Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    May I humbly suggest that we all not assume Cato is a star QB based on one performance? Marvin Graves, anyone?

Same goes for Harris, by the way. He was fantastic last week and I have a lot of faith in him continuing to develop into a starter and possibly even a star, but it is way too early to anoint him the man and to suggest that Ricky Ray (a proven star if ever there was one) be jettisoned at the earliest available opportunity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    May I humbly suggest that we all not assume Cato is a star QB based on one performance? Marvin Graves, anyone?

Same goes for Harris, by the way. He was fantastic last week and I have a lot of faith in him continuing to develop into a starter and possibly even a star, but it is way too early to anoint him the man and to suggest that Ricky Ray (a proven star if ever there was one) be jettisoned at the earliest available opportunity.
    Paul, suggest it all you want, but just don't expect it to happen in this instant gratification world.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Redblacks’ Burris laments lack of homegrown QