Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OV Argo is absolutely correct, there are example of players with mediocre testing results becoming excellent players and excellent testers not even making pro. The concern for Jordon is not just his slow 40 but also his poor vertical jump and his struggles with the agility drills. If one compares his results to LB's presently on the Argo roster (all but one sub 4.80) and they have a definite height advantage over Jordon H; it is clear, unless he manages to improve his results in the combine, he could be in danger of sliding out the 1st round. This is not to denigrate his outstanding college performance but poor testing results may put doubt in the scouts' minds as to whether he can perform at a high level in the pros.

Hopefully, he improves at the combine and then goes on to a successful and rewarding pro career. It is noteworthy that Curtis Newton, who was a second team CIS All-Canadian at Guelph, had fractionally poorer 40 time (5.05) but ended up playing all 16 games for the Argos last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    OV Argo is absolutely correct, there are example of players with mediocre testing results becoming excellent players and excellent testers not even making pro. The concern for Jordon is not just his slow 40 but also his poor vertical jump and his struggles with the agility drills. If one compares his results to LB's presently on the Argo roster (all but one sub 4.80) and they have a definite height advantage over Jordon H; it is clear, unless he manages to improve his results in the combine, he could be in danger of sliding out the 1st round. This is not to denigrate his outstanding college performance but poor testing results may put doubt in the scouts' minds as to whether he can perform at a high level in the pros.

Hopefully, he improves at the combine and then goes on to a successful and rewarding pro career. It is noteworthy that Curtis Newton, who was a second team CIS All-Canadian at Guelph, had fractionally poorer 40 time (5.05) but ended up playing all 16 games for the Argos last year.

Andy Fantuz ran one of the slowest Combine 40 times of any receiver to make a CFL roster in the past few decades probably. Only total brain-dead moron "scouts" would have ignored his off the charts outstanding receiver production in college ball (league leading + all-time record setting catch #s, and a CIS All-Canadian every season from rookie on in), and said "i think this guy is way too slow to play pro on my team" without at least considering to look at him in TC; gee i wonder if Fantuz was able to play at "pro level" ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Andy Fantuz ran one of the slowest Combine 40 times of any receiver to make a CFL roster in the past few decades probably. Only total brain-dead moron "scouts" would have ignored his off the charts outstanding receiver production in college ball (league leading + all-time record setting catch #s, and a CIS All-Canadian every season from rookie on in), and said "i think this guy is way too slow to play pro on my team" without at least considering to look at him in TC; gee i wonder if Fantuz was able to play at "pro level" ?
    The obsession with combine numbers is puzzling sometimes, while speed, agility and strength are important these numbers are only part of the equation.
    Watch game film and simply see if the player can play the game, novel concept.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The obsession with combine numbers is puzzling sometimes, while speed, agility and strength are important these numbers are only part of the equation.
    I believe this factor may be multiplied a bit with some G, er, you know, CFL "scouts" - who may have a bit of a condescending attitude towards Canadian talent: big deal - you led lowly CIS ball (in Herdman's case D II US college ball) in receiving or rushing or tackles or whatever; but you need to bench press x or run 40 time y to play in my league.

I`m quite interested in CFL Canadian prospects and follow their Combine performance and testing numbers, but IMO it is much more important to be an accomplished football player first; testing numbers are good backing material though - just not all important.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I think this is a phenomenon that goes beyond sport. For example, journalists love to discuss polls because you can't argue with the numbers (although you can argue with the poll methodology just as you can argue with whether scouts are testing the key variables in determining the success of an athlete). If the player's or poll's numbers don't match the actual result, the scout or journalist can say his conclusion was at least typical of others in the profession - i.e. he is not outside the mainstream and therefore at least average in his capabilities.