Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level

How long before BMO is an Argonaut only stadium?

I just don't see TFC lasting. I hear that many of their so called fans are going to bail now that The Argonauts are in. How can this league spend the kind of cash they do on players with so so attendance numbers. Many leagues have come and gone by getting ahead of themselves. The CFL does it right!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    With MLSE owning TFC I don't think that TFC is going to go out of business unless MLS folds. I have no issues sharing City Owned BMO Field with TFC.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Toronto FC fans threatening to do something is drastically different than Toronto FC fans actually doing something. We won't see what effects (if any) there are on their fanbase until next season. Personally, I doubt you'll notice a huge difference. There will be a small percentage of hot-heads who perhaps do go through with their threat, but I think a majority of their fanbase resigned themselves to BMO becoming multipurpose.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Get blue seats in there now!!!! That stadium is ours now! haha.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Get blue seats in there now!!!! That stadium is ours now! haha.
    Or you could just fill it with Argo fans and save your money.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I just don't see TFC lasting. I hear that many of their so called fans are going to bail now that The Argonauts are in. How can this league spend the kind of cash they do on players with so so attendance numbers. Many leagues have come and gone by getting ahead of themselves. The CFL does it right!!
    Simply put BMO will never be Argos only. MLSE believes in TFC as a product or they would not shell out millions of dollars year after year on high profile players.

The vocal minority does not equal many of their fans. Will there be some that leave? Sure.

There have been many things that have angered TFC supporters over the years and demonstrations have been made which led to discussions between supporters and front office to better the situations.

The biggest issue that TFC fans have is having a playing surface that is anything less than perfect for TFC on matchdays. Any fan of any team in any league would want the same thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I would hope that in 20+ years or once BMO is at the end of the road, the Argonauts and TFC share a new venue once again.
    BMO Field is the home of Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonuats, why not just be happy with that.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I would hope that in 20+ years or once BMO is at the end of the road, the Argonauts and TFC share a new venue once again.
    BMO Field is the home of Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonuats, why not just be happy with that.
    I get why some supporters are upset but the writing was on the wall for 2 years now. Toronto was without MLS level soccer for years, when it came people were very excited again. Many of the people saying they will leave are young enough to not know what it was like to have nothing.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Honestly it feels like a step back in all reality to me. Too bad Rogers are A Holes!!! CNE Stadium could be a miserable place to watch football when it was three or four degrees, raining sideways with wind howling off the lake and now we're back to that. Summer will be a blast. Dressing for cold rain is very different then just cold. Not sure how well the little tin roofs will work. Oh well this is supposedly what TO Argo fans wanted so we shall see.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    It will be absolutely freezing for late season games 1argoholic. March/April (and sometimes May) TFC games can be frigid. The roof won't protect from the elements either (they are more for sound purposes). Rain/snow/wind will still blow in from all sides. Late season games be ready to wear layers.

You are correct though that summer games will be a blast.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    The most significant issue with Toronto stadium history is that the call for a domed, multipurpose stadium came at the end of the "cookie-cutter" era in the United States. The dome in Minneapolis was opened in 1982. In addition, there were domes built in Vancouver, Indianapolis and St. Petersburg. Now when the SkyDome was completed in 1989, it was considered to be the stadium of the future and consequently Blue Jays attendance rose above 4,000,000 and Argo attendance crept back into the 35,000-40,000 range. However, in 1992 the Orioles opened Camden Yards, which set the precedent for future baseball stadiums with a retro, baseball-only feel. Retractable roofs would still be incorporated, but in a less invasive way.

I guess the point of my little history rant is that tastes change.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    I get why some supporters are upset but the writing was on the wall for 2 years now. Toronto was without MLS level soccer for years, when it came people were very excited again. Many of the people saying they will leave are young enough to not know what it was like to have nothing.
    I'll be the first to admit that for a few years I said I didn't care if TFC folded or that I wanted them to fold, it never had anything to do with the team, but the negative fans that they had. Maybe it's because I've gotten older and more mature, I don't know, but the way I look at this is let's look at the positives here, TFC is alive and well, BMO is receiving a major renovation, that IMO should make the soccer experience better, heck the money that they're investing in the grass alone is a positive for the team. IIRC there was issues with the first TFC game last year due to the affect the ice storm winter had, maybe with the desso system and the new heating system that won't happen again. The Argos have new solid ownership, along with moving into a new home that's much more suitable to their needs and a co-tenant that plays less than 81 home games nor practices there on the regular. The new roof will hopefully make BMO the loudest venue in both the MLS and CFL.

