Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Yeah, if I was an owner this would be a pretty tough sell. The only apparent reward for my generosity would be substantially increased annual travel expenses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Yeah, if I was an owner this would be a pretty tough sell. The only apparent reward for my generosity would be substantially increased annual travel expenses.

umm, no, and see, that is the type of cheapskate & myopic thinking I'm talking about.

Try instead - the profile, prestige and exposure of the entire CFL goes up, wayyyyyyy up, in adding a 10th team to make it a coast to coast league with now 5 games a week and better competition, variety, more media interest and a more interesting play-offs. And with this increase in exposure, prestige and interest - ALL teams make more money, wayyyyy more money: better TV contract, more sponsors & advertising, more merchandise, etc. Could some bottom-line only thinkers get this?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sure; just like it's easy to be a cheap$kate and myopic and claim there is no money.
    Until someone steps forward to offer money, there is no money. I do not believe any level of govt is going to kick anything significant towards a facility that would bring in serious revenue 10 times a year. And I don't believe the private sector in that market sees any possibility of making it work financially. Maybe that's myopic; IMO it is realistic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    umm, no, and see, that is the type of cheapskate & myopic thinking I'm talking about.

Try instead - the profile, prestige and exposure of the entire CFL goes up, wayyyyyyy up, in adding a 10th team to make it a coast to coast league with now 5 games a week and better competition, variety, more media interest and a more interesting play-offs. And with this increase in exposure, prestige and interest - ALL teams make more money, wayyyyy more money: better TV contract, more sponsors & advertising, more merchandise, etc. Could some bottom-line only thinkers get this?
    I agree the league would benefit financially from a 10th team, in Halifax. What I don't agree with is the idea that a Halifax team could make enough money to justify a sizeable investment in a stadium. The market is too small, in terms of both population and corporate money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I think a 10th team would be great, but until there is a 25K seat stadium and a person with a net worth north of $200 million willing to start a team, it's not going to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    expand to a 10 team coast to coast league in Canada - with 5 games on TV per week instead of 4, and 2 seperate Conference play-off semis = no one play-off game win to get to the GC)
    So you'd want 8 out of 10 teams to make the playoffs?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    This would be one issue I would have if the CFL ever gets to 10 teams, I think it's best to stick with 6 teams making the playoffs, but conventional wisdom has taught me that the League would go with whatever makes them more money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post

Sure; you like it better when 2 teams in a league need to play only one play-off game to get to the league Championship ? - is what it is for a small league, but that's laughable in terms of competition and doesn\t exis in most other sports; the old days at least had East 2 game total point series to qualify for the GC. 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in both conference semis; 2 teams miss the play-offs; only 3 miss the play-offs now, so what's the big deal with the change?

Again - one more game a week in the sched. and on TV with 10 teams = BIG improvement for the league - always Thursday Night thru the year; always Friday Night (with some double headers) and a mix of some weekend games; and extra play-off game would be big too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Until someone steps forward to offer money, there is no money. I do not believe any level of govt is going to kick anything significant towards a facility that would bring in serious revenue 10 times a year. And I don't believe the private sector in that market sees any possibility of making it work financially. Maybe that's myopic; IMO it is realistic.

Not sure if you are that familiar with the new Lansdowne facility, but it hardly used only 10x a year - people in Ottawa visit there every day; besides CFL football, the Park has stores & shops, restaurant/ bars, green / recreation space, and there is a good sized hockey arena on site as well; and a nice stadium can host lots of other events too - besides just CFL regular season - football - eg. the Vanier Cup and other football championship games; major soccer or perhaps rugby tournaments and matches; big name band concerts, conventions. Lots of uses for lots of different people and the project creates jobs - some temporary and some permanent.

But i guess there is no need for that kind of stuff or a major construction project and modern development in Atlantic Canada. And the CFL and its BOGoofs should continue to hide in their little shell and pinch their pennies.

And the federal govt never drops 100 million dollars or so on basically anything do they? - not interested in a major urban development or community infrastructure projects that could benefit many people and businesses and create jobs too? - nah, and provincial or municipal govts. should have no such interest either; yep - just NO money out there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    10 teams with 6 making the playoffs would be ideal. I really don't want any undeserving 4, 5, or 6 win teams making the playoffs.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ottawa is more than twice as big as Halifax, population-wise, so much more able to use the various parts of Lansdowne that aren't the stadium. Halifax already has a modern, downtown hockey arena so that's not a selling point for a development project.

I believe there is no chance even this govt would commit $100M to a football stadium project there without some sort of multi-sport games attached. And even if they did, a decent stadium would cost at least another $50M, money that would have to come from somewhere. I just don't see it happening although it's nice to dream of a team in Halifax.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Modern Arena ? The Metro Centre was built in 1978.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure if you are that familiar with the new Lansdowne facility, but it hardly used only 10x a year - people in Ottawa visit there every day; besides CFL football, the Park has stores & shops, restaurant/ bars, green / recreation space, and there is a good sized hockey arena on site as well; and a nice stadium can host lots of other events too - besides just CFL regular season - football - eg. the Vanier Cup and other football championship games; major soccer or perhaps rugby tournaments and matches; big name band concerts, conventions. Lots of uses for lots of different people and the project creates jobs - some temporary and some permanent.

