Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Too bad Jeremiah Johnson wasn't good enough for Barker and Milo!!!

Holy crap he's running wild. Well we've just stocked the rest of the teams with former Argos and coaches who are doing well while we fade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Milanovich likes his veteran guys, so not sure how much blame should be put on Barker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Johnson, when with the Argos could not run North South if his life depended on it. Looks good ever since he went to Ottawa though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Johnson, when with the Argos could not run North South if his life depended on it. Looks good ever since he went to Ottawa though.
    Yeah, I don't recall any fans complaining about his release a year ago. In fact, most fans were saying exactly what you have said above.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Johnson performed poorly with us, but like several other recent cuts he does seem to have gotten his groove back somewhere else. Are we too concerned with teaching players our "system" rather than adapting our system(s) to suit personnel?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Jeremiah Johnson wasn't great here, as wasn't Sinkfield who made what 7 catches for the Cats on Friday.

Great coaching this afternoon by Rick Campbell, somebody on here thought that he was the worst coach in the league, not at all, probably in the top 3. Campbell is smart enough to keep running the ball when he notices it working. Milanovich should take some pointers as there is no reason the Argos can't keep defenses guessing by sticking to some semblance of balanced attack using the run with Whitaker and Kackert. They are good ball carriers.

Case in point, Whitaker in the 2nd quarter Friday runs 7 yards to the left untouched on 1st down. Surely he could maybe pick up 3 more on 2nd down, maybe get within a yard of a first down and go short yardage on 3rd down. What does Milanovich call? a pass that gets tipped and falls incomplete...real shitty play calling if you ask me and predictable. The funny thing is the Montreal Alouettes have shown the league the Ticats weakness and that's defending the run, but Milanovich refused to exploit it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rick Campbell was an idiot for not going for two in the second half. Lucky for him the Lions had virtually nothing to offer, but a team with a pulse likely would have burned Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Johnson was very ordinary in Toronto, however the trend seems to be players go elsewhere and their level of play jumps substantially (Johnson, Sinkfield, Aston Whiteside and even incredibly Feoli Gudino).
    Is it scheme, poor organizational vibe or the realization that they need to up their games after being cut??

Don
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    All four players you cited were fairly early in their careers. They moved onto another team and their development progressed.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Such is the life in pro football. You only have so long to stand out, and if you don't you get released. Good on all of them for catching on somewhere else. Remember, Montreal had no use for Chad Owens at one point as well.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    What argofan87 said. We just give up on guys to easily and yet some we cut more slack then they should get. Some of our current db's. Hell as some have mentioned I talk like we're running a properly run professional team. I'd bet Barker has to try and work magic with a very limited budget thanks to Braley. Do we ever really know the behinds the scenes stuff. Perhaps Barker and Milo just don't put up with any crap at all. Might not be a talent thing with some of these guys. One frustrating year just flows into the next lately.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Rick Campbell was an idiot for not going for two in the second half. Lucky for him the Lions had virtually nothing to offer, but a team with a pulse likely would have burned Ottawa.
    And Milanovich hasn't made stupid idiotic calls, ha, what are you watching?...try remembering that home playoff loss in 2013 when he refused to decline a 2nd down penalty on an incomplete pass on 2nd and long and gave hamilton another 2nd down that they converted for a 1st down. They did get burned on that drive. Campbell has the foresight to adapt the gameplan accordingly to what is working. Milanovich has shown a pigheadedness that it can only be done one way and that a running attack is not necessary.

Those last few plays were awful on Friday...Harris throwing into double coverage on one play and then throwing into triple coverage into the endzone....that was brutal. Milanovich just had Harris loft the ball into the air into coverage ala' Tanner Marsh. You can't just make a timing pattern and have your QB throw into double and trouble coverage into the endzone and expect your receiver to come down with it...At least be smart enough to have as many of your receivers there if you're going to call that and that's a hail mary call when your 40-50 yds away from the goal line, not when you're in the red zone.

