Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

How Good Is Jordan Herdman? (His Dad Played for the Argos)

I didn't know where to put this thread as Jordan Herdman does not play in the CIS, but is a Canadian linebacker playing Division II NCAA football at Simon Fraser University. Last year, as a 20-year-old sophomore, he smashed the GNAC single-season defensive tackle record with 165 tackles - an average of 15 a game - and 66 ahead of his nearest rival. Along the way he broke the single game tackle record with 27, won GNAC defensive player of the year, made the All-Conference team, and had a 3.99 (out of 4.00) academic GPA in Biomedical Physiology. Furthermore, Jordan's father, James Reid, played linebacker for the Argos as well as the Philadelphia Eagles, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan. His twin brother, Justin, also made the GNAC All-Conference team playing for SFU.
    At 6-2, 231 could Jordan end up a number 1 CFL draft choice or go to the NFL after his senior year?

Interestingly, he is coached by Solomon Elimimian’s brother, Abe. The article described Jordan in the following manner:

None (of the players he coaches) are brighter than the sophomore linebacker Jordan Herdman. ...
    Herdman doesn’t watch CFL or NFL games on TV because his daily schedule “operates on a fixed amount of time.” But he does put in more video study because of Solomon Elimimian’s influence. The Lion taught him that there is an intellectual component to football, and that game preparation doesn’t start and end with on-field practice.

“If there’s one thing I learned from him it’s how to be a student of the game,” Herdman said. “Before, I didn’t spend as much time with film work as I do now. He stressed the importance of that. I feel it’s helped me grow as a player.”
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...370/story.html

http://athletics.sfu.ca/roster.aspx?...&path=football

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I didn't know where to put this thread as Jordan Herdman does not play in the CIS, but is a Canadian linebacker playing Division II NCAA football at Simon Fraser University. Last year, as a 20-year-old sophomore, he smashed the GNAC single-season defensive tackle record with 165 tackles - an average of 15 a game - and 66 ahead of his nearest rival. Along the way he broke the single game tackle record with 27, won GNAC defensive player of the year, made the All-Conference team, and had a 3.99 (out of 4.00) academic GPA in Biomedical Physiology. Furthermore, Jordan's father, James Reid, played linebacker for the Argos as well as the Philadelphia Eagles, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan. His twin brother, Justin, also made the GNAC All-Conference team playing for SFU.
    At 6-2, 231 could Jordan end up a number 1 CFL draft choice or go to the NFL after his senior year?

Interestingly, he is coached by Solomon Elimimian’s brother, Abe. The article described Jordan in the following manner:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...370/story.html

http://athletics.sfu.ca/roster.aspx?...&path=football

Herdman had a phenomenal season, and for a sophomore - amazing tackle numbers and conference D player of the year = some CFL teams should be keeping a close eye on this guy leading up to his draft year, and maybe could draw NFL interest as well.

SFU producing some very good talent; receiver Lamar Durant - up this CFL draft - maybe one of the most talented Canadian receivers to come along in quite awhile - big target, looks quite fast and had a fantastic receiving season there a couple of years back; i'll bet this guy makes the NFL though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I realized that I spelled Jordan Herdman's father's last name wrong. He was James Reed, not James Reid. Here is the dad's CFL and NFL profile, in case anyone remembers him.
    Reed was originally signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent in 1977 and released during the 1978 season. The Montreal Alouttes signed Reed in March of 1979, but he didn't play any games for them before being released in August of 1979 and picked up by Winnipeg. Reed played for Winnipeg in 1979, 1980 and 1981, missed the 1982 season and was released by the Bombers in September of 1983. The Montreal Concordes picked up Reed for the final regular season game and rleased him in November. Reed played in the USFL for the New Orleans Breakers and the Washing ton Federals in 1984 and 1985 before returning to the CFL by signing with the Saskatchewan Roughrides in February of 1985. Reed played three games for the Riders before being released in July and picked up by Toronto in August of 1985.
    1979 WPG 12 1 20 20 0 20
    1980 WPG 15 3 21 7 0 21
    1981 WPG 16 1 48 48 0 48
    1983 MON 1 0 0 0 0 0
    1983 WPG 1 0 0 0 0 0
    1985 TOR 4 0 0 0 0 0
    1985 SASK 3 2 0 0 0 0