But i guess there is no need for that kind of stuff or a major construction project and modern development in Atlantic Canada. And the CFL and its BOGoofs should continue to hide in their little shell and pinch their pennies.

And the federal govt never drops 100 million dollars or so on basically anything do they? - not interested in a major urban development or community infrastructure projects that could benefit many people and businesses and create jobs too? - nah, and provincial or municipal govts. should have no such interest either; yep - just NO money out there.
    The federal government is spending a lot on Syrians. The government spends money on what is politically acceptable and spending it on professional sports is a no-no. I don't like it but it is the way it is.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Modern Arena ? The Metro Centre was built in 1978.
    OK, not so modern. But it's definitely not being replaced as part of a stadium/arena/entertainment project a la Lansdowne in the foreseeable future. It would be difficult to scrape up enough money in Halifax for a modern arena; two sports venues there (one to be used only sporadically) is a bridge way too far.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OK, not so modern. But it's definitely not being replaced as part of a stadium/arena/entertainment project a la Lansdowne in the foreseeable future. It would be difficult to scrape up enough money in Halifax for a modern arena; two sports venues there (one to be used only sporadically) is a bridge way too far.
    I didn't say an arena had to be part of the package in Halifax, and it would obviously add cost. The Civic Centre Arena at Lansdowne was in existence for years before they did the re-do of the park and they were able to save/maintain it - and it is still used for hockey, concerts and other gatherings and I noticed Ottawa football fans watching the GC on big screen there yesterday

For Halifax: A modernish 25K stadium, plus/ with some green space/park recreation area for all the public to use, maybe a movie theatre, a coffee shop, a couple of bar/restaurants, a couple of stores, maybe a small museum of some sort (Maratimes history & wildlife museum say) = a multi-use facility for all the citizens, plus a tourist attraction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    The federal government is spending a lot on Syrians. The government spends money on what is politically acceptable and spending it on professional sports is a no-no. I don't like it but it is the way it is.

Governments can be lobbied, persuaded, swayed. And influential people within a govt. can provide the impetus & buck$ for big projects they take a shine to.

IF a big-wig in the new Liberal Fed govt had a big interest in such a project, you rest assured they could make such a thing happen: they had over-whelming support in Atlantic Canada and pay-back for such support can take the form of $pending in that area; the project could be justified with reasons like job creation. it's good for business or tourism, the facility was needed in the area, etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I didn't say an arena had to be part of the package in Halifax, and it would obviously add cost. The Civic Centre Arena at Lansdowne was in existence for years before they did the re-do of the park and they were able to save/maintain it - and it is still used for hockey, concerts and other gatherings and I noticed Ottawa football fans watching the GC on big screen there yesterday

For Halifax: A modernish 25K stadium, plus/ with some green space/park recreation area for all the public to use, maybe a movie theatre, a coffee shop, a couple of bar/restaurants, a couple of stores, maybe a small museum of some sort (Maratimes history & wildlife museum say) = a multi-use facility for all the citizens, plus a tourist attraction.
    A new 15,000 seat arena has been talked about in Halifax and as I've mentioned before, there are "groups" (only one that I know of) looking at the Ottawa model and Darthmouth Crossing is where a stadium, arena, hotel and entertainment district would most likely go.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

At a cost of, what, $250 million? Nice dream tho.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    At a cost of, what, $250 million? Nice dream tho.
    I don't know - probably in that range I guess. Nice dream ? - sure you could look at it that way; or how bout - nice project that fits and benefits many people in Atlantic Canada. I guess Ottawa shoulda just let a prime piece of real estate and historic site just go to waste - tear down the stadium and turn the area into a parking lot? Stupid bunch of dreamers at work there in Ottawa, including the OSEG and the City of Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sure; you like it better when 2 teams in a league need to play only one play-off game to get to the league Championship ? - is what it is for a small league, but that's laughable in terms of competition and doesn\t exis in most other sports; the old days at least had East 2 game total point series to qualify for the GC. 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in both conference semis; 2 teams miss the play-offs; only 3 miss the play-offs now, so what's the big deal with the change?

Again - one more game a week in the sched. and on TV with 10 teams = BIG improvement for the league - always Thursday Night thru the year; always Friday Night (with some double headers) and a mix of some weekend games; and extra play-off game would be big too.
    The extra 1st vs 4th games are a recipe for mismatches at a time when you've got the most eyeballs watching the league, and would tax teams trying to sell two home playoff games in consecutive weeks. The OUA showed what a huge mistake it was to have 8 playoff teams in a 10/11 team league, and they sensibly cut back to 6. Eliminating only two teams from a ten team league is fine for a kids league, but it's embarrassing for a pro league to give out what essentially would be participation medals for having mediocre or even terrible seasons. The CFL already gets enough unwarranted criticism. No need to give people a valid excuse to attack the league.