Thread: Fan Day 2015

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Curtis Rush's fan day report is already online. It's quite nice.
    Good report by Curtis. I would add a couple of little notes. A bought a hamburger at the Hawkeye`s booth for $4.50, maybe they charged Toronto Star Reporters more (I would) lol.
    Also he didn`t mention that Matt Black played for the Hawkeyes as well. I thought Matt had an outstanding scrimmage playing a lot as a Will LB in place of Matt Ware who was held out of practice today. His brother Eric made a nice pass knock down in tight coverage while playing the corner. I think the Argos could go with a Canadian corner if necessary (this one`s for OV). With Matt Black starting, backed up by his brother Eric and Shane Herbert. Thomas Miles could probably do alright at MLB as he looked right at home when he was in there. IMO the Argos have good Canadian depth on defense with Foley, Waud, Laing, Greenwood, Miles, Gabriel and Matt Black all capable of starting. While on offense after you get by Van Zeyl, Keeping, Holmes, Durie and Coombs, the rest aren`t ready for prime time IMO. Well maybe I should add FB`s Robinson or Dupuis will play on running downs. Dupuis looks like he could bulk up a bit and be a Lineman.
    Swayze Waters looked to be in mid season form, booming 60 yard punts. Great leg for a guy not all that big.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As a former Hawkeye, it was nice to see the turnout and Hawkeye presence in the stadium. I havent' been to the civic fields in about 20-25 years, and I was thoroughly impressed with the changes to the grounds. They really are big into sports at the grass roots level in Oshawa. I remember thinking that back when I played out there. I wish Toronto was more like that.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It looks like a good turn out (similar to York last year) it was just to far away for us to attend this year.

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    My only complaint of the day was the timing allowed for the "autograph session" -- especially after travelling from Mississauga for it. The audience was told that the players would leave the field, drop off their gear and then there would be opportunity for the fans to meet the players and get autographs. Well that did happen but it was an extremely short window for the autographs. Next thing you know, they are announcing that the buses are leaving and players need to get on them! The autograph session was maybe 20-30 minutes (though it seemed shorter). I was not the only fan that left disappointed that they were not able to obtain all the autographs that they hoped for. This is the one opportunity for fans to get autographs (since they have eliminated autograph sessions after the games, etc.) so I would have liked to see longer availability. I have attended fan day for as long as I can remember, and this was by far the most disappointing one in terms of the autograph session.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan81 View Post
    My only complaint of the day was the timing allowed for the "autograph session" -- especially after travelling from Mississauga for it. The audience was told that the players would leave the field, drop off their gear and then there would be opportunity for the fans to meet the players and get autographs. Well that did happen but it was an extremely short window for the autographs. Next thing you know, they are announcing that the buses are leaving and players need to get on them! The autograph session was maybe 20-30 minutes (though it seemed shorter). I was not the only fan that left disappointed that they were not able to obtain all the autographs that they hoped for. This is the one opportunity for fans to get autographs (since they have eliminated autograph sessions after the games, etc.) so I would have liked to see longer availability. I have attended fan day for as long as I can remember, and this was by far the most disappointing one in terms of the autograph session.
    I left right after the game. I did notice a few players being stopped for pictures and autographs on their way back from the buses. I think the session wasn't organized properly, considering the whole day was from 11am to 4pm. If you really want autographs, there's nothing like just a regular practice. You'll have the whole team to yourself before and especially after.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good report by Curtis. I would add a couple of little notes. A bought a hamburger at the Hawkeye`s booth for $4.50, .........
    I think the Hawkeye burger ...... Hamburger with peamale bacon on top was the $7 .......

It was super weather, great time had by all I would think.
    Good to see the kids of all ages attending, ( and that includes me at all ages) and good to have some fundraising for the
    Hawkeye football group at the same time. Very important community relationship building done this fan day. The players had a fun time with the small kids with autographs and pictures.
    I too enjoyed Barkers commentary, and seeing the rookies play. Thank you for the roster sheet ..... Last scrimmage game I guess I arrived too late as I didn't have one .
    I won the football ...... so found my sharpy in the truck and got some signatures before the buses were to leave. Great day!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Both the Star and sun, reported hundreds of fans, but those stands seat 2,500 and they were full. That photo alone shows more then a few hundred

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I wouldn't say they were full. I think that photo is a little deceiving. I got there just after 2pm, sat high just to the left of the booth. There was plenty of space to sit more people. I would estimate about 1,500.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I wouldn't say they were full. I think that photo is a little deceiving. I got there just after 2pm, sat high just to the left of the booth. There was plenty of space to sit more people. I would estimate about 1,500.
    Still a great turnout compared to years past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Still a great turnout compared to years past.
    Absolutely. Didn't realize it until a couple of autograph seekers came by, but Bob O'Bilovich was sitting about 10 feet to my right. As always, he still looks as though he takes great care of himself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Great to see such a great turnout after a solid year of negativity in the media. Also good to see the Toronto Star give the Argos some positive press.