1979 WPG 2 0 0 0 0 0
    1980 WPG 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1981 WPG 1 0 0 0 0 0
    1983 MON 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1983 WPG 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1985 TOR 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1985 SASK 0 0 0 0 0 0

No tackle statistics were kept for these years.
    Reed had one blocked kick in 1981.
    http://www.cflapedia.com/Players/r/reed_james.htm

1977 22 PHI 57 4 0 3
    Career 4 0 3

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...R/ReedJa20.htm

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    SFU's Jordan Herdman has had another outstanding year as a junior at SFU. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when he is draft eligible.
    By the way, there looks like there are some other very good players at SFU, his twin brother, Justin.

[QUOTE]For the second straight year Simon Fraser University linebacker Jordan Herdman was the unanimous repeat selection as Great Northwest Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year and the Clan placed six players on the All-Conference team.

Herdman was the coaches' selection for Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive season. The junior led the GNAC and finished the regular season ranked fifth in Division II with an average of 14.8 tackles per game. He also led the league in tackles for loss and was ranked third in Division II with eight solo tackles per game. Herdman's season was capped by a 26-tackle performance against Humboldt State on Oct. 31, one short of his own GNAC single game record. He set a conference record with 17 solo tackles in that contest.

Herdman was named to the All-Conference First Team along with his brother, linebacker Justin Herdman, defensive lineman Quinn Horton, and offensive lineman Michael Couture. All were unanimous selections by conference coaches. Selected to the All-Conference Second Team were running back Ante Milanovic-Litreand wide receiver Justin Buren.
    [/QUOTE]

http://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2015/11/18/FB_1118153736.aspx

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jordan Herdman made another Outstanding list also, leading the GNAC All-Academic list. Such capability could help make him a better pro football player.

For the second year in a row, the Great Northwest Athletic Conference’s (GNAC) top defensive player is also at the top of the list of academic performers.
    Simon Fraser’s Jordan Herdman, the GNAC Defensive Player of the Year, leads the list of 49 selections to the GNAC Football All-Academic Team.
    Herdman, who led the conference and finished third in Division II with 14.8 tackles per game, has maintained a 3.99 cumulative grade point average, out of a possible 4.33, as a biomedical physiology major.
    Joining Herdman on the Academic All-Conference team are his twin brother Justin Herdman and junior Andrew Pauls, who also both study biomedical physiology. All three student athletes are repeat selections.

https://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2...mic-stars.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Jordan Herdman sounds like a sure-fire CFL 1st rounder - but he might even draw NFL interest - 2 time conference D player of the year as a sophomore & a Junior with record breaking tackle stats = OUTSTANDING.

That big DT Quinn Horton sounds like a good CFL prospect too - and should be up this draft maybe (listed as a Senior) ? Sometimes now forget about SFU as a historic supplier of good CFL talent, but they are playing Div II ball now, and a lot of very good football talent out of BC it seems.

Thanks for the links / info jerrym

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I wonder if a team might try to pull a Sedin and try to draft both Jordan Herdman and his twin brother Justin, who is also a pretty good football player at SFU and was also a first team All-Star in the Division II NCAA GNAC (Great Northwest Athletic Conference), possibly by trading up. Twins often interact in a special way, as evidenced in the Sedins.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I wonder if a team might try to pull a Sedin and try to draft both Jordan Herdman and his twin brother Justin, who is also a pretty good football player at SFU and was also a first team All-Star in the Division II NCAA GNAC (Great Northwest Athletic Conference), possibly by trading up. Twins often interact in a special way, as evidenced in the Sedins.
    Hey OV, who were those twin DBs Ottawa had in the 1980s (I think)? Maybe from Simon Fraser?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Hey OV, who were those twin DBs Ottawa had in the 1980s (I think)? Maybe from Simon Fraser?
    Glen and Gary Cook....from University of Richmond I think.

