Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Training Camp Starts Wednesday

After a long offseason TC finally is a couple days away. I doubt we will see Ricky in any pre-season game action. Lots of question yet to be answered on both sides of the ball. Gut feeling tells me a lot of things must go perfect for this team this year in order to make the post season.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Toronto Argonauts: 2015 Training Camp Thread

Use this thread to discuss all the goings on at training camp.

Gut feeling tells me a lot of things must go perfect for this team this year in order to make the post season.
    My gut says the same.
    Last edited by Will; 05-25-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Looking forward to it. Sunday is the first full practice with a double session starting at 7:30am. So glad it's at York..10 minute drive instead of the 45minute to Erindale for me.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Looking forward to it. Sunday is the first full practice with a double session starting at 7:30am. So glad it's at York..10 minute drive instead of the 45minute to Erindale for me.
    And its now the other way around for me. 10 minutes to Erindale, 45 min to York.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    And its now the other way around for me. 10 minutes to Erindale, 45 min to York.
    LOL..Sorry about that, but I have more than paid my dues.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I used to stop at Erindale while doing my lawn maintenance runs. From home it used to be 10 to 15 for me. Now at least to hit York is less then two hours. Will be faster once the 407 extends to 115/35. Which I love and hate all at the same time. Right now there's a sweet drive from 115/35 right into Brooklin.

Perhaps I should head to York but not for 7:30 am.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    What I am looking forward to most this year is how the new rules will transform the game. Lots more room for receivers and punt returners should make the game even more exciting. We should see a faster pace to the games this year as well. And finally, do you go for two points from the two yard line after a TD or kick your one point convert from the 32? I would be inclined to go for 2 every time with the expectation that you should be able to make at least half of them.

Anyway, part of how well teams will do this year, including the Argos, is how well they can adjust to these new rules. I think that the Argos will put lots of points on the board offensively which means that where exactly they wind up will depend on whether they have a competent defence. I am a little concerned about having a newcomer to the Canadian game coaching special teams but personnel like Swayze Waters and Chad Owens should put the Argos in good field position.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    What I am looking forward to most this year is how the new rules will transform the game. Lots more room for receivers and punt returners should make the game even more exciting. We should see a faster pace to the games this year as well. And finally, do you go for two points from the two yard line after a TD or kick your one point convert from the 32? I would be inclined to go for 2 every time with the expectation that you should be able to make at least half of them.

Anyway, part of how well teams will do this year, including the Argos, is how well they can adjust to these new rules. I think that the Argos will put lots of points on the board offensively which means that where exactly they wind up will depend on whether they have a competent defence. I am a little concerned about having a newcomer to the Canadian game coaching special teams but personnel like Swayze Waters and Chad Owens should put the Argos in good field position.
    Ravi, I gather you are expecting Owens to be the Argos main return weapon this year? I really hope one of the youngsters that were signed in the offseason can supplant him in that role.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Owens won't be returning any more kickoffs, but he'd be hard to replace as a punt returner. Well, it has to happen some time...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Owens won't be returning any more kickoffs, but he'd be hard to replace as a punt returner. Well, it has to happen some time...
    Yeah, he stopped returning kickoffs last season. He may not return every punt this year but I suspect we will still see him doing some of the punt returning at least. Of course, it would be great if one or two of the new signings/draftees are able to take some, if not most, of the load off of him.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Achievements:

Level
    I feel the need for a foolish prediction based on a lot of guesses and wishful thinking. Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2015 starting line-up:

Campbell-Holmes*-Keeping*-Van Zeyl*-King
    Hazelton-Owens-Elliott-Shaw
    Steele-Durie*
    Ray

B Smith-Agnew-Gabriel*-Owusu Ansah-Washington
    Ware-Jones-Greenwood*
    Foley*-Robertson-Laing*-Okpalaugo

"Reasoning"
    - Eight National* starters with O/D balance, most with good backups (i.e. no ratio issues)
    - Campbell and Hazelton were specifically mentioned by Milanovich, so why argue (yet)?
    - Elliott seems to have been a good NFL pre-season performer who *just* missed out (very much like Inman before we signed him)
    - Shaw is a good WR prospect and an experienced kick returner
    - I don't know why Owusu-Ansah couldn't stick in the NFL, but with his size and speed... let's give him a chance
    - Tracy Robertson is a bit more credentialed than Delano Johnson at DT and I think we could improve at this position

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I feel the need for a foolish prediction based on a lot of guesses and wishful thinking. Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2015 starting line-up:

Campbell-Holmes*-Keeping*-Van Zeyl*-King
    Hazelton-Owens-Elliott-Shaw
    Steele-Durie*
    Ray

B Smith-Agnew-Gabriel*-Owusu Ansah-Washington
    Ware-Jones-Greenwood*
    Foley*-Robertson-Laing*-Okpalaugo

"Reasoning"
    - Eight National* starters with O/D balance, most with good backups (i.e. no ratio issues)
    - Campbell and Hazelton were specifically mentioned by Milanovich, so why argue (yet)?
    - Elliott seems to have been a good NFL pre-season performer who *just* missed out (very much like Inman before we signed him)
    - Shaw is a good WR prospect and an experienced kick returner
    - I don't know why Owusu-Ansah couldn't stick in the NFL, but with his size and speed... let's give him a chance
    - Tracy Robertson is a bit more credentialed than Delano Johnson at DT and I think we could improve at this position
    Looks pretty good to me. But I think they are going to start 5 NATS on offence -- one of Coombs, Adjei, Robinson or Dupuis will be on the offence at all times.

New Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I get off work at 1:00 PM, I assume they'll still be practicing if I showed up at around 1:30? Can anyone confirm what time a double session usually ends at? It will be my first time attending a TC session.

Achievements:

Level
    Coombs is important and will probably replace Durie before long, but I see him as a backup on Game 1+. Milanovich mentioned him as a WR candidate but if none of our recruits are better suited to play field WR I'll be disappointed. AC will get playing time at whatever position is appropriate, but not as a starter until he's earned it.

I love Robinson as a role-player (blocking TE who can catch on designed plays) but can't see him as a starter. Dupuis has a less exciting but similar role... not a starter either. Adjei might rise to the occasion and become important if we have some NAT injuries, but why start him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    A lot of us Mississauga guys were spoiled with the Erindale campus. I probably should've checked things out way more than I did at the time.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    Any chance Kackert can play?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Tim Brown just got released.. as a RB, he'd be on the small side again.. but would definitely help the return game...

I noticed we don't have very many NI receivers...I take it Bauman didn't make it out of mini camp? Think we would want to give Kito Poblah a shot, since he got released with Brown as well? At least bring him into camp?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    Tim Brown just got released.. as a RB, he'd be on the small side again.. but would definitely help the return game...

I noticed we don't have very many NI receivers...I take it Bauman didn't make it out of mini camp? Think we would want to give Kito Poblah a shot, since he got released with Brown as well? At least bring him into camp?
    Tim Brown is 30 I believe. He might be able to help our return game if he is healthy and if he still has some explosiveness. It isn't unheard of for a returner to play into his 30s if he is durable. Marvin Coleman and Adrion Smith did this, as did Pinball Clemons. I think he (Brown) is a good player and will get a chance either here (hopefully) or somewhere else. I hope some new players can return kicks as well, and I hope Chad Owens is almost never used to return kickoffs and even punts. He is simply too valuable as a receiver and many other players can return kicks. He has very sure hands, and has improved greatly in that respect, but that aspect of his game can hopefully be found in another player.

If we go with an experienced starting punt returner I hope it is someone like Tim Brown and not Chad Owens. Another strategy is to try and find a younger player or two to return punts and/or kickoffs with great speed, explosiveness who are in their prime and can really change a game the way an older player might not be able to do as easily. Someone like Brandon Banks, or Chris Williams before him. I cannot think of one good reason to not give Tim Brown a chance at camp. We can hopefully make the space on the roster.

As for our shortage of national receivers, I think we should have signed Anthony Woodson as he is a RB but can also play that Andre Durie style SB position. We have more cap space and another roster spot for a national receiver now that Mike Bradwell has retired. We should have known Bradwell might retire or at least prepared for that possibility. We could always have traded or released Woodson later if the GM Barker felt the need to, which would have been unlikely anyway--especially with the new ownership group coming. If Braley ends up or already is signing more front-office employees to market the team, why not a bit more for players?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Coombs is important and will probably replace Durie before long, but I see him as a backup on Game 1+. Milanovich mentioned him as a WR candidate but if none of our recruits are better suited to play field WR I'll be disappointed. AC will get playing time at whatever position is appropriate, but not as a starter until he's earned it.

I love Robinson as a role-player (blocking TE who can catch on designed plays) but can't see him as a starter. Dupuis has a less exciting but similar role... not a starter either. Adjei might rise to the occasion and become important if we have some NAT injuries, but why start him?
    I don't see any of these guys as being a starter either. What I am saying is that these guys would be platooning into the lineup at a variety of positions -- SB, FB, TE, WR, H-Back -- depending on the situation. Collectively, these four represent a ton of talent and a ton of versatility and will give you a lot more options than a single INT WR would.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie Fan View Post

As for our shortage of national receivers, I think we should have signed Anthony Woodson as he is a RB but can also play that Andre Durie style SB position. We have more cap space and another roster spot for a national receiver now that Mike Bradwell has retired. We should have known Bradwell might retire or at least prepared for that possibility. We could always have traded or released Woodson later if the GM Barker felt the need to, which would have been unlikely anyway--especially with the new ownership group coming. If Braley ends up or already is signing more front-office employees to market the team, why not a bit more for players?
    I was also disappointed to see Woodson go, but for all we know Dillon Campbell could be even better, so I'm willing to give Barker the benefit of the doubt.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    well I will say provided Campbell holds up I like the proposed o-line in the thread there. Would love to see Kackert back on the field (ever the optimist here) however in time I think Dillon Campbell will be good for us and let us start a National. Durie is an absolute stud and won't be anything but a starter for at least a few more seasons - he's got gas in the tank for sure. Looking forward to TC and the season for sure