Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Who will start at left tackle in 2015?

It's starting to seem as though SirVincent Rogers, our starting LT for all of 2014, will enter free agency next week. Fortunately we have no shortage of options at that position, including bringing him back.

What is your prediction?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    It's starting to seem as though SirVincent Rogers, our starting LT for all of 2014, will enter free agency next week. Fortunately we have no shortage of options at that position, including bringing him back.

What is your prediction?
    IF Rogers leaves - yep, lots of options; said it a few times before here - IMO King was outstanding at OT as a rookie for the Argos = better than Rogers and not sure why he bounced around the O-line last year rather than progressing to be a dominant fixture at OT? Sewell still has potential IMO; and Mitchell was a proven starting OT in US college ball (playing mostly left tackle), as was Tyler Holmes; and somebody predicted the Argos could draft Jacob Ruby - a starting OT at Richmond in Div I ball; don't know much about Braxton (his bio says he played right tackle in US college ball); but i believe an import will easily be favored to hold down the spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IF Rogers leaves - yep, lots of options; said it a few times before here - IMO King was outstanding at OT as a rookie for the Argos = better than Rogers and not sure why he bounced around the O-line last year rather than progressing to be a dominant fixture at OT? Sewell still has potential IMO; and Mitchell was a proven starting OT in US college ball (playing mostly left tackle), as was Tyler Holmes; and somebody predicted the Argos could draft Jacob Ruby - a starting OT at Richmond in Div I ball; don't know much about Braxton (his bio says he played right tackle in US college ball); but i believe an import will easily be favored to hold down the spot.
    Barker has always said that his dream would be to start 5 non-imports on the offensive line but I don't think that the Argos are in position to do that yet. It would be great to see Sewell really step up this season and take that left tackle spot but he will have to improve considerably given the struggles that we saw out of him when he played there last year. In fairness to Sewell though, he had one start against John Chick and more than a few veteran left tackles have struggled against Chick over the years.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    IMO because of the importance of protecting Ricky Ray the Left Tackle can't be just some guy named Joe Who. That's why I don't think a young inexperienced player like Sewell or Mitchell or Ruby (if they do in fact draft him) will be handed the LT spot. Rogers would seem the most logical choice if they can come to an agreement. Maybe he is still fishing around the NFL for a tryout. I would think King or Holmes would get the first shot unless Barker goes off script and can bring in a veteran like Stanley Bryant from Calgary, a free agent all star.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Would love to see Sewell start, however if he's not ready there's no point in forcing him in at left tackle. So I suppose "Plan A/B" would be starting King or Rogers (if a deal gets done), although IMO King has looked better than Rogers at times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Would love to see Sewell start, however if he's not ready there's no point in forcing him in at left tackle. So I suppose "Plan A/B" would be starting King or Rogers (if a deal gets done), although IMO King has looked better than Rogers at times.
    I thought that King looked better than Rogers in 2013 when King was playing at right tackle but Rogers seemed to surpass him last year when King mostly played right guard. BTW, an interesting stat that I saw recently was that the Argos' offensive line gave up the third fewest sacks in the league last season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    King was really good in 2013 and Rogers was mostly solid in 2014. There's no reason both guys can't continue to develop into capable, and potentially all-star-calibre, players with Himebauch coaching. With them plus Holmes, VZ and Keeping, I'm not worried about out starters. We need more depth, tho -- at this point Sewell and Dhillon are probably the next two guys on the depth chart, and neither has played much (or at all in Dhillon's case). As I've said before, Mitchell seems serviceable but that's it, and Smith is nearing the end.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Smith is nearing the end.
    If the Argos do add some depth, I wonder if Smith even makes it out of training camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    IMO Sewell is more of a RT and could be groomed to eventually replace Van Zeyl. I would think he will be the #1 backup there while he learns the pro game. We have to remember he hasn't played much since 2012. The 2013 year he missed much of the year with injuries and then last year was a "getting his feet wet year". Still don't know the reasoning of starting him that game against John Chick at LT. Not exactly a confidence builder and Ricky could have been injured, but Sewell didn't quite look like a pylon either. Its just that he probably saw some moves and quickness he hadn't faced before. I always thought spot duty later in a game when winning big or losing big was a good time to give rookie OT's some playing time to start. I hope he can eventually start and have a long career somewhere on the Offensive Line. The NFL had a quick look at him and apparently didn't think he was ready. Some of these big tall guys seem to take a little longer to perfect the pass blocking required in the CFL. Joel Reinders seems to be another case of slow developing. I remember Chris Walby and Miles Gorrell didn't exactly set the world on fire their first years in the league but both turned out ok in long run.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    IMO Sewell is more of a RT and could be groomed to eventually replace Van Zeyl.
    Sewell has only ever played LT, I think. Are you projecting him as a RT based on talent level?