I am curious as to why Herman has not cracked the top 20 prospect list after 2 great years at SFU?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post

I am curious as to why Herman has not cracked the top 20 prospect list after 2 great years at SFU?
    Has he declared he is forgoing his senior year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Has he declared he is forgoing his senior year?
    Oh, error on my behalf....I recall reading about him last season, for some reason I thought he was already a senior.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

One of the Cooks - can't recall whether it was Glenn or Gary - played at Carleton while the other one played elsewhere.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A pair twins did play for the Baltimore Stallions - the Goodwins. If I remember correctly, they tried out for the Montreal Als but didn't make it because of the import rules now applying once the team moved to Canada.

Baltimore CFL rookies Matt and Malcolm Goodwin are fraternal, not identical, twins. But their sibling bonds have made them almost as inseparable as Siamese twins."Growing up in Iowa, we always played on the same sandlot teams and were together on a flag football championship team," Matt, a defensive back, said.
    Both Matt and Malcolm, some 30 pounds heavier and a linebacker at Ames High, received offers from several small colleges in the Midwest. But the twins, both excellent students, chose to enroll at Iowa State on academic scholarships and ultimately won spots on the football team as walk-ons.

Matt, a political science major with a law degree in his plans, dropped football his sophomore and junior years to concentrate on his studies and finished with a 3.27 grade-point average. Malcolm, who earned a degree in management, led the Cyclones in tackles as a senior, ending his college career with a 19-tackle performance against Colorado.
    But the twins were separated after graduating in 1993. As free agents, Malcolm won a tryout with the Los Angeles Rams and Matt tried out with the Chicago Bears. The Goodwins were released in preseason, with Matt lasting until the Bears' final cut. "I thought I had it made," Matt said. "I played in every preseason game and my roommate, Keeshon Johnson, and I were the only rookie defensive backs left. Everyone kept telling me I was safe, but a veteran got cut by Dallas, and the Bears grabbed him and let me go."
    This spring, the Goodwins' agent, Robbie Poplin, fielded invitations, and when the twins got an opportunity to audition for the new CFL franchise in Baltimore, they jumped at it.
    "There really isn't that much difference in talent from the NFL," Malcolm said. "There are a lot of guys playing in the CFL who have Super Bowl rings."

The Goodwins survived all the cuts to win jobs on coach Don Matthews' special teams. Matt made an immediate impact in the season-opening 28-20 victory in Toronto on Thursday. In the third quarter, he blocked a field-goal attempt, and in the fourth quarter, he recovered a fumbled punt.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...-goodwin-twins

Matt Goodwin

Goodwin had an outstanding rookie season with 54 defensive tackles, 3 interceptions, 3 Quarterback sacks, 4 blocked punts (!) and 4 fumble recoveries, three of which he returned for touchdowns. For all this, Goodwin was named the CFL rookie of the year in 1994. Goodwin compiled similar stats in hissecond season with Baltimore in 1995 when they went on to win the Grey Cup. Goodwin became a free agen after the 1995 season.
    1994 BALT 17 54 18 72 1 1 3 38
    1995 BALT 15 50 10 60 1 1 1 9

1994 BALT 3 54 18 0 31
    1995 BALT 2 9 4.5 0 9

1994 BALT 4 82 20.5 3 39 4
    1995 BALT 3 2 0.7 0 2 0

1994 BALT 0
    1995 BALT 0

Goodwin had four blocked punts in 1994 and 2 in 1995.
    http://www.cflapedia.com/Players/g/goodwin_matt.htm

Here are some comments from the Baltimore Stallion fan website starting with the one below. One commenter asks if Malcolm Goodwin was cut from the Stallions in the middle of the second year.
    I haven't been on this newsgroup since the freakin' Ravens drove the
    beloved Stallions out of Memorial Stadium and I became a bitter reborn
    NFL fan. I'm back for a while at least!
    http://sporttoday.org/1_64d8ec2a96a976b8_1.htm
    Last edited by jerrym; 01-24-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    One of the Cooks - can't recall whether it was Glenn or Gary - played at Carleton while the other one played elsewhere.

