Reply to Thread
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

2015 Combine news

The Edmonton regional combine is tomorrow, and Duane Forde has posted his preview of the top attendees.

Achievements:

Level
    Two DBs, an LB, and an OL have earned "promotions" to the main combine after their performances in Edmonton. That same article lists Forde's picks for the MontrĂ©al regional.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Two DBs, an LB, and an OL have earned "promotions" to the main combine after their performances in Edmonton. That same article lists Forde's picks for the MontrĂ©al regional.
    Going by past years. There will be (now with Ottawa back) 54 players drafted and then each team signs a couple of free agents. That gives us a total of 81 players needed to make up this number. 41 players were already invited to the main combine. 8 more have been invited from Edmonton and Montreal combines. Dwayne Forde has identified 14 more from those two combines as prospects. That gives us a total of 61 players. 7 NCAA players have passed up the main Toronto combine but will get drafted. That makes 68. Maybe another 10 identified from today's Toronto camp and that gets us close to the 81 figure that will be drafted or signed as free agents. There is always a few surprises where teams sign somebody off the charts so to speak. But the players invited to the Combine plus players identified by Dwayne Forde should give us the pool from which this years crop will be drafted and/or signed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    There is a big receiver that plays JR football in BC named Daniel English who is from the GTA competing in the Toronto Combine today....be interesting to see if he advances. Could be a nice find later in the draft for Barker.

Achievements:

Level
    Duane Forde really isn't putting as much effort into his prospect write-ups as he used to. FWIW, his preview of this weekend's main combine has been posted.

Achievements:

Level
    Lemar Durant is looking strong so far, recording 26 BP (top among receivers) and 36" vertical (ditto).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Knowing we need help on both lines, I hope we can nab this Lattanzio kid from Ottawa. At 260lbs, he maybe able to do some grunt work on the interior with his strength. I would also love to be able to obtain the likes of McEwen, Chunkg? & even Harty from a strong Dino program that churns out pros from year to year...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Knowing we need help on both lines, I hope we can nab this Lattanzio kid from Ottawa. At 260lbs, he maybe able to do some grunt work on the interior with his strength. I would also love to be able to obtain the likes of McEwen, Chunkg? & even Harty from a strong Dino program that churns out pros from year to year...
    Lattanzio looks pretty athletic but he measured 5'11 246 which might be a tad small to play the interior in the Pros. Maybe Rush End or Middle Line Backer.The only two guys with real DT size were Connop at 6'4 288 and Tennett at 6'2 305. Waud at 6'5 270 probably has the frame to add weight, but he might be better at DE with his quickness. Maxx Forde shunk from 6'5 275 down to his actual size of 6'3 262, not bad but maybe more of a DE as he has pretty good speed. The rest of the group look like their position could be RE or DE.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Lattanzio looks pretty athletic but he measured 5'11 246 which might be a tad small to play the interior in the Pros. Maybe Rush End or Middle Line Backer.The only two guys with real DT size were Connop at 6'4 288 and Tennett at 6'2 305. Waud at 6'5 270 probably has the frame to add weight, but he might be better at DE with his quickness. Maxx Forde shunk from 6'5 275 down to his actual size of 6'3 262, not bad but maybe more of a DE as he has pretty good speed. The rest of the group look like their position could be RE or DE.
    You are correct...I initially had Lantanzio at 260, but he is listed at 246. Forde did not show well in the BP test with only 15 reps, which could hurt him, but ran a good 40 (how important that is for a DL, I am not sure). Tennant maybe the best inside man of the bunch. Could he be available with our 2nd round pick?

Also, I notice that after being on the list of Combine Players as a DB (yet not assigned a #), Mac LB Nick Shorthill's name has disappeared...
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 03-29-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    You are correct...I initially had Lantanzio at 260, but he is listed at 246. Forde did not show well in the BP test with only 15 reps, which could hurt him, but ran a good 40 (how important that is for a DL, I am not sure). Tennant maybe the best inside man of the bunch. Could he be available with our 2nd round pick?

Also, I notice that after being on the list of Combine Players as a DB (yet not assigned a #), Mac LB Nick Shorthill's name has disappeared...
    I thought I saw something a while ago about Shorthill not wanting to play pro football. Too bad if true as he is a good prospect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I thought I saw something a while ago about Shorthill not wanting to play pro football. Too bad if true as he is a good prospect.
    Drew Edwards reports that Shortill did the bench press, but withdrew from all other testing due to a hamstring injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level

I wouldn't take the Combine player height and weight listings on the CFL site as factual; as i've pointed out before - Combines take careful measurements of players and the CFL used to publish a spread sheet type list with all measurements and test results, but they don't seem to anymore, and those player listings may have been just taken off a roster somewhere.

