Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Great comments by SnowRogue and others. We all agree on the o-line. I sure hope we get McEwan out of U of C, but I am fatalistically expecting him to try the NFL first. Please please please Sewell, be ready to start at RT next season.

I really hope we keep Cummings and find a way to persuade Laing and Okpalaugo to return, but not holding my breath on the latter two. Foley is gone, IMO. Isaac seems done, but we have excellent linebackers otherwise if we can keep them all. Love Greenwood, Jones and Miles, and I think Rolle could take a big step forward next season into regular PT on defence. Jefferson and Gabriel are the only DBs I have complete confidence in, but I think the position is tough enough to learn that some of the current group will improve next season.

Lots of talent at receiver, which should be our most set position. Owens is welcome to return but not at his current salary, I'm afraid. Whitaker likely has another year or two in him; Kackert is probably headed to retirement.

We have good to excellent depth of NATs, except on the o-line (where we really need them). If Campbell makes the team next year and McEwan arrives in the not-too-distant future, the 2015 draft may turn out to have been excellent.

As for QB, I'm on record as wanting both guys to return and thinking it is at least semi-possible. However, RR would have to come into camp knowing that he is earmarked to back up Harris. If he were to accept that role, he could easily play three or four more years with pretty good paycheques and occasional returns to glory.

Barker and Milanovich need to stay -- I really hope Milanovich does not get into consideration for the Maryland HC gig. DC might change (most posters here want that, certainly) and I would be totally down with Benevides as the new guy. Not prepared to toss Brady overboard but would not cry too hard if he left and Himebauch took over.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    It is probably time that the Argos decide what they want to do with Sewell.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We all agree on the o-line. I sure hope we get McEwan out of U of C, but I am fatalistically expecting him to try the NFL first. Please please please Sewell, be ready to start at RT next season.
    Completely forgot about Sewell, but I agree Sewell has to be ready next season and/or the Argo Brass needs to figure out what to do with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The receiving corps was a source of frustration. It seemed like they did not get open for the last five games of the season. Here's what I think though, you have four guys: Gurley, Elliott, Hazelton and Spencer who flashed enough potential in their rookie/1st seasons that you go forward and see what year two brings. Sprinkle in a guy like Coombs in there and assuming they all make the logical progression then our receiving corps should be in decent shape for next year.
    Not sure how much stock should be put into this, but just before Rays first start this season (IIRC), Ray was asked about how he'll do in the offense with receivers he's never played with and Ray's response something to the effect of "our offense is so detailed that there's very little freelancing", maybe that's why the receivers don't get open, Milanovich's offense is so specific that they're only supposed to be in certain spots at all times. I didn't/don't know what to make of it, but maybe it could be a valid excuse ?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    However, RR would have to come into camp knowing that he is earmarked to back up Harris. If he were to accept that role, he could easily play three or four more years with pretty good paycheques and occasional returns to glory.
    What has Ray done that he should be demoted to the back up role and what has Harris done (aside from being 7 years younger) to be named the starter ?
    I have no issue if the starting spot is up for grabs during TC, let the best QB win, but IMO Ray is still the starter until Harris unseats him.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Wow. Nevermind the fact that they played 13 of 18 games on the road. To read this, you'd think they went 4-14 this year, and had their starting QB all season.
    I think our expectations were so high for the playoff game that this season is now seen as a big disappointment, but I will say this, considering everything the team had to deal with this year, we made a great run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Kirk Penton from the Winnipeg Sun has a list of free agents from the Argos:

MORE ARGO UNCERTAINTY
    Toronto’s unofficial list of potential free agents doesn’t stop with Ray and Harris. There are many starters who could move elsewhere if they don’t get deals done with Jim Barker before the second Tuesday in February.
    Other notable potential free agents are offensive linemen Jeff Keeping and Wayne Smith, running back Brandon Whitaker, receiver Chad Owens, defensive linemen Tristan Okpalaugo, Cleyon Laing, Euclid Cummings and Jason Vega, linebackers Greg Jones and Cory Greenwood, defensive back Jermaine Gabriel and Waters.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/.../22573294.html