Neither team needs to or should fold, personally I don't want to see any team fold (Not even the Arizona Coyotes, moving the Coyotes may be a different matter lol). Why can't we all just get along and wait and see how this all works out for both teams, MLSE and TanenBELL are investing a lot of time and money to make sure it's the best possible situation, IMO that should be taken as a good thing.

I also want to personally apologize to Tbone for all the hoopla and grief I may have caused previously. I'm sure we'll still get into debates from time to time, but sports fans in this city should stick together.
    Last edited by R.J; 05-21-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Boatman
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't know why both teams fans can't get along (so long as there are no effect to the field). The biggest sports franchises in the city (Leafs) share their venue with other events (Raptors, Toronto Rock, concerts etc).

With the cost/availability of land in the city a single venue for every team just isn't a viable option. I don't know why that is so hard for some to accept.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    I just don't like the opinion of many tfc fans that the argos should just fold Instead of using their stadium and potentially damaging the grass...
    if tfc had no home I would welcome them to the argos field.
    stop being so selfish... watch an argo game or two you may like it, I may catch a tfc game now that we are in the same stadium.
    Hey everybody! Check out my YouTube page at MARCWAGZ ON YOUTUBE for some Mediocre Martial Arts and Music Videos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    I don't know why both teams fans can't get along
    Will this Bell-Tannenbaum-Vito Corleone brokered peace stand the test of time? We'll see.

Though I read somewhere that the infamous 'No Argos at BMO' banner taken down during the TFC home opener was displayed without incident during their next game, so I'm not sure the malcontents are going to give up their protests.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The most significant issue with Toronto stadium history is that the call for a domed, multipurpose stadium came at the end of the "cookie-cutter" era in the United States. The dome in Minneapolis was opened in 1982. In addition, there were domes built in Vancouver, Indianapolis and St. Petersburg. Now when the SkyDome was completed in 1989, it was considered to be the stadium of the future and consequently Blue Jays attendance rose above 4,000,000 and Argo attendance crept back into the 35,000-40,000 range. However, in 1992 the Orioles opened Camden Yards, which set the precedent for future baseball stadiums with a retro, baseball-only feel. Retractable roofs would still be incorporated, but in a less invasive way.

I guess the point of my little history rant is that tastes change.
    I LOVED "The EX", and didnt mind the weather, as a teen then into my early twenties....HOWEVER...now approaching 50, im not sure that i'd enjoy the rain,snow, and frigid temps as much. I have no quarrle with the Skydome, its just the owners who are gutterfilth
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    The main concern of Toronto FC fans seems to be the grass. We'll see the results soon enough on the impact that CFL football will have on that.

When the argument that some Toronto FC fans put forth denigrates into CFL & Argo bashing it cheapens their argument because it makes you think whether their motivation is protecting their turf or just being CFL haters.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I also want to personally apologize to Tbone for all the hoopla and grief I may have caused previously. I'm sure we'll still get into debates from time to time, but sports fans in this city should stick together.
    No worries. Hopefully we can grab a pint in the not to distant future and cheers to "peace and long life" for both teams at BMO Field and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I read somewhere that the infamous 'No Argos at BMO' banner taken down during the TFC home opener was displayed without incident during their next game, so I'm not sure the malcontents are going to give up their protests.
    Who cares? It's a done deal now and they can protest all they want, it won't change anything. Also, yes it was up at the last TFC home game. Maybe we can purchase it from Inebriatti, cut off the "NO" and use it at the Argos home opener in 2016.

860x280xnaab-860x280.jpg

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Will this Bell-Tannenbaum-Vito Corleone brokered peace stand the test of time? We'll see.

Though I read somewhere that the infamous 'No Argos at BMO' banner taken down during the TFC home opener was displayed without incident during their next game, so I'm not sure the malcontents are going to give up their protests.
    I understand that some fans intend to wear black t-shirts to bemoan the loss of their soccer-specific stadium. I don't think this particular "event" will reference the Argos though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    No worries. Hopefully we can grab a pint in the not to distant future and cheers to "peace and long life" for both teams at BMO Field and beyond.
    Nothing wrong with that.