When your in the red zone, you have to call plays that require the ball getting to receivers quickly and thrown on a rope so it can arrive at your receivers in between defenders in a zone. You can't call on timing passes in the endzone that allow defenders time to intercept or knock them down as they did Friday. Those calls can only be done if a receiver is in man and the pass is put deep in the corner of the endzone, not as high a percentage call than a rope pass with a curl pattern in the end zone imo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Johnson was very ordinary in Toronto, however the trend seems to be players go elsewhere and their level of play jumps substantially (Johnson, Sinkfield, Aston Whiteside and even incredibly Feoli Gudino).
    Is it scheme, poor organizational vibe or the realization that they need to up their games after being cut??
    I thought they never gave Feoli-Gudino enough of a fair shot and that's a shame on the Argo organization and their Canadian scouting as he was one of the best CIS receivers on great winning teams at Laval. Being their best receiver on a team that won the Vanier Cup, you'd think the Argo management would've seen that he could be clutch...that tells you the respect they have for CIS ball, yet if he was a trouble maker from an NCAA 1A program, the attitude would've been, "let's see if we could get something from him as he obviously has the skill, but had some off-field issues," BS jargon. The only Canadian the Argos kept playing at receiver was the overated and inconsistent Spencer Watt, who will have a hard time seeing the field in Hamilton with their receiving depth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Feoli-Gudino has one or two decent games a year and yet some have to bemoan his loss anytime this happens. I wouldn't take him over any of the Argos' current receivers. He has the good fortune to play on the team with the worst Canadian talent in the league save for perhaps Saskatchewan.

I would actually take the fact that Argos cuts make it elsewhere in the league as a sign of the great recruiting that Barker does. And, in most cases, I don't know that the wrong decision has been made in releasing those players in the first place. Sometimes a release is what spurs that player on. The one guy I wish that we could have back is Whiteside but you can't keep everyone, especially under the Braley budget.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    As I tweeted on Friday, I doubt we'd have let Sinkfield and Jeremy Lewis go if we had Bob Young as our owner. Hamilton is able to keep upwards of 70 guys around. We have more this year than in the past but I still bet our "slush fund" budget is the smallest in the league.

Some guys get cut because they don't perform. Jeremiah Johnson was friggin' terrible for us last season. I wanted him cut. Who knew he'd go elsewhere and flourish? Didn't Feoli-Gudino leave as a free agent? Granted he did not play much offence with us so he may have left for a better opportunity elsewhere but I'd rather draft well (which we have done lately) than be left picking over others' NAT scraps, which is what Wpg has been doing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Johnson performed poorly with us, but like several other recent cuts he does seem to have gotten his groove back somewhere else. Are we too concerned with teaching players our "system" rather than adapting our system(s) to suit personnel?
    IMO it's Milo & Co. only keeping guys who fit the system instad of bringing in the best players available and adapting to their strengths. However, can't I disagree with most of the posters in this thread that Johnson didn't look to good when he was here. Although it does beg the question, why in the world is Josey still here, now there's a player that could not run between the tackles if his life depended on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Great coaching this afternoon by Rick Campbell, somebody on here thought that he was the worst coach in the league, not at all, probably in the top 3. Campbell is smart enough to keep running the ball when he notices it working. Milanovich should take some pointers as there is no reason the Argos can't keep defenses guessing by sticking to some semblance of balanced attack using the run with Whitaker and Kackert. They are good ball carriers.
    That was me and I still stand by what I said, Campbell makes some weird decisions, although O'Shea is looking like he's going to take over top spot and Tedford is closing in as well.
    I'm not a fan of Milanovich, so you won't here much disagreement from me on your analysis of him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    As I tweeted on Friday, I doubt we'd have let Sinkfield and Jeremy Lewis go if we had Bob Young as our owner. Hamilton is able to keep upwards of 70 guys around. We have more this year than in the past but I still bet our "slush fund" budget is the smallest in the league.

Some guys get cut because they don't perform. Jeremiah Johnson was friggin' terrible for us last season. I wanted him cut. Who knew he'd go elsewhere and flourish? Didn't Feoli-Gudino leave as a free agent? Granted he did not play much offence with us so he may have left for a better opportunity elsewhere but I'd rather draft well (which we have done lately) than be left picking over others' NAT scraps, which is what Wpg has been doing.
    Yes. Thanks for the life preserver Braley (though you've been richly rewarded), now goodbye aber nicht auf wiedersehen.

Sinkfield... you cannot cut a guy with his speed until there's been several solid strikes against him, with the coaching staff try, try, trying again. What a waste of what could have been a valuable Argonaut.

Let's give Jeremiah Johnson the rest of the season before concluding that he's flourished.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Feoli-Gudino has one or two decent games a year...
    He's been better than that, hasn't he (with lousy quarterbacking) ?

But one Canuck receiver I really wish was an Argonaut is Sinopoli. What a talented, rangy, athletic receiver! He very probably could have developed into a fine CFL QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    But one Canuck receiver I really wish was an Argonaut is Sinopoli. What a talented, rangy, athletic receiver! He very probably could have developed into a fine CFL QB.
    Every team in the league would love to have Sinopoli, easily the top Canuck receiver in the CFL and by wide margin I might add.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    He's been better than that, hasn't he (with lousy quarterbacking) ?

He would sadly never get an opportunity at QB.