Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The new commish has it all figured out, you need a good owner, stadium and corporate sponsors for expansion to happen, Thanks Captain Obvious.
    A lot of hate for the new commish, did he kick everybody's dog or something ?
    Wait is that offensive to say that ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    [QUOTE=Argo57;74416]The new commish has it all figured out, you need a good owner, stadium and corporate sponsors for expansion to happen, Thanks Captain Obvious.[/QUOTE

Stadiums - particularly relatively modest ones that only seat 25 K or so, that the CFL now sees as their model - can get built ... yes they can, with fund$ coming from lots of places - federal (the new Liberal govt. just got a massive majority in Atlantic Canada - IF some big-wig within cared about Canadian football and the multi-faceted boost a stadium/entertainment facility could give to Atlantic Canada - this project would EASILY happen) provincial and municipal governments, local investors who have LOTS of money and care about the sport & community (see Ottawa's group now), AND, gasp, the CFL - ALL teams and led by a Commissioner who has some guts & vision - have some dollars they could set aside to contribute there - that's if they're not cheapskates. Combine all the above resources with a concerted effort led by the CFL that would believe expansion could help their sport/business a LOT (IMO - easily the single biggest thing the CFL could do to increase their brand & profile & prestige - expand to a 10 team coast to coast league in Canada - with 5 games on TV per week instead of 4, and 2 seperate Conference play-off semis = no one play-off game win to get to the GC) = the money could be put together. Sorry, financial experts who say no way.

But yes - this would take some vision instead of CFL myopia and cheap$kate greed. This" we kicked the tires a bit in the Atlantic but nobody home" routine by the CFL is total gutless hogwash IMO; they should have somebody full-time on the case - for years now - lobbying all 3 levels of govt., seeking out local business help and a CFL fund in place and growing for this cause. Orridge is not the guy there - I doubt. Could happen / shoulda happened by now - just IMO and sorry bout that to all the excuse makers coming up with reasons why it can't happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    expand to a 10 team coast to coast league in Canada - with 5 games on TV per week instead of 4, and 2 seperate Conference play-off semis = no one play-off game win to get to the GC)
    So you'd want 8 out of 10 teams to make the playoffs?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The new commish has it all figured out, you need a good owner, stadium and corporate sponsors for expansion to happen, Thanks Captain Obvious.
    ROFL...No wonder the owners are paying him the big bucks...the guy's proving to be a friggin genius with these comments. Would be nice if he added passionate fans.

I find it funny that Halifax has no money or interest to invest in a stadium to attract concerts and a CFL team, but there is talk about a new arena for the Mooseheads...isn't their arena barely 20 years old, if even. That doesn't sound like an arena that needs to be replaced.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    but there is talk about a new arena for the Mooseheads...isn't their arena barely 20 years old, if even. That doesn't sound like an arena that needs to be replaced.
    There was talk about building a new arena, but that went to the waist side when Scotiabank bought the naming rights of which the majority of the money is going to upgrade the old Metro Centre, which was built in 1978 as previously mentioned. The new renovations just bought at least 10 more years before talk of a new arena starts up again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Somewhere, in the last couple of weeks, I read that Halifax turned down a proposal for a stadium/arena complex for the city just recently. So I'm thinking the possibility of a Maritime expansion will be put on hold for another 5-10 years .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    How much money do you want the league to kick in, OV?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    How much money do you want the league to kick in, OV?
    How bout starting with a 3 or 2 or even 1 million a year account (that could have been started years ago)? Too much you say and can't be done? Braley, Wet-and-all and Bob-O Young or the Saskatchewan Rough Riders have no money ? CFL teams and the league itself make no profits now? Can you show me the CFL's books that show ALL revenues including merchandise sales, corporate sponsors, TV revenues, etc. ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's easy when it isn't your money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    It's easy when it isn't your money.

Sure; just like it's easy to be a cheap$kate and myopic and claim there is no money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sure; just like it's easy to be a cheap$kate and myopic and claim there is no money.
    Until someone steps forward to offer money, there is no money. I do not believe any level of govt is going to kick anything significant towards a facility that would bring in serious revenue 10 times a year. And I don't believe the private sector in that market sees any possibility of making it work financially. Maybe that's myopic; IMO it is realistic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Until someone steps forward to offer money, there is no money. I do not believe any level of govt is going to kick anything significant towards a facility that would bring in serious revenue 10 times a year. And I don't believe the private sector in that market sees any possibility of making it work financially. Maybe that's myopic; IMO it is realistic.

