Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm not overly concerned. The Bombers and Ti-Cats that Creehan coached on were very bad teams. If you don't feel you have the personnel to play man coverage, you can't. Time will tell, but I'm not going to complain about him without seeing what happens.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On TV, I found Burke's body language was self- and team-defeating in communicating to the players in Winnipeg that they were on the road to defeat again and never saw a sense of confidence relayed to the Argo players under his charge. Given that Creehan's Hamilton defence concerns me even more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hopefully Creehan has learned from past experiences, remember Cortez constantly ripping into Creehan on the sidelines in 2012 while with the Ticats, although much of that could be the fact that Cortez looks like a miserable asshole at the best of times.
    Hopefully this all works out but my gut tells me this could be another frustrating season in Argoland.
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-16-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm not overly concerned. The Bombers and Ti-Cats that Creehan coached on were very bad teams. If you don't feel you have the personnel to play man coverage, you can't. Time will tell, but I'm not going to complain about him without seeing what happens.
    I might not be that concerned IF Creehan had tons of vet, proven talent to work with on D - but - outside of Foley & Okpo at DE, maybe Gabriel at S = lots of question marks ... to be molded by a guy who seems like an @$$-hat and who has little to no proven D coaching ability.

Too late to start over and hire a good DC i guess (not really IMO - but that's debatable) = we shall see allright AV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    This does not bode well for the season.
    Usually when something like this happens so close to training camp or the beginning of the season it is either argument with other staff or HC or the usual philosophical differences.
    Like others have mentioned Creehan is not well regarded as a DC and has had a number of failures in similar posts.
    Or the coordinator wants out for personal reasons and the team survives just fine. See 1983 Toronto Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    On TV, I found Burke's body language was self- and team-defeating in communicating to the players in Winnipeg that they were on the road to defeat again and never saw a sense of confidence relayed to the Argo players under his charge. Given that Creehan's Hamilton defence concerns me even more.
    Yeah you just got the sense that the team never bought in to what he was trying to do in Winnipeg. Publicly berating his players didn't help either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    There was an article where Milanovich said Burkes resignation was a possible scenario, so they have had a succession plan in place for awhile. In fact Creehan went to some set of meetings instead of Burke during the off season ..... In case.
    Creehan has had a year or two under Burke so probably has learned some.
    This may be a better scenario than hiring a new DC altogether. At least the systems will be the same if not similar, and the players have had a year under their belt already. It won't be as disjointed as the move from
    Jones to Burke .... And hopefully will be an improvement for the team, the fans and for
    Creehan ... who could use a plus year for his resume. The Defense will just have to work hard!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    There was an article where Milanovich said Burkes resignation was a possible scenario, so they have had a succession plan in place for awhile. In fact Creehan went to some set of meetings instead of Burke during the off season ..... In case.
    Creehan has had a year or two under Burke so probably has learned some.
    This may be a better scenario than hiring a new DC altogether. At least the systems will be the same if not similar, and the players have had a year under their belt already. It won't be as disjointed as the move from
    Jones to Burke .... And hopefully will be an improvement for the team, the fans and for
    Creehan ... who could use a plus year for his resume. The Defense will just have to work hard!
    It is too late to hire a new defensive coordinator and try to install a new system. The advantage with Creehan is that he knows Burke's system and presumably believes in it so it won't be much of an adjustment for any defensive players who remain from last year.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It is too late to hire a new defensive coordinator and try to install a new system. The advantage with Creehan is that he knows Burke's system and presumably believes in it so it won't be much of an adjustment for any defensive players who remain from last year.
    Probably half of this defence will be new (thus learning a new system anyway), just can't get the 2012 Hamilton D fiasco (led by Creehan) out of my head and as OV correctly mentioned much of our D personnel will once again be new.
    BTW not buying into the notion that it is too late to hire a new DC but the Argos seem to pay their assistants SFA so the cheap and easy fix is to "promote" Creehan.
