Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Preparing for 2016

In 2016 we'll be moving into a nice new facility and will be hosting the Grey cup. Obviously it will be important to make a good impression on the field next year and, ideally, participate in the big game (and not as the half-time entertainment).

What personnel changes do we need to make between now and then? Ray should still be performing at an elite level, our other top guys should still be productive, and I think we're making the necessary rejuvenation moves all teams need to make, but is there more to be done?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think we better focus on 2015 first. While 2016 sure looks exciting, we still have to make it through this year. There is no reason we can't still have fun and enjoy our last year at the dome.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    There's no guarantee Milanovich, Barker, Ray, Ownes and Durie will even be with the team in 2016. They might go in a totally different direction say another disappointing season.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    There's no guarantee Milanovich, Barker, Ray, Ownes and Durie will even be with the team in 2016. They might go in a totally different direction say another disappointing season.
    I think if Ray and Durie get injured yet again this season IMO it's time to move on. I've never been completely sold on Milanovich as a head coach, even less thrilled with his offense, so no big loss if he were to move on. Barker and Owens should be the only "untouchables" imo.

For some reason I get the feeling that this could be Himebauch's team next season.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    At this point I see no reason to blow up the team, so I'd focus on locking in our key assets and looking for ways to improve by spending a little money. Offering both Milanovich and Barker new or extended contracts would be a good place to start our preparations for 2016. Extending Ray, Owens and Durie into 2016+ also seems like a no-brainer.

By training camp 2017 a lot of our top current personnel will be well past their primes, and it'll be the perfect time to make major changes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    To prepare for 2016, we need 2015 to show improvements and success.
    We need to see Himebachs Oline .... Develop , improve and ready for the next year as a cohesive unit.
    We need to see the Defense improve ... Many of the players are the same and should be able to depend on each other. Creehan and co. May have some ups and downs in the first half of the season.... But just like our 100 th cup season, the last half should be strong and peaking for Nov.
    Ray will learn to pass less this year , with the improved Oline ( assumption to the positive) and with health issues minimized this year our offense will also peak in the second half. create interest this year ..... Team and fans ...... We will be ready for the new home.

Achievements:

Level

Achievements:

Level
    Sounds like it's official.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Great to hear of the extensions!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    F'N awesome news!!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Glad to hear about the contract extensions.

Achievements:

Level
    So, 2015 is done as far as we're concerned. I think we accomplished about as much as could be reasonably expected; I'm on record as not regarding this team as a "contender", so it's hard to be terribly disappointed in the outcome.

But I'm really optimistic about 2016. Even disregarding the new arenea we've found some receivers to build around, we have some good options at QB, and we've found some good new position players. There is plenty more work to do personnel-wise - particularly on the OL - before we can make a legitimate Cup run, but it seems well within the realm of possibility. It should be a very interesting off-season.

Does anyone know when Foley's contract is up? I know he extended with Sask right before we acquired him, but I can't find the details.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    So, 2015 is done as far as we're concerned. I think we accomplished about as much as could be reasonably expected; I'm on record as not regarding this team as a "contender", so it's hard to be terribly disappointed in the outcome.

But I'm really optimistic about 2016. Even disregarding the new arenea we've found some receivers to build around, we have some good options at QB, and we've found some good new position players. There is plenty more work to do personnel-wise - particularly on the OL - before we can make a legitimate Cup run, but it seems well within the realm of possibility. It should be a very interesting off-season.

Does anyone know when Foley's contract is up? I know he extended with Sask right before we acquired him, but I can't find the details.
    I am almost certain that Foley is a free agent this off-season as are Owens, Ray and Trevor Harris.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe Foley is in the last year of his deal, I remember earlier in the season he was asked about heading into BMO next year and he brought up how he was a free agent, so he might not even be a part of it.

