Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Jim Barker speaks out about Canadian QBs and the next generation of football ops

Two excellent articles, featuring Jim Barker, have surfaced in the last day or so that will be of great interest to everyone:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/18...l-rules-change

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...xecutives.html

I know that some will be upset about some of what Barker has to say about Canadian QBs (especially about Yantz, while being good, not being as good as the current crop of Argo backups) but what he says seems to make much sense. Barker is promoting Canadian football in other ways by encouraging young Canadians to get involved in the management ranks which is the subject of the second article.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Star does not cover the Argos near enough, but when they do they come up with real gem of articles...great reading about that kid, but I don't think he is even listed on the team website as office staff. Good luck to Yantz...would love to see him get a chance to battle Logan Kilgore as #4 qb this TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The Star does not cover the Argos near enough, but when they do they come up with real gem of articles...great reading about that kid, but I don't think he is even listed on the team website as office staff. Good luck to Yantz...would love to see him get a chance to battle Logan Kilgore as #4 qb this TC.
    The Star has actually stepped up their coverage this off-season. In fact, they have had far more than the Sun this off-season. As for Yantz, Barker could bring him in as fifth QB but he would probably be better off going somewhere like Hamilton where there is an open competition behind Collaros.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Star has actually stepped up their coverage this off-season. In fact, they have had far more than the Sun this off-season. As for Yantz, Barker could bring him in as fifth QB but he would probably be better off going somewhere like Hamilton where there is an open competition behind Collaros.

The Ticats have, behind Collaros - the 5 foot ten inch Masoli who threw 47 % completion in his bit of CFL playing time; then former Esk and former Miami Hurricane Jacory Harris; plus they signed Kenty's former college QB at Cornell - Jeff Matthews = I doubt Yantz is going to get any kind of consideration there, but you never know i guess ?

There's a bunch of CFL teams that have little to nothing proven at QB depth now - the Esks have 2 guys with experience, and then 2 rookie types with little to no pro experience and zero playing time in Canadian football; the Bombers have behind Willy - ex NFLer Brian Brohm, then Robert Marve (who played a little last year and looked decent at times IMO) and then just Argo cast-off Portis; the RedBlacks have over-the-hill Blank Burris at QB then a whole lot of question marks / very limited experience, but they have signed a couple of young NCAA guys with pretty decent resumes this off-season = they already have 5 QBs for TC (plus they could easily give Sinopoli a real shot there - he could/should probably shoot to #2 on their depth chart right away IMO, IF the coaches there had any respect for him or Canadian QBs.

Most CFL teams already have their 4 or 5 QBs signed for TC (though you could/should easily have 5 or 6 or more for TC IF you had big need there and wanted lots of real competition) = I doubt Yantz gets any real CFL shot at a serious try-out at QB - just the way it works in the CFL now = Canadian QBs pre-judged not good enough; one of the good ole boys might think of him as a fine "athlete" though and try him out at receiver or safety or fullback ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    But the Sun did report that Colton Orr was called up by the Leafs for the final game of the season....that was earth shattering news....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    But the Sun did report that Colton Orr was called up by the Leafs for the final game of the season....that was earth shattering news....
    If you listen to Don Cherry, you would think that Colton Orr is as valuable as Bobby Orr. Anyway, Curtis Rush, I think, has done a good job covering the Argos/CFL this off-season and I look forward to more of his work during the coming season. Interestingly enough, Rush is a former draft pick of the Edmonton Eskimos back in the mid 1970s.

New Fan
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes I have been fairly impressed with the Sun's coverage of all the mini camps and thought the Star article today was excellent. Considering time of year and everything else happening not too bad at all. Posted the same thoughts on the general CFL board as well to keep the out of towners up to date that there is actually press in the market not always the doom and gloom type.
    Because Inside We All Bleed Red