The city of Oshawa fell back in love with the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday.

Hundreds turned out for Fan Day, eating $7 Hawkeye burgers, posing with the cheerleaders and watching the team scrimmage.

The Double Blue hadn’t been here since 1991, when John Candy and Rocket Ismail electrified these grounds at the Oshawa Civic Fields.

The stands brimmed with youngsters from the Oshawa Hawkeyes football program, who might one day follow in the footsteps of Jason Pottinger, the recently retired CFL star who was introduced to loud applause, or Argo defensive lineman Ricky Foley. ...
    Lori Bursey, president of the Argonauts fan club, reported that interest in new memberships was high at her booth.

Meanwhile, the scrimmage provided the coaching staff with an important evaluation tool heading into Tuesday’s pre-season game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Varsity Stadium (7:30 p.m.).

One thing’s clear: Trevor Harris is sitting head-and-shoulders above the other quarterbacks.

“We’re really trying to push him to be great, not settling for pretty good,” head coach Scott Milanovich said post-scrimmage.

The backup role seems to be a neck-and-neck battle between Mitchell Gale and Logan Kilgore, while Blake Sims didn’t help his cause by throwing an interception. One of the stars of the day was newly signed wide receiver Tori Gurley, who looks like a sure-fire deep threat.

Ricky Ray didn’t play, and that’s no surprise as he recovers from off-season shoulder surgery.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/2015/06/06/oshawa-falls-back-in-love-with-argonauts.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Absolutely. Didn't realize it until a couple of autograph seekers came by, but Bob O'Bilovich was sitting about 10 feet to my right. As always, he still looks as though he takes great care of himself.
    Really nice down to earth guy as well, nice to see him back attending Argos functions, never seemed right seeing him as a Ticat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Really nice down to earth guy as well, nice to see him back attending Argos functions, never seemed right seeing him as a Ticat.
    That is for sure.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Argo Day was a winner

as a native of Oshawa, it was great to be back in the old home town and the weather was cool but clear. Great job by all the Argos. Cheerleaders we love you. Booth for the Oshawa Generals, with the Memorial Cup on the table for picture-taking, a nice touch. I know it's hockey, a distant second to football as the best sport around, but still GO GENS GO! Also a nice Player Poster of the Gens gathered around the Cup at centre ice, great souvenir for a free fan take-away.

good to see also the Friends of the Argonauts there, and congrats to them on their 25th year. Whoa. Awesome. Lori you are the best.
    Fun to see you there too ArgoDave, nice chatting with you.

as for autograph time, it was adequate IMO, I personally got to talk with R. Ray, J. Keeping, T. Holmes, T. Harris, A. Durie, J. King and C. Steele.
    Best of all was a lovely, lengthy chat with Obie (he's living in Oakville now) what a class guy, thanks Obie for showing up, we will never forget you.

Saw some of the "new guys" that nobody knows, just trying to make the team, sitting in the front row of the bleachers during the on-field autograph session, and I heard them say to each other as they were left alone by the fans walking past, "nobody knows who we are". Well guys take the damn bull-by-the horns and MAKE US know who you are by your performance, bowl-over the coaches, make the club and HELP US WIN. Then we will love you! YOU CAN DO IT. Best wishes Toronto Argos for 2015, thanks for Fan Day, loved it!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great thread guys. Being stuck in red deer alberta I am left to following my argos online and on tsn... finally they come to my home town and I am not there...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    There was a good turnout, but the stands were not full especially toward the far side.

I, too, noted the decreased interactive portion of the day.

I think this is probably a product of the location. Usually fan day has been held at the same location as training camp so the logistics of getting the players there and back are non-existent. I assume they had some sort of team activity in the morning.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Did they blare CRAP dance music like at York last year which drove me away early? Turns out I could have stopped by but just too burnt after a GREAT Friday and night in TO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Did they blare CRAP dance music like at York last year which drove me away early? Turns out I could have stopped by but just too burnt after a GREAT Friday and night in TO.
    I guess you could say that. Not my kind of music but just something one puts up with until the game starts. Most of the "noise" they play at football games or hockey games I have never heard of, but I guess somebody supposedly likes it. I wonder if teams have ever actually polled their fans on how much we love the music they make us listen to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I guess you could say that. Not my kind of music but just something one puts up with until the game starts. Most of the "noise" they play at football games or hockey games I have never heard of, but I guess somebody supposedly likes it. I wonder if teams have ever actually polled their fans on how much we love the music they make us listen to.
    Don't know if they follow through on it or not, but they ask fans to tweet what songs they want to hear at Argos games. It could have something to do with the selection.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    The music they play at all sporting events does not bother me one bit. A lot is high energy pop, but that goes with dance and cheerleading squads. Even player or team introductions need some vibe. You can't have the Argos come out to Def Leopard guys. I really don't understand the complaining of music, most of the time I hardly notice it.