Thread: Blake Sims

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Maybe they are just better pro QB's than Sims. You seem to think that big time SEC players are locks to be future stars in the league.

Funny how you conveniently forgot to defend your ripping apart of Harris in the pre season. He looked pretty damn good in his first start last year too, but you weren't so quick to compliment him the way you have Cato and Franklin. Probably because he didn't in play 1A div ball.
    I didn't "rip him apart". Harris looked mediocre in the pre-season game. Mediocre means not bad, not great. I'll stand by that.

Plus, Harris had 3 years of seasoning before his first start, I guess i'm the only guy who's surprised these raw rookies are coming in and looking good from the get-go.

Incidentally, Cato didn't play in the SEC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I didn't "rip him apart". Harris looked mediocre in the pre-season game. Mediocre means not bad, not great. I'll stand by that.

Plus, Harris had 3 years of seasoning before his first start, I guess i'm the only guy who's surprised these raw rookies are coming in and looking good from the get-go.

Incidentally, Cato didn't play in the SEC.

I specifically quoted you after the pre-season game. If you think calling out both his arm strength and leadership ability isn't ripping him, then you seriously have denial issues.

As for Cato, I know he didn't play in the SEC. That's why I said 1A Div.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I specifically quoted you after the pre-season game. If you think calling out both his arm strength and leadership ability isn't ripping him, then you seriously have denial issues.
    Harris looked mediocre in the pre-season game. I was disappointed he didn't shoot the lights out. And as we have seen, he still has trouble occasionally with the pass to the far sideline. But I love the guy, and i hope he is foolish enough to accept a $300,000 offer from the Argos instead of waiting for more as a FA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess i'm the only guy who's surprised these raw rookies are coming in and looking good from the get-go.
    I'm surprised as well, but I want to see more evidence before coming to any conclusions about things having changed to the point where untested rookies can excel from the get-go. Cato has had a couple of good performances; Franklin a good half. Let's see what they do over six or so games.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm surprised as well, but I want to see more evidence before coming to any conclusions about things having changed to the point where untested rookies can excel from the get-go. Cato has had a couple of good performances; Franklin a good half. Let's see what they do over six or so games.
    I remember when Jared Zabransky was supposed to be the next big thing and then didn't get invited by Kavis Reed to the mini camp in Florida and has disappeared since. Even Dunigan rated him highly.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Finally a voice of reason. Paul, I never made any conclusions about these guys, just observations of their success, and a suggestion they could turn into something good.

Cato's played five games now hasn't he? He's had some ups and downs but he keeps making great plays. Franklin only had a half, but he also tore it up in both pre-season games.

Here's my question. How many other 1st year rookie QBs have come up here and looked good in games right from the start? Was Printers a 1st year rookie when he started playing well? Gabe mentions Zabransky, but I don't think he looked as good as Cato. I guess maybe Bo Levi looked good as a rookie. And of course a young Ricky Ray back in Edmonton a couple of ice ages ago.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Good points. Jonathan Crompton looked pretty decent at first too. Even after 9 games, let alone six. Troy Smith also started well in his first season. Troy Smith then seemed to fall off a cliff, and Crompton appeared to decline rapidly as well to start 2015, then got hurt before he had a chance to rebound.

I believe the Montreal coaching staff said Crompton's starting job wasn't guaranteed when he returns from injury, so losing a job due to injury does happen. That said, Crompton isn't a future hall-of-famer like Ricky Ray.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here's my question. How many other 1st year rookie QBs have come up here and looked good in games right from the start? Was Printers a 1st year rookie when he started playing well?
    Printers was in his second season when he took the league by storm in 2004. The only raw rookie QBs that immediately come to mind that played at a high level in the CFL since 1980 are Sean Salisbury and Ricky Ray and Ray was much more impressive than Salisbury who rode a solid defence to a Grey Cup victory.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Printers was in his second season when he took the league by storm in 2004. The only raw rookie QBs that immediately come to mind that played at a high level in the CFL since 1980 are Sean Salisbury and Ricky Ray and Ray was much more impressive than Salisbury who rode a solid defence to a Grey Cup victory.
    Prior to that of course there was Joe Theismann and Chuck Ealey, both took their teams to the Grey Cup in their first year out of college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Cato's played five games now hasn't he? He's had some ups and downs but he keeps making great plays. Franklin only had a half, but he also tore it up in both pre-season games.
    To this point, Cato has only played in 3 games. And I agree he has looked very good. It also certainly helps that they have a great defence. There isn't a lot of pressure for him to put up 30 points in a game in order to win. As good as he's been , they've only scored 26, 23 and 17 points in his 3 games.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level