Not sure if you are that familiar with the new Lansdowne facility, but it hardly used only 10x a year - people in Ottawa visit there every day; besides CFL football, the Park has stores & shops, restaurant/ bars, green / recreation space, and there is a good sized hockey arena on site as well; and a nice stadium can host lots of other events too - besides just CFL regular season - football - eg. the Vanier Cup and other football championship games; major soccer or perhaps rugby tournaments and matches; big name band concerts, conventions. Lots of uses for lots of different people and the project creates jobs - some temporary and some permanent.

But i guess there is no need for that kind of stuff or a major construction project and modern development in Atlantic Canada. And the CFL and its BOGoofs should continue to hide in their little shell and pinch their pennies.

And the federal govt never drops 100 million dollars or so on basically anything do they? - not interested in a major urban development or community infrastructure projects that could benefit many people and businesses and create jobs too? - nah, and provincial or municipal govts. should have no such interest either; yep - just NO money out there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure if you are that familiar with the new Lansdowne facility, but it hardly used only 10x a year - people in Ottawa visit there every day; besides CFL football, the Park has stores & shops, restaurant/ bars, green / recreation space, and there is a good sized hockey arena on site as well; and a nice stadium can host lots of other events too - besides just CFL regular season - football - eg. the Vanier Cup and other football championship games; major soccer or perhaps rugby tournaments and matches; big name band concerts, conventions. Lots of uses for lots of different people and the project creates jobs - some temporary and some permanent.

But i guess there is no need for that kind of stuff or a major construction project and modern development in Atlantic Canada. And the CFL and its BOGoofs should continue to hide in their little shell and pinch their pennies.

And the federal govt never drops 100 million dollars or so on basically anything do they? - not interested in a major urban development or community infrastructure projects that could benefit many people and businesses and create jobs too? - nah, and provincial or municipal govts. should have no such interest either; yep - just NO money out there.
    The federal government is spending a lot on Syrians. The government spends money on what is politically acceptable and spending it on professional sports is a no-no. I don't like it but it is the way it is.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Yeah, if I was an owner this would be a pretty tough sell. The only apparent reward for my generosity would be substantially increased annual travel expenses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Yeah, if I was an owner this would be a pretty tough sell. The only apparent reward for my generosity would be substantially increased annual travel expenses.

umm, no, and see, that is the type of cheapskate & myopic thinking I'm talking about.

Try instead - the profile, prestige and exposure of the entire CFL goes up, wayyyyyyy up, in adding a 10th team to make it a coast to coast league with now 5 games a week and better competition, variety, more media interest and a more interesting play-offs. And with this increase in exposure, prestige and interest - ALL teams make more money, wayyyyy more money: better TV contract, more sponsors & advertising, more merchandise, etc. Could some bottom-line only thinkers get this?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    umm, no, and see, that is the type of cheapskate & myopic thinking I'm talking about.

Try instead - the profile, prestige and exposure of the entire CFL goes up, wayyyyyyy up, in adding a 10th team to make it a coast to coast league with now 5 games a week and better competition, variety, more media interest and a more interesting play-offs. And with this increase in exposure, prestige and interest - ALL teams make more money, wayyyyy more money: better TV contract, more sponsors & advertising, more merchandise, etc. Could some bottom-line only thinkers get this?
    I agree the league would benefit financially from a 10th team, in Halifax. What I don't agree with is the idea that a Halifax team could make enough money to justify a sizeable investment in a stadium. The market is too small, in terms of both population and corporate money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think a 10th team would be great, but until there is a 25K seat stadium and a person with a net worth north of $200 million willing to start a team, it's not going to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    10 teams with 6 making the playoffs would be ideal. I really don't want any undeserving 4, 5, or 6 win teams making the playoffs.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa is more than twice as big as Halifax, population-wise, so much more able to use the various parts of Lansdowne that aren't the stadium. Halifax already has a modern, downtown hockey arena so that's not a selling point for a development project.

I believe there is no chance even this govt would commit $100M to a football stadium project there without some sort of multi-sport games attached. And even if they did, a decent stadium would cost at least another $50M, money that would have to come from somewhere. I just don't see it happening although it's nice to dream of a team in Halifax.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Modern Arena ? The Metro Centre was built in 1978.