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If you listen to Don Cherry, you would think that Colton Orr is as valuable as Bobby Orr. Anyway, Curtis Rush, I think, has done a good job covering the Argos/CFL this off-season and I look forward to more of his work during the coming season. Interestingly enough, Rush is a former draft pick of the Edmonton Eskimos back in the mid 1970s.
    Rush has been a real find....former Vanier Cup winner in the 70,s with UofT I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Head View Post
    Yes I have been fairly impressed with the Sun's coverage of all the mini camps and thought the Star article today was excellent. Considering time of year and everything else happening not too bad at all. Posted the same thoughts on the general CFL board as well to keep the out of towners up to date that there is actually press in the market not always the doom and gloom type.
    However I would like the Toronto papers to post articles about the Argos when they sign players. The only way fans read about these transactions is on the Argo website for the most part.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Why *don't* Canadian QBs count as nationals for ratio purposes? I have never seen an explanation and I don't understand why either owners or the union benefit from the exemption.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Why *don't* Canadian QBs count as nationals for ratio purposes? I have never seen an explanation and I don't understand why either owners or the union benefit from the exemption.
    Certainly would be pretty easy to approve the rule change there; but it hasn't been and nobody in the league wants change there, and it's just another convenient CFL good ole boy excuse to ignore Canadian QBs who they don't fell are fit to play the position in their "radical" league. And anyways - if CFL "scouts" actually looked at (i.e. seriously scouted them) and considered Canadian QB talent for real try-outs in TC when their team had need there - it shouldn't matter anyways, they could be brought in to compete and maybe do well and make a roster, and it wouldn't affect their ratio they way it stands. The roster rules now are easy excuses that work both ways: 1 -"well, if only they counted in the ratio we would maybe have some make rosters " (yeah, sure), and 2 - "they really aren't good enough to compete against any and all American QBs we can sign because they don't have the benefit of the ratio to help them" (yeah, OK, whatever - not even need for a try-out) = total laughable bull$hite, and it isn't going to change anytime soon IMO. Hard to make a football team when you aren't drafted or signed and given a real chance to try-out and compete in a TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Why not at the very least guarantee a practice roster spot for a National QB? That way teams aren't forced to dress an "under qualified" Canadian QB, but you at the very least give a Canadian some pro experience and therefore an outside chance of being called up for game day. It may not be what we all want but it's a baby step in the right direction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Why not at the very least guarantee a practice roster spot for a National QB? That way teams aren't forced to dress an "under qualified" Canadian QB, but you at the very least give a Canadian some pro experience and therefore an outside chance of being called up for game day. It may not be what we all want but it's a baby step in the right direction.
    Makes too much sense, give something back to our own College football system, quite frankly some of the CIS QB's I have seen at the very least compare favourably with many of the backup and practice roster QB's currently employed, the only thing holding them back is their Canadian passports, remember what the C in CFL stands for.

Achievements:

Level
    Rather than adding a new rule I'd prefer to see the existing rule simplified.

Instead of "Each team may have a maximum of 44 players, including 3 players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 41 other players, of whom not more than 20 may be international players."

Let's have: "Each team may have a maximum of 44 players, of whom not more than 23 may be international."

(I realize that there is more to the roster rules than this; I'm quoting the relevant bit)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Some teams would dress a crappy cdn 3rd-string QB with no intention of playing him, just to get an extra import DB who could play nickel back and cover on special teams. That's why, IMO.

Plus there is the politics of admitting that a majority of players -- 23 of 44 -- are non-Cdns. The current rules make it appear that the balance is slightly in favour of nationals.

Achievements:

Level
    I agree that some teams would dress a Nat QB for that purpose, Paul, but it would still represent an improvement over the status quo. There would certainly be an incentive to find the least crappy guy available and give him some coaching, since there's a decent chance he'd be needed as the short-yardage QB and/or holder if the starter went down.

As for the tacit acknowledgment that most CFL players are American, well... the current fig leaf isn't really fooling anyone, is it?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Some teams would dress a crappy cdn 3rd-string QB with no intention of playing him, just to get an extra import DB who could play nickel back and cover on special teams. That's why, IMO.

Plus there is the politics of admitting that a majority of players -- 23 of 44 -- are non-Cdns. The current rules make it appear that the balance is slightly in favour of nationals.
    Lots of CFL teams now dress crappy American QBs as 3rd or even 2nd stringers - probably with no intention of playing them; and I've seen plenty of evidence from the CFL field that they are crappy, because invariably, due to injuries or poor play by some suspect starters, they do get to play in the CFL. ZERO Canadian QBs have got such CFL opportunity in close to 20 years; so - Please name all the crappy Canadian QBs you know that are out there, and who would be worse if they got a CFL shot - got any actual football field evidence to go by there? - you watch lots of CIS ball?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's not about my opinion of Cdn QBs, OV. (And for the record I was thrilled that Brannagan got to spend a year with the Argos.) my response was my opinion as to why we would be better off without changing the rule as suggested. It would result in waaaayyy less aggregate playing time for Canadians because a roster spot that is now held by a NAT who at least sees regular action on specials would be handed to an INT in many cases, while a third-string QB barely plays. I agree there are lots of crappy INT 3rd-string QBs. But the fact is they don't get much playing time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=paulwoods13;59467]It's not about my opinion of Cdn QBs, OV. (And for the record I was thrilled that Brannagan got to spend a year with the Argos.) my response was my opinion as to why we would be better off without changing the rule as suggested. It would result in waaaayyy less aggregate playing time for Canadians because a roster spot that is now held by a NAT who at least sees regular action on specials would be handed to an INT in many cases, while a third-string QB barely plays. I agree there are lots of crappy INT 3rd-string QBs. But the fact is they don't get much playing tim/QUOTE]

SO - if the rules changed there; and some team carried a NI QB, then that would mean they get to play another superstar import who is not as good as the 20th import on their roster already ? Boy, the Argos would have had such an advantage doing so last year by being able to play another crappy import DB sometimes who was even crappier than some of the crappy import DBs they did play ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Some of us have been saying for a long time, at least I have how there should be a fourth QB on the roster a developmental position for a Canadian QB only.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    SO - if the rules changed there; and some team carried a NI QB, then that would mean they get to play another superstar import who is not as good as the 20th import on their roster already ?
    Obviously the 20th INT is not gonna be a superstar, and you know it. But IMO some (maybe many) teams would rather dress an extra INT DB or LB who can run downfield and make plays on punts and kickoffs than a third-string INT QB who holds a clipboard, if given the choice.