Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

CFL, TSN, and RDS extend TV and Radio agreement through 2021

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/cfl...greement-2021/

I'm not surprised at all by this, considering who will be the 50% owner of the Argonauts. I'm not going to lie though, I'm a bit disappointed by this news, I was really hoping that with Shaw (as a sponsor) coming aboard there was some hope that the league was going to finally start airing some games on OTA tv after 2018 and get another tv partner in order to grow the coverage of the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The #CFL is getting ready to launch a new website as well and modernizing its stats system.
    Good news!

New Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    good stuff

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is a mistake, IMO, unless TSN has the right to dish some games off to Rogers, and does so. We could be in for six more years of the second-largest (and growing) sports network dissing and ignoring the CFL. Or the CFL/TSN could sell Rogers a game a week and force them to become invested in the success of the product.

Very disappointing.

(Not to mention Rod Black.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This is a mistake, IMO, unless TSN has the right to dish some games off to Rogers, and does so. We could be in for six more years of the second-largest (and growing) sports network dissing and ignoring the CFL. Or the CFL/TSN could sell Rogers a game a week and force them to become invested in the success of the product.

Very disappointing.

I suspect that TSN has the right to sell games to another network, as they did to the CBC for years, but they don't seem to be interested in doing so. Perhaps they will at some point over the next six years though. I too would love to see CFL games appear on at least one other network, such as Rogers, so that the league can get enhanced TV coverage on that network. Hopefully with the Shaw deal though, we might see somewhat more of a CFL presence on Global even if they don't actually have any games.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Very disappointing.

Nothing about Rogers recent behaviour suggests they want to kiss and make up by taking a token CFL game a week. And TSN is not well advised to go multi-network with the last property in Canada they have exclusive rights over. Jays = Rogers. NHL = (mostly) Rogers. Raptors = split. If TSN also went for a split on CFL rights they'd essentially be crowning themselves a subordinate network. From a fan's perspective a multi-network deal would seem good for the game but I don't think it aligns with Bell/TSN thinking and we ought to consider that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Nothing about Rogers recent behaviour suggests they want to kiss and make up by taking a token CFL game a week. And TSN is not well advised to go multi-network with the last property in Canada they have exclusive rights over. Jays = Rogers. NHL = (mostly) Rogers. Raptors = split. If TSN also went for a split on CFL rights they'd essentially be crowning themselves a subordinate network. From a fan's perspective a multi-network deal would seem good for the game but I don't think it aligns with Bell/TSN thinking and we ought to consider that.
    Not understanding why anyone would be pining for Rogers to air CFL. Their NHL coverage is god awful I don't need to see a panel with 4 Rod Blacks discussing 3 down ball. Ok, granted Randorf is there but am just not interested in seeing the sportsnet style of production. I'd be worried if TSN started shuffling off blue chip CFL content to other networks when they have very little blue chip content to air right now. Their reupping the CFL is good news and makes for a commited partnership.

Is anyone aware of the financials behind this extension?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Very disappointing.

LOL re Rod Black...each year I expect him to be replaced...oh well, too bad Jordan Rodgers, younger brother to Green Bay Packer qb Aaron Rodgers decided to retire....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    LOL re Rod Black...each year I expect him to be replaced...oh well, too bad Jordan Rodgers, younger brother to Green Bay Packer qb Aaron Rodgers decided to retire....
    Black still has Steve Tasker's son in the Hammer, Anthony Calvillo coaching in Montreal, Michael Sam story will keep him busy as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No one here loves Rogers, obviously, but I believe they would be quite happy to acquire a ratings-grabbing property like the CFL, and if they had even one game a week their coverage of the league would instantly morph into positive.

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Poor Rogers. "CFL isnt profitable" "Argos are worthless" "CFL doesnt move the needle" ...they tried so hard didnt they ?
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    We don't know the "genesis" of this extension and whether the league even considered approaching Rogers. That companies' attitude towards the Canadian Football League (seems to be virulent in Toronto more than anywhere else) makes it difficult to want to partner with such an organization. It would be kind of strange to say to them "let's buddy up on a TV deal" after their flagship radio show has been bashing the Argos and to an extent the league for so long.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Is it feasible that there was a clause in the original contract signed last year, that an extension was an option if the Argos ownership and playing location was secured? Let's face it, the GTA viewership is an important part of the deal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    We don't know the "genesis" of this extension and whether the league even considered approaching Rogers. That companies' attitude towards the Canadian Football League (seems to be virulent in Toronto more than anywhere else) makes it difficult to want to partner with such an organization. It would be kind of strange to say to them "let's buddy up on a TV deal" after their flagship radio show has been bashing the Argos and to an extent the league for so long.
    So now the league has pretty well guaranteed the Rogers hatred will continue for six more years. Seems kinda shortsighted to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    So now the league has pretty well guaranteed the Rogers hatred will continue for six more years. Seems kinda shortsighted to me.
    Seems like Rogers guaranteed that long before the league. And I just can't see Rogers devoting all four of their main channels to CFL games and bumping a bunch of Jays games to Sportsnet One or 360.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    This isn't just about what the league wants and it isn't just about hating Rogers. As a few people have pointed out TSN has very legitimate reasons to fear its content position is eroding relative to Sportsnet and that giving away part of its last marquee holding is a bad idea. I'm sure if the league had its way they'd be on every broadcaster in the country but right now they gotta dance with the guy that brung 'em. And that would be TSN.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Black still has Steve Tasker's son in the Hammer, Anthony Calvillo coaching in Montreal, Michael Sam story will keep him busy as well.
    Anybody know who the Chad Johnson of the CFL will be this year seeing as Chad Johnson won't be back?