    My 11 year old son who love his Ticats just about split a gut laughing when he heard Creehan would be running our D as he remembers his frustration watching his teams pitiful D in 2012.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Frank Z mentioned in his article today that the Argos are in need of a DB coach and that Jordan Younger, who I think is a AC at U of T would be a great hire. I agree. However, why is the team in need of a DB coach this late in the offseason??????

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Probably half of this defence will be new (thus learning a new system anyway), just can't get the 2012 Hamilton D fiasco (led by Creehan) out of my head and as OV correctly mentioned much of our D personnel will once again be new.
    BTW not buying into the notion that it is too late to hire a new DC but the Argos seem to pay their assistants SFA so the cheap and easy fix is to "promote" Creehan.
    My 11 year old son who love his Ticats just about split a gut laughing when he heard Creehan would be running our D as he remembers his frustration watching his teams pitiful D in 2012.
    Wow, that's some fan. Most 8 year olds would struggle to name a single player, nevermind defensive coaches.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Wow, that's some fan. Most 8 year olds would struggle to name a single player, nevermind defensive coaches.
    I remember going to the Ex with my dad at that age not having a clue what was going on, I'm proud to pass my love of our game on to my son who cant get enough of the CFL and his Ticats.
    On a side note the 2012 season actually ended on a high note for him as he was chosen to accompany Grover Covington onto the field when he was named to the All-Time Hamilton Tiger Cats team before the last game at Ivor Wynne.
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-16-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Or the coordinator wants out for personal reasons and the team survives just fine. See 1983 Toronto Argonauts.
    Anything is possible Paul, except that when Darrel Davis left after 1982 most (if not all) of the players that executed his "Run and Shoot" offence returned in 1983, same can't be said regarding our defence.
    Who knows how Creehan can and will be able to mold this D together with a substantial number of new players.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Frank Z mentioned in his article today that the Argos are in need of a DB coach and that Jordan Younger, who I think is a AC at U of T would be a great hire. I agree. However, why is the team in need of a DB coach this late in the offseason??????
    In the article, Zicarelli claims that Younger "is the kind of individual the Argos require" and that "a guy of his magnitude should be pursued". It's all pretty vague and unconvincing. We haven't had a DB coach since Eddie Brown left in 2013.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    If you read the article, Zicarelli claims that Younger "is the kind of individual the Argos require" and that "a guy of his magnitude should be pursued". It's all pretty vague and unconvincing. We haven't had a DB coach since Eddie Brown left in 2013.
    It also touched on the fact the organization may be harbouring some resentment regarding the timing of Youngers retirement which may be closer to the truth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Anything is possible Paul, except that when Darrel Davis left after 1982 most (if not all) of the players that executed his "Run and Shoot" offence returned in 1983, same can't be said regarding our defence.
    Who knows how Creehan can and will be able to mold this D together with a substantial number of new players.
    Yes. But Mouse ran an effective offence in 1982. With all the crying about Creehan, you'd think the 2014 Argo defence was lights out. Guess what -- it wasn't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's true Paul (and my point as well) the Argonaut D has been sub-par since the 2012 World Championship revolving door with both players and coaches, although I loved the Foley trade and look forward to seeing Greenwood, our secondary in particular should be of great concern.
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-17-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's true Paul (and my point as well) the Argonaut D has been sub-par since the 2012 World Championship revolving door with both players and coaches, although I loved the Foley trade and look forward to seeing Greenwood, our secondary in particular should be of great concern.
    Secondary is definitely a concern, but if the new rules are implemented as the league says they will, I think every secondary in the league may have big concerns.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Secondary is definitely a concern, but if the new rules are implemented as the league says they will, I think every secondary in the league may have big concerns.
    The new rules that don't allow contact after 5 yards might have something to do with nine of the twelve listed DB's being 5'11 and under. Smaller quicker guys who can cover better. The problem is there quite a few tall receivers in the League now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Lots of factors that will determine how the Argos do. Adjustment to new rules, Creehan with a whole new secondary, the health of Ray (#1 thing that determine's this season's success), Durie's health, emergence of new reliable receivers, Oline and LT help...never mind the ownership distractions.