Glenn was a DB who went on to play college ball at Richmond in the US (there were several Ottawa area guys who ended up playing at Richmond back around then - musta been some connection there ?); Gary was a receiver who played at Carleton in CIS ball. Both were CFL draft territorial exemptions by the Ottawa Rough Riders back in the day. Glenn played/started some at DB (not real sure if it was mostly d-half or corner?) with Ottawa, including in that infamous 81 GC game; Gary did not play as much in the CFL that i recall but I remember him playing some receiver with Ottawa.
    Side note there too - HS QB in Kanata there was Mark Lee, who went on to play QB at Carleton and thus connect with Gary there, before he went on to become the sports commentator we know from calling CFL and NHL hockey and other sports on CBC or where-ever for a long time now.

The Cook bros. were HS football team-mates of mine: both were superb football talents (at HS level anyways) and nice guys too.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-25-2016 at 03:07 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Herdman would only be on the CFL scouting list when it's his draft year - next year i believe - have to think he would be near the top of that list.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;77631]Glenn was a DB who went on to play college ball at Richmond in the US (there were several Ottawa area guys who ended up playing at Richmond back around then - musta been some connection there ?); Gary was a receiver who played at Carleton in CIS ball. Both were CFL draft territorial exemptions by the Ottawa Rough Riders back in the day. Glenn played/started some at DB (not real sure if it was mostly d-half or corner?) with Ottawa, including in that infamous 81 GC game; Gary did not play as much in the CFL that i recall but I remember him playing some receiver with Ottawa.
    Side note there too - HS QB in Kanata there was Mark Lee, who went on to play QB at Carleton and thus connect with Gary there, before he went on to become the sports commentator we know from calling CFL and NHL hockey and other sports on CBC or where-ever for a long time now.

Too bad TSN didn't pick Mark Lee up to do some CFL games after he was dumped by good old CBC. I don't think he is doing much on Rogers unless it is something besides Hockey.

Rick Sowieta is a name that rings a bell as a former Richmond U linebacker who had a long career in Ottawa. I also think that there might have been an Ottawa running back who played there as well. There must have been an Ottawa connection to Richmond.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=doubleblue;77634]
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Glenn was a DB who went on to play college ball at Richmond in the US (there were several Ottawa area guys who ended up playing at Richmond back around then - musta been some connection there ?); Gary was a receiver who played at Carleton in CIS ball. Both were CFL draft territorial exemptions by the Ottawa Rough Riders back in the day. Glenn played/started some at DB (not real sure if it was mostly d-half or corner?) with Ottawa, including in that infamous 81 GC game; Gary did not play as much in the CFL that i recall but I remember him playing some receiver with Ottawa.

Too bad TSN didn't pick Mark Lee up to do some CFL games after he was dumped by good old CBC. I don't think he is doing much on Rogers unless it is something besides Hockey.

Rick Sowieta is a name that rings a bell as a former Richmond U linebacker who had a long career in Ottawa. I also think that there might have been an Ottawa running back who played there as well. There must have been an Ottawa connection to Richmond.
    Ian Beckstead and DT Mark Seale both played at Richmond and were Ottawa Rough Rider territorial exemptions in the CFL draft back circa early 80s - and both went on to play for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;77635]
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post

Ian Beckstead and DT Mark Seale both played at Richmond and were Ottawa Rough Rider territorial exemptions in the CFL draft back circa early 80s - and both went on to play for the Argos.
    I remember those guys. Also see a DB named McCaffery was drafted away back in the late 70's, and of course the OT Ruby Montreal drafted last year.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Please don't ever talk about The Twins (Sedins) on here EVER again. One reason we moved back to Ontario was so we didn't have to hear The Twins...The Twins..The Twins on BC stations anymore. The Leprechaun look a likes piss me off.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Please don't ever talk about The Twins (Sedins) on here EVER again. One reason we moved back to Ontario was so we didn't have to hear The Twins...The Twins..The Twins on BC stations anymore. The Leprechaun look a likes piss me off.
    The Twins!!

LOL!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country