I hope we're very patient with him, and stick with the (apparent) plan to ease him in at LT.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Sewell has only ever played LT, I think. Are you projecting him as a RT based on talent level?

I hope we're very patient with him, and stick with the (apparent) plan to ease him in at LT.
    I believe the thought process there is that left tackle is more important to protect a right handed QBs blind-side, AND that import OTs are somehow inherently superior to Canadian ones, so LT becomes a pencilled-in good ole import only position to a lot of, goo, er, CFL thinkers. Cept that a lot of teams have employed average to mediocre to poor American left tackles (see Winnipeg or Edmonton or Hamilton lately) and Montreal has the best pair of OTs, IMO, in the league and they happen to be NIs.

I just hope Sewell can progress and improve and contribute to the Argo O-line - wether at left or right tackle or guard maybe; and maybe Heimbauch is a real good O-line coach who can help Sewell or evaluate & deploy him properly or where he could be a fit. And if he doesn't pan out - that happens plenty in pro ball, so another young O-lineman may be picked-up in the draft - maybe even this coming one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    We can scratch Rogers (FA to Ottawa) and now Scott Mitchell (released ?) too.

Mitchell just didn't pan-out as a CFL O-lineman i guess after being a top prospect / draft pick with a nice Div. I resume.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    I hope a FA camp can uncover a Mike Pearson. He looked like he was going to be a fixture at LT until that gruesome injury in the 2007 season finale in Regina.

Achievements:

Level
    We just released the enigmatic Scott Mitchell, so he (like Rogers) is no longer a candidate.

For the moment we're a bit thin on the OL. I'm sure that the draft will help to address that, so it's hardly a concern, but I had thought that Mitchell would be a useful backup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think AV expressed concern at LG with Wayne Smith there right now & I agree. I wonder if Matt Sewell could start there, similar type player to Matt O'Donnell who played OT in the CIS but played G in Edmonton with Himebach coaching him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Anybody heard anything lately on Joe Eppele or Greg Wojt? Either one could be the answer for one Guard position if they are healthy again. But there has been stories that injuries may have ended their Football careers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think AV expressed concern at LG with Wayne Smith there right now & I agree. I wonder if Matt Sewell could start there, similar type player to Matt O'Donnell who played OT in the CIS but played G in Edmonton with Himebach coaching him.
    Holmes is the LG still, unless he's moving to another position. Smith doesn't start under any scenario other than injuries, I imagine.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    It was as a starting RG that I had my concerns with Smith. He is a great back up to have as he can play pretty well 4 of the 5 spots on the line, but his health issues should limit him to a back up role.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Holmes is the LG still, unless he's moving to another position. Smith doesn't start under any scenario other than injuries, I imagine.
    My apologies Paul. I had envisioned Sewell at RG, between Keeping & King, in place of Smith.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Anybody heard anything lately on Joe Eppele or Greg Wojt? Either one could be the answer for one Guard position if they are healthy again. But there has been stories that injuries may have ended their Football careers.
    The Ottawa papers have repeatedly said that Eppele is expected to retire. I recall reading last fall that he had lost a lot of weight which implied that he is getting ready for his post-football career.