Some Changes are clearly needed on this team, I'm going to have to take Owens off my 'untouchables" list, he's not the player he once was and Spencer can easily take over his spot. Barker and Milo aren't going anywhere, not that I'd want Barker to leave in the first place, but new offensive and defensive schemes are needed. I would love to see Benevides come in as the DC, if not him then Claybrooks, but I don't see Claybrooks going anywhere since he's the DC heir apparent in Calgary, Dickenson may not keep Stubler, so if he's available bring back Stubler. Barring that I have no idea who is available either up here or down south, so maybe Pete Kuharchek wants another shot as DC ?
    Offensively, I've made it no secret that I not only want Milanovich's system gone, but Brady as well. I really don't see the former happening at all, so I hope to god that Brady is given the boot, Himebauch could take over the job that was supposed to be his when Milo came over and Preston (current asst. Oline coach) could take over Himebauch's duties. Dump Elizondo and bring in a better more experienced coach. If Kack does retire, I would love to see him stay with the team as a coach, maybe not as WR coach or anything, but I hope the team can find him a spot, again IF he retires and is willing to stick around.

Talent wise, an upgrade to the offensive line is a necessity, we desperately need an upgrade at C, RG, and RT. I think we're pretty good with receivers, but I'd like to see a CDN WR drafted in the first two rounds and as I mentioned before, maybe time for Owens to leave, although if he's willing to take a massive pay cut and back-up role I wouldn't be opposed to him sticking around. Gurley, Elliott, Coombs and Hazelton have the talent, Bates has the talent but it may be too early to name him as good or bad player. I'd like to see the Argonauts go CDN at another SB or WR spot. Keep Stala around, he may not be a starter in the CFL anymore, but a good guy and player to keep in the locker room and for spot duty. Bring back Campbell next year, let him learn under Whitaker (and Kack if he sticks around), I can't stress this one enough, Campbell has been really impressive this year, I'd love to see him at least get a shot at being a pro player.

Defensively, there are a lot of issues IMO, we need more push from the dline, I still think Foley can play and Waud has been impressive, Wright and Cummings have been okay, but they need to keep looking for talent in those spots. I expect Okpalaugo to take a shot down South and Laing to either try the NFL or head home to Edmonton. I like our WIL and Mike linebackers, if Greenwood can stay healthy and Jones can improve on his pass coverage I think we'll have our own "Team 100". Sam Lb is a big problem IMO, Isaac can blitz, but can't cover very well anymore, we need an upgrade there. Our defensive backfield in the biggest problem IMO, aside from Jefferson and Gabriel, our guys just aren't good enough. Ansah can't play man-to-man to safe his life IMO, D. Smith gets beat often and seems to get 'lost' out there frequently and while I like Hawkins aggressiveness, he can't play man either IMO and doesn't have the speed to do it or catch up when a mistake is made. Keep Branden Smith around and coach him up to become a better player or release him if he's not good enough. Get rid of Agnew, why that guy's still on the roster confuses me to no end.

Look for another kicker, Swayze had one great year, 3 out of 4 terrible years would get you booted out in most places and his injury history has to send up red flags. Now, I'm not saying release him now or soon, but the look-out for the next kicker has to start this offseason, we can not have a repeat of the kicking carousel in 2016. As for the QB position, I've made it known that I'm not a big fan of either Ray or Harris, if Harris wants a big contract though, see ya. As for Ray I believe he can come back next year with his arm back to normal, Lulay took a long time to heal as well and IMO his arm was back this year compared to the Ottawa game last season, but at the same time Ray is 36 years old, his body can't take the hits the way gumby used to, so that has to be kept in mind with Ray's future. If the team decides to go with Harris no worries, I don't think he's as good as Ray or Collaros and at this point I'd actually keep Ray, but he's a capable QB. However, if the Argonauts decide to stick with Ray, they'd better hope that one of Kilgore, Fajardo or some other young QB that they bring in is ready to be "the guy" within two years.

Lastly, I can't wait for next season, fresh start in our new shared home and a new ownership group/leadership to lead this ship out troubled waters.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The right-side of the OL needs to be addressed in the off-season. I think Van Zeyl is close to the end and Wayne Smith is not the solution at that position. It really depends on whether the Argos feel Van Roten is the answer at RG. He seemed to shuffle around quite a bit this season, but might have been at his best when he was substituting for Keeping at Centre earlier in the year. I'm not displeased with Holmes and Campbell on the left side so I think that can be maintained. It is probably time that the Argos decide what they want to do with Sewell.