Regarding the QB situation, the good news for the Argos is that there aren't a lot of openings for starters around the league. Winnipeg is set with Willy, the Riders with Durant, B.C. seems committed to Jennings, the Esks with Reilly, the Stamps with Mitchell, the Ticats with Collaros and the RedBlacks with Burris. You do have the Als who are currently planning on going with Glenn as their starter with a bunch of promising youngsters behind him but would Montreal really be that desirable a spot for either Ray or Harris? IMO, it makes much more sense for both Ray and Harris to stay put in Toronto in a system that they are comfortable in than take a shot elsewhere where they wouldn't be guaranteed to be a starter anyway. The Argos will end up retaining one of those QBs for sure and I suspect both. However, if they lose one of them, Travis Lulay is also a free agent and might not be a bad fit in Toronto.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I believe Foley is in the last year of his deal, I remember earlier in the season he was asked about heading into BMO next year and he brought up how he was a free agent, so he might not even be a part of it.

Some Changes are clearly needed on this team, I'm going to have to take Owens off my 'untouchables" list, he's not the player he once was and Spencer can easily take over his spot. Barker and Milo aren't going anywhere, not that I'd want Barker to leave in the first place, but new offensive and defensive schemes are needed. I would love to see Benevides come in as the DC, if not him then Claybrooks, but I don't see Claybrooks going anywhere since he's the DC heir apparent in Calgary, Dickenson may not keep Stubler, so if he's available bring back Stubler. Barring that I have no idea who is available either up here or down south, so maybe Pete Kuharchek wants another shot as DC ?
    Offensively, I've made it no secret that I not only want Milanovich's system gone, but Brady as well. I really don't see the former happening at all, so I hope to god that Brady is given the boot, Himebauch could take over the job that was supposed to be his when Milo came over and Preston (current asst. Oline coach) could take over Himebauch's duties. Dump Elizondo and bring in a better more experienced coach. If Kack does retire, I would love to see him stay with the team as a coach, maybe not as WR coach or anything, but I hope the team can find him a spot, again IF he retires and is willing to stick around.

Talent wise, an upgrade to the offensive line is a necessity, we desperately need an upgrade at C, RG, and RT. I think we're pretty good with receivers, but I'd like to see a CDN WR drafted in the first two rounds and as I mentioned before, maybe time for Owens to leave, although if he's willing to take a massive pay cut and back-up role I wouldn't be opposed to him sticking around. Gurley, Elliott, Coombs and Hazelton have the talent, Bates has the talent but it may be too early to name him as good or bad player. I'd like to see the Argonauts go CDN at another SB or WR spot. Keep Stala around, he may not be a starter in the CFL anymore, but a good guy and player to keep in the locker room and for spot duty. Bring back Campbell next year, let him learn under Whitaker (and Kack if he sticks around), I can't stress this one enough, Campbell has been really impressive this year, I'd love to see him at least get a shot at being a pro player.

Defensively, there are a lot of issues IMO, we need more push from the dline, I still think Foley can play and Waud has been impressive, Wright and Cummings have been okay, but they need to keep looking for talent in those spots. I expect Okpalaugo to take a shot down South and Laing to either try the NFL or head home to Edmonton. I like our WIL and Mike linebackers, if Greenwood can stay healthy and Jones can improve on his pass coverage I think we'll have our own "Team 100". Sam Lb is a big problem IMO, Isaac can blitz, but can't cover very well anymore, we need an upgrade there. Our defensive backfield in the biggest problem IMO, aside from Jefferson and Gabriel, our guys just aren't good enough. Ansah can't play man-to-man to safe his life IMO, D. Smith gets beat often and seems to get 'lost' out there frequently and while I like Hawkins aggressiveness, he can't play man either IMO and doesn't have the speed to do it or catch up when a mistake is made. Keep Branden Smith around and coach him up to become a better player or release him if he's not good enough. Get rid of Agnew, why that guy's still on the roster confuses me to no end.