The CIS East-West Bowl did publish a spread sheet with all that info for their event last spring: and Waud measured 6-5, 292 so i doubt he last 20+ pounds for a pro try-out, but maybe; also Tennant weighed in at 310. I doubt Lattanzio (not at the East-West game - i assume injured?) weighs just 246, and even if he did he could bulk up some to play at the pro level - there are plenty of lighter weight DTs who play - now and in the past - in the CFL. CIS all-star DT Jacob Leblanc weighed over 300 at the East West; Donnovan Dale has been listed at 290 with UBC but now is all of a sudden 270 at the CFL Combine? Who really knows for sure, but the CFL could have set the record straight by publishing their actual Combine measurements.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I wouldn't take the Combine player height and weight listings on the CFL site as factual; as i've pointed out before - Combines take careful measurements of players and the CFL used to publish a spread sheet type list with all measurements and test results, but they don't seem to anymore, and those player listings may have been just taken off a roster somewhere.

The CIS East-West Bowl did publish a spread sheet with all that info for their event last spring: and Waud measured 6-5, 292 so i doubt he last 20+ pounds for a pro try-out, but maybe; also Tennant weighed in at 310. I doubt Lattanzio (not at the East-West game - i assume injured?) weighs just 246, and even if he did he could bulk up some to play at the pro level - there are plenty of lighter weight DTs who play - now and in the past - in the CFL. CIS all-star DT Jacob Leblanc weighed over 300 at the East West; Donnovan Dale has been listed at 290 with UBC but now is all of a sudden 270 at the CFL Combine? Who really knows for sure, but the CFL could have set the record straight by publishing their actual Combine measurements.
    The players are measured for height, arm length and weight the first day of the Combine. When they were on the line to run the forty their measured height and weight was put on the screen beside their name. Some guys have trouble keeping their weight up and some have trouble keeping it down. 20 lbs doesn't mean much when you're up around 300, they lose that much on game day alone from sweat. Most of the listed weights look about right to me. Waud looked quite stream lined at 6'5 270. A guy like Allison Campbell checked in at 6'5 340 and he looked all of that.
    I don't where Lattanzio is going to fit in the CFL. Maybe a Rush End, he is a tough little guy about the same size as Archambault who is a MLB. He is almost what they call a tweener, too small for DT and too big and slow to pass cover (4.87) at MLB. If this was the 1960's he would be an all star at 5'11 246. But we are in a different era. Size matters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The players are measured for height, arm length and weight the first day of the Combine. When they were on the line to run the forty their measured height and weight was put on the screen beside their name. Some guys have trouble keeping their weight up and some have trouble keeping it down. 20 lbs doesn't mean much when you're up around 300, they lose that much on game day alone from sweat. Most of the listed weights look about right to me. Waud looked quite stream lined at 6'5 270. A guy like Allison Campbell checked in at 6'5 340 and he looked all of that.
    I don't where Lattanzio is going to fit in the CFL. Maybe a Rush End, he is a tough little guy about the same size as Archambault who is a MLB. He is almost what they call a tweener, too small for DT and too big and slow to pass cover (4.87) at MLB. If this was the 1960's he would be an all star at 5'11 246. But we are in a different era. Size matters.
    OK - so show me the CFL Combine's list of actual measurements - heights, weights, arm length, hand size ? They used to, up to a few years ago, publish all those measurements; the CIS East-West Bowl does publish those actual measurements. Show me the actual CFL Combine data and i'll believe that Waud is now 270 when he was actually at 290+ last spring at the East West game.

And do you actually, seriously believe a player of the skill-set & calibre of Wayne Harris at around 200 pounds then, could not play MLB in the CFL now ??? - the Esks won a GC a few years back with a mediocre AJ Gass playing MLB for them at around 210 - Gass couldn't hold Harris' jock strap on the football field in any way shape or form. Football players are generally bigger now - and particularly on the lines - 300 + O-linemen are commonplace now when they were rare in the NFL even a few decades ago; but the CFL now deploys all sorts of 190 pound range OLB (converted safeties) when decades ago most CFL OLBs were 210+ at least. Times change in sports and football and size matters sometimes; what is wayyyyyyyy more important however, IMO, is football skills and finesse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    OK - so show me the CFL Combine's list of actual measurements - heights, weights, arm length, hand size ? They used to, up to a few years ago, publish all those measurements; the CIS East-West Bowl does publish those actual measurements. Show me the actual CFL Combine data and i'll believe that Waud is now 270 when he was actually at 290+ last spring at the East West game.