The receiving corps was a source of frustration. It seemed like they did not get open for the last five games of the season. Here's what I think though, you have four guys: Gurley, Elliott, Hazelton and Spencer who flashed enough potential in their rookie/1st seasons that you go forward and see what year two brings. Sprinkle in a guy like Coombs in there and assuming they all make the logical progression then our receiving corps should be in decent shape for next year.

Defensively, we have some questions surrounding whether or not Laing returns and whether Tristan O gets a shot down south, but we won't really know until the offseason gets into gear about what is going on there.

I, do hope, that Barker with the new ownership isn't afraid to sign a veteran FA or two (completely hypothetical), worry is with the secondary that we've created some sort of vicious cycle where new guys have to be brought in every year, players who aren't familiar with the CFL and there are growing pains and then repeat, repeat, repeat. I realize continuity at DC is an issue, but none of us want Creehan back either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Achievements:

Level
    I'm hoping/expecting that our personnel budget will be noticeably larger next year. If Bell/Kilmer are serious about trying to make money from the team, it would make sense to try to make a strong first impression in the new building and in a GC hosting year. That will make everything easier, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to re-sign expensive players that may no longer be earning their roster spots. If we're ever going to be at least semi-active in the free agent market, this might be the year. Argo has already put in a plug for Andrew Harris, and I'm curious to see what the full 2016 FA list looks like.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The question comes down to whether or not Barker's supposed hesitation to dip into the FA market was a matter of not trying to say that ownership won't fork over the cash or whether it is a legitimate personal belief. For the record, I have no problem with Barker wanting to recruit free agents from the United States, but use a hybrid model.

The pessimist in me is also worried over the fact that only two of our ten wins came by more than ten points. Suppose that the Argos don't get the bounces next year. In that respect, the ESF loss is a bit of a blessing in disguise because the Argos cannot and shouldn't rest on their laurels.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with the SnowRogue and argofan87 posts.

Yes, upgrades need to be made at a variety of positions. Yes, coaches coach better with better players. However, today's debacle was another example of the Milanovich groove, or rather rut. Standard operating procedure resembles the "the definition of insanity".

Brady, enough. Please go far, far away.

Creehan has already been discussed in another thread.

Player upgrades of interest / force of circumstance:
    O line. D line. Secondary. A quality young RB - where's the next Joe Smith, Barker?
    Owens, if re-signed (with incentives, not base salary bloat) should not be automatically ordained a starter.
    IIRC, Ray only attempted 2 or 3 longer throws today: I planned my schedule for the week ahead, or did a crossword, with the (jump) ball in flight.

So the QB situation is of significant concern. And since Milanovich simply benched Harris, we don't really know just why he regressed and whether he'd have managed to regain his previous high level of play.
    Harris should have played a few series today (and stayed in if he provided a spark, or in particular the mustard, and produced).
    Last edited by Argo; 11-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I agree with the SnowRogue and argofan87 posts.

Yes, upgrades need to be made at a variety of positions. Yes, coaches coach better with better players. However, today's debacle was another example of the Milanovich groove, or rather rut. Standard operating procedure resembles the "the definition of insanity".

Brady, enough. Please go far, far away.

Creehan has already been discussed in another thread.
    Wow. Nevermind the fact that they played 13 of 18 games on the road. To read this, you'd think they went 4-14 this year, and had their starting QB all season.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Wow. Nevermind the fact that they played 13 of 18 games on the road. To read this, you'd think they went 4-14 this year, and had their starting QB all season.
    True, more than its fair share of woe was dealt to the team this year. Finishing north of .500 is not at all shabby under such circumstances. Today, a winnable game, yet one-and-done.

The team really did not miss its starting quarterback all that much this season, did it?

I remain more concerned, apparently, about the QB position (and, by now, all its constituents) than you are. We'll see next season what's what.
    Last edited by Argo; 11-15-2015 at 11:45 PM.