Look for another kicker, Swayze had one great year, 3 out of 4 terrible years would get you booted out in most places and his injury history has to send up red flags. Now, I'm not saying release him now or soon, but the look-out for the next kicker has to start this offseason, we can not have a repeat of the kicking carousel in 2016. As for the QB position, I've made it known that I'm not a big fan of either Ray or Harris, if Harris wants a big contract though, see ya. As for Ray I believe he can come back next year with his arm back to normal, Lulay took a long time to heal as well and IMO his arm was back this year compared to the Ottawa game last season, but at the same time Ray is 36 years old, his body can't take the hits the way gumby used to, so that has to be kept in mind with Ray's future. If the team decides to go with Harris no worries, I don't think he's as good as Ray or Collaros and at this point I'd actually keep Ray, but he's a capable QB. However, if the Argonauts decide to stick with Ray, they'd better hope that one of Kilgore, Fajardo or some other young QB that they bring in is ready to be "the guy" within two years.

Lastly, I can't wait for next season, fresh start in our new shared home and a new ownership group/leadership to lead this ship out troubled waters.
    X2 Couldn't ay it much better myself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Wow. Nevermind the fact that they played 13 of 18 games on the road. To read this, you'd think they went 4-14 this year, and had their starting QB all season.

No joke. The fact this team did what it did this season with all the crap it dealt with is impressive. If Waters doesn't miss 2 makeable FGs (maybe if he makes just one) this team is in the Eastern Final with a very good shot to go to the Grey Cup against a beatable Ottawa team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Maryland has a HC job open and Millanovich could be in the running?

Love to see that, and good luck to him if he could get a promotion/ better job and shot at the big league.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Kirk Penton from the Winnipeg Sun has a list of free agents from the Argos:
    Wow - that is a lot of good players, and he didn't even mention Foley. The amount of effort I'd make to re-sign each one (from 1-3 stars, where 1 star means trying to underpay perceived market value and 3 stars means being willing to overpay a bit) would be:

Ray: **
    Harris: ***
    Keeping: **
    W Smith: *
    Whitaker: ***
    Owens: **
    Okpalaugo: **
    Laing: ***
    Cummings: **
    Vega: *
    Jones: ***
    Greenwood: **
    Gabriel: ***
    Waters: **
    Foley: **

Keeping hasn't had a good year, but having an experienced center on the roster is mandatory. Greenwood and Waters would be three-star guys if their health could be 99% confirmed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Anyone know the deal with Travis Luly. I know he is a free agent come FEb. has he fully recovered?, was his last injury his ankle? The lions look set at QB with this new guy and his low salary. They will dump Travis and his 450,000. Can see the lions loading up on free agents for 2016. Wonder where Travis will land. Would the Argos take a shot at him, if they work him out and liked what they see?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballstothewall View Post
    Anyone know the deal with Travis Luly. I know he is a free agent come FEb. has he fully recovered?, was his last injury his ankle? The lions look set at QB with this new guy and his low salary. They will dump Travis and his 450,000. Can see the lions loading up on free agents for 2016. Wonder where Travis will land. Would the Argos take a shot at him, if they work him out and liked what they see?
    Hi arm looked strong the last 2 games, but inactivity may have been an issue for him. Definitely worth a look, and if he wants to play, you may get him at a bargain.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Really when you think of it any QB that is signed from FA to including either or both of our current top two should include incentive laden $.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Really when you think of it any QB that is signed from FA to including either or both of our current top two should include incentive laden $.
    Same could be said for a QB that has only played most of 1 season as a starter.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Maryland has a HC job open and Millanovich could be in the running?

Love to see that, and good luck to him if he could get a promotion/ better job and shot at the big league.
    There was a media report a week or two ago which indicated that Milanovich was "very excited" about the change of ownership and stadium for the Argos. I would be shocked to see him go anywhere at this point and I sure hope that he stays put.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Wow - that is a lot of good players, and he didn't even mention Foley. The amount of effort I'd make to re-sign each one (from 1-3 stars, where 1 star means trying to underpay perceived market value and 3 stars means being willing to overpay a bit) would be:

Ray: **
    Harris: ***
    Keeping: **
    W Smith: *
    Whitaker: ***
    Owens: **
    Okpalaugo: **
    Laing: ***
    Cummings: **
    Vega: *
    Jones: ***
    Greenwood: **
    Gabriel: ***
    Waters: **
    Foley: **

Keeping hasn't had a good year, but having an experienced center on the roster is mandatory. Greenwood and Waters would be three-star guys if their health could be 99% confirmed.
    Undervaluing Greenwood and Okpalaugo, IMO. Overvaluing Foley altho his nationality makes him more valuable than he really is.

Achievements:

Level
    You're probably right about Okpalaugo.

Greenwood gets three stars if he really is healthy. Foley is probably still the top NAT rush end in the league and a good PR guy, so I'd be willing to pay the going rate for him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    You're probably right about Okpalaugo.

Greenwood gets three stars if he really is healthy. Foley is probably still the top NAT rush end in the league and a good PR guy, so I'd be willing to pay the going rate for him.
    I'm a big Foley fan, but IMO he is not near as good as a few years ago; and Cappicotti for Ottawa is the way better CFL DE now.

Not sure Okpo wil get any NFL interest; also not sure Laing will be welcome "home" in Edmonton after being accused of purposely trying to injure their starting QB - twice.

As far as the D: whole new D-backfield competition needed IMO - Gabriel is a keeper and Jefferson the best of the new guys but the rest are not near good enough; maybe Jimbo could change his recruiting tune and go out and sign a proven vet D-backfielder instead of thinking he can just throw a bunch of NFL cuts together and that means they can form a good unit.

D-line: be great to have all 3 DTs back; and Okpo & Foley; but find another DE (why a mediocre Wright was playing much AND on the field at a crucial part of the play-off game - to help cost the game (questionable call maybe, but I think he had to try to get out of the way of falling into the QB when you have to know they call anything close there) is way beyond me.

Nice to have Greenwood back if he is healthy; I know a lot of commentators here are big fans of Jones at MLB but not so much me - he is no Sol-E or Muamba in terms of a play-making MLB; so bring in some competition there; and find a big play-making OLB; Issac is a vet but not a real stud there. Miles did really well for a young guy throw in - nice draft pick - but maybe better suited as a MLB

O-Line is the huge issue on offence IMO; like to see a healthy Jerriel King back and love to see draft pick McEwen show up; Holmes has got to get better at guard - he was blown away far too often late in the season - maybe he should get a shot at OT where he played in college; the rest = bring in lots of competition; Van Roten is average at best IMO and i believe Sewell is a write-off unless he can make the transition to guard cause doubtful he gets a real shot at OT; Van Zeyl & Keeping = vets but maybe suited as vet back-ups.

Achievements:

Level
    Terrific post, OV. I think you're underrating Van Roten a bit (don't forget versatility!) but otherwise, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I'm a big Foley fan, but IMO he is not near as good as a few years ago; and Cappicotti for Ottawa is the way better CFL DE now.
    Yeah, you're probably right about Cappicotti.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Kirk Penton is reporting in the Sun that the Argos have a whopping 24 potential free agents (Frank Zicarelli says 28):

CHANGE IS COMING
    Milanovich would love to have an off-season in which his roster doesn’t turn over very much, but with at least a whopping 24 potential free agents that is unlikely to happen.
    “The reality is the last two seasons we’ve pretty much rebuilt our personnel, and Jim and his staff did a great job this year of adding real talent and what I would hope is that there’s not much turnover and we could have the same off-season and then you have talented players competing for the same position.
    “When you have multiple guys at one position that are good, it brings out the best in everybody. So that’s what I’m hoping for, but we’ll have to see how it goes.”

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2015/11/16/22573649.html
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/16...by-free-agency
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-17-2015 at 02:27 AM.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's 1/2 of our gameday roster!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

New Fan
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    The biggest question going into 2016 is at QB. Harris started to struggle when Ray started to dress. I'm not sure if there is a connection but as Mike Hogan mentioned after the game on Sunday, 15 casts a very large shadow. It was refreshing, from my perspective, that we had a QB that we developed and didn't come to the team as a FA cast off. My opinion is that if you give the keys to Harris, you'd get what we saw in the first half of the year. He pushes the ball down the field more than Ray ever did. Ray is going to have a better QB rating but when all you do is check down to the back and get 4 yards each pass, harder to score TDs. I'm pretty sure both coach M and JB will take some time and do what is best for the team regarding the QB.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I've been saying that for years about finding our own qb's and rb's. It finally happened in the last three or so years. Now the Argos are supplying the league with talent at both positions. I'm really hoping we've found a gem in Cody Fajardo. I've watched some video and the guy can run like the wind and he's a pretty solid passer. I guess the NFL skipped him due to some sort of medical concern. Heard that one before.