And do you actually, seriously believe a player of the skill-set & calibre of Wayne Harris at around 200 pounds then, could not play MLB in the CFL now ??? - the Esks won a GC a few years back with a mediocre AJ Gass playing MLB for them at around 210 - Gass couldn't hold Harris' jock strap on the football field in any way shape or form. Football players are generally bigger now - and particularly on the lines - 300 + O-linemen are commonplace now when they were rare in the NFL even a few decades ago; but the CFL now deploys all sorts of 190 pound range OLB (converted safeties) when decades ago most CFL OLBs were 210+ at least. Times change in sports and football and size matters sometimes; what is wayyyyyyyy more important however, IMO, is football skills and finesse.
    I guess you will have to believe the East/West weigh scales over the CFL combine scales and maybe they were both right. Maybe Waud used an old trick and had lead inside his jock strap. lol. But my eyes tell me he was not 290 at the combine, maybe down in the 260's if the truth were know. Doesn't matter, he is still a heck of a ball player who will go in the first round. Because of his long arms (he was measured for that) some GM's and Coaches think his best position eventually would be on the offensive line. (Bulked up to 290-300 of course).
    Thumper Harris was a great MLB at 5'11 200 even though it was a different era with much smaller OLineman than now, blocking him. He was an exceptional talent and could hit like a 240 pounder. Those guys are rare, and I'm sure if the CFL good ole boys could find another Wayne Harris he would be playing. The MLB kid out in Edmonton Sherritt, is listed at 5'9 210 and he is pretty good, but not a HOFer like Harris IMO. So a Good little man can still play, and I empasize the Good, but most can't take a lickin and keep tickin over an extended season.
    I think you must know why the CFL Coaches went to the smaller OLB guys. It was because the bigger slower guys couldn't cover all the new style receivers Hughie Campbell started. He replaced Full Backs and Tight Ends with smaller faster players and then the defenses had to follow suit. I think that is one thing we agree on, is a return to the TE and FB era. We are starting to see some of that in the last few years in a way. But a back up Olineman as a TE and a back up TE type as a FB just doesn't cut it IMO. I would like to see some real talent at those positions.
    Over to you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess you will have to believe the East/West weigh scales over the CFL combine scales and maybe they were both right. Maybe Waud used an old trick and had lead inside his jock strap. lol. But my eyes tell me he was not 290 at the combine, maybe down in the 260's if the truth were know. Doesn't matter, he is still a heck of a ball player who will go in the first round. Because of his long arms (he was measured for that) some GM's and Coaches think his best position eventually would be on the offensive line. (Bulked up to 290-300 of course).
    Thumper Harris was a great MLB at 5'11 200 even though it was a different era with much smaller OLineman than now, blocking him. He was an exceptional talent and could hit like a 240 pounder. Those guys are rare, and I'm sure if the CFL good ole boys could find another Wayne Harris he would be playing. The MLB kid out in Edmonton Sherritt, is listed at 5'9 210 and he is pretty good, but not a HOFer like Harris IMO. So a Good little man can still play, and I empasize the Good, but most can't take a lickin and keep tickin over an extended season.
    I think you must know why the CFL Coaches went to the smaller OLB guys. It was because the bigger slower guys couldn't cover all the new style receivers Hughie Campbell started. He replaced Full Backs and Tight Ends with smaller faster players and then the defenses had to follow suit. I think that is one thing we agree on, is a return to the TE and FB era. We are starting to see some of that in the last few years in a way. But a back up Olineman as a TE and a back up TE type as a FB just doesn't cut it IMO. I would like to see some real talent at those positions.
    Over to you.
    I would believe the scales from both the East-West game and those from the CFL Combine; I just haven`t seen the info from the CFL event, so until I do, I just have detailed info on some of these players from the event last spring to go by. Waud is gunning for an NFL look at DT so he`s lost weight to be in the 260 something range and be considered way under-sized there? - could be i guess.

Agree on the fullback & tight-end evolution to obscurity in the CFL thing. Too bad IMO - I like diversity in football, and not same old thinking and standard party line look; and agree too it would be nice to see some real talent deployed at those positions again, even from just one team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Saw a report in Ham Spec the other day suggesting some NFL teams are considering converting Waud to o-line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's an analysis of Sunday's combine competition.

http://cfl.ca/article/combine-sunday...two-of-testing