Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Based on this article sounds like maritime expansion may be folly

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/na...service=mobile

Thoughts anyone know the status out there on the ground
    Slap a coat of paint on the abandoned restaurant and our asshole owner may think about moving the Argonauts there.
    Quebec City would be an area of consideration for expansion, Quebec folk love football and what a great rivalry you would create with Montreal.
    10 team league would be ideal for a balanced schedule.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As a Maritimer, sorry, I'm just not buying that story. A team would be well supported if it was, in actuality, seen as a Maritime (not Halifax) team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Based on this article sounds like maritime expansion may be folly

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/na...service=mobile

Thoughts anyone know the status out there on the ground
    New Brunswick has quite a bit of Natural Gas reserves which they could turn into jobs and income for the Province. But they elected a Government that ran on a platform against fracking. So some of their poverty is seemingly self inflicted IMO.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    As a Maritimer, sorry, I'm just not buying that story. A team would be well supported if it was, in actuality, seen as a Maritime (not Halifax) team.
    I think this is an interesting and important point. Obviously the BC Lions and Saskatchewan Roughriders are named after provinces, not cities. I'm not sure how much the name matters in establishing a following outside the city a team is located in. That said, what could a team in the Maritimes be called, if not named after one city? There is more than one province in eastern Canada, and none of them have very big populations. Could the word Maritime be in the name? Maybe that wouldn't work, I have no idea.

Also, I think it is important that a new stadium built in the Martimes be a pretty good size. I know some people talk about building a stadium with between 25 000 - 28 000 seats. I think that is too small. I would build one with at least 33 000 seats. My reason is I think it would be more effective to try and draw people from other cities, and sell more tickets at very affordable prices than fewer tickets at much higher prices. Some people say a team in eastern Canada could not work because of a lack of a corporate base and too little wealth in that part of the country. I think the solution is to sell more tickets at lower prices, rather than fewer tickets at higher prices. I think a team could more than break even if it did this effectively. It would also lead to big crowds and a great atmosphere at games.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie Fan View Post
    what could a team in the Maritimes be called, if not named after one city?
    Also, I think it is important that a new stadium built in the Martimes be a pretty good size. I know some people talk about building a stadium with between 25 000 - 28 000 seats. I think that is too small. I would build one with at least 33 000 seats.
    Atlantic Schooners, (has a history, 30+ years without actually being the name of the franchise) with little objection.

The stadium has to follow the model of the new east stadiums (24k) 33K is way to big. The games have to be sold as individual events.

As a Maritimer, who has lived in all three provinces I know Maritimers are spoiled, we like our lifestyle, we don't like to commute. I've met people from the GTA who commute an hour and a half to work, most Maritimers see that as insane. Anyone who takes over 15 minutes to get to work has a long commute unless it's something like Halifax traffic.

I see people everyday flying out to Fort Mac but have heard few success stories. Most go out there make good money and then waste it, few are those who saved their money and came back and settled into a better lifestyle at home.

We don't have a history of large crowds for regular events, 24k is more than enough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie Fan View Post
    I think this is an interesting and important point. Obviously the BC Lions and Saskatchewan Roughriders are named after provinces, not cities. I'm not sure how much the name matters in establishing a following outside the city a team is located in. That said, what could a team in the Maritimes be called, if not named after one city? There is more than one province in eastern Canada, and none of them have very big populations. Could the word Maritime be in the name? Maybe that wouldn't work, I have no idea.

Also, I think it is important that a new stadium built in the Martimes be a pretty good size. I know some people talk about building a stadium with between 25 000 - 28 000 seats. I think that is too small. I would build one with at least 33 000 seats. My reason is I think it would be more effective to try and draw people from other cities, and sell more tickets at very affordable prices than fewer tickets at much higher prices. Some people say a team in eastern Canada could not work because of a lack of a corporate base and too little wealth in that part of the country. I think the solution is to sell more tickets at lower prices, rather than fewer tickets at higher prices. I think a team could more than break even if it did this effectively. It would also lead to big crowds and a great atmosphere at games.
    The name is huge. At least half the Riders following is from outside Regina. Without that, the Riders would have folded long ago. As a matter of fact when they became the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1947 it was because Saskatoon and Moose Jaw's team had folded and the only way to save the Regina Roughriders was to have the team belong to the entire province.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I like the PEI Spuds. Now that PEI has a bridge it can no longer be called an island. What do you think Double Dare? Plus why would you drive an hour back and forth for work. You must be from away and love snow shoveling?

Atlantic Schooners is the only name.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Atlantic Krakens.

The Argos already have boats covered.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Atlantic Krakens.
    And that has what to do with the Maritimes? Is Canadian history covered in Ontario schools?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    And that has what to do with the Maritimes? Is Canadian history covered in Ontario schools?
    Nothing, it's just a name, sorry but I'm not a fan of the Schooners name.
    There wasn't a need to be a douchebag about it.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I like the PEI Spuds. Now that PEI has a bridge it can no longer be called an island. What do you think Double Dare? Plus why would you drive an hour back and forth for work. You must be from away and love snow shoveling?

Atlantic Schooners is the only name.
    Someone in Hamilton was sold a 50 million winning ticket to Lotto Max. I think the winner, maybe a Ti Cat fan, should buy the Argos and relocate the team to the Maritimes! Screw Toronto ... the fans aren't worthy! Ha, ha, ha.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    There should be lots of east coast people across Canada that would support the team for road games.... Would be nice in my life time if I could see a grey cup in Halifax.... Think that would be a fun party.... hope this happens some day....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Atlantic Schooners, (has a history, 30+ years without actually being the name of the franchise) with little objection.

The stadium has to follow the model of the new east stadiums (24k) 33K is way to big. The games have to be sold as individual events.

As a Maritimer, who has lived in all three provinces I know Maritimers are spoiled, we like our lifestyle, we don't like to commute. I've met people from the GTA who commute an hour and a half to work, most Maritimers see that as insane. Anyone who takes over 15 minutes to get to work has a long commute unless it's something like Halifax traffic.

I see people everyday flying out to Fort Mac but have heard few success stories. Most go out there make good money and then waste it, few are those who saved their money and came back and settled into a better lifestyle at home.

We don't have a history of large crowds for regular events, 24k is more than enough.
    I have always like the name the Maritime Tide with 4 cresting waves on the helmet to represent the provinces.

Sort of like this Tulane concept or the Boston Breakers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I have always like the name the Maritime Tide with 4 cresting waves on the helmet to represent the provinces.
    That's interesting, but if it was Maritime it would be three waves. I was thinking what word would go with Maritime and it's a hard one to match. Maritime Tide almost sounds repetitive with the last syllable of Maritime. I'm not sure whether it slips well off the tongue or not. I don't mind Atlantic Tide and it does tie in well with the provinces.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    That's interesting, but if it was Maritime it would be three waves. I was thinking what word would go with Maritime and it's a hard one to match. Maritime Tide almost sounds repetitive with the last syllable of Maritime. I'm not sure whether it slips well off the tongue or not. I don't mind Atlantic Tide and it does tie in well with the provinces.
    I could get behind that the Atlantic Tide has a nice ring to it.

I was thinking four pei, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

And we don't have a singular team name yet!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Atlantic Corsairs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Someone in Hamilton was sold a 50 million winning ticket to Lotto Max. I think the winner, maybe a Ti Cat fan, should buy the Argos and relocate the team to the Maritimes! Screw Toronto ... the fans aren't worthy! Ha, ha, ha.

or we can fold the argos and watch the ticats fold a mere 3 minutes later. book it!

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I was thinking four pei, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
    Little known fact: Newfoundland isn't a "Maritime province". I assume that's because the name was established well before Newfoundland became a province.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Uhh, it's a very well known fact, that's why Matthew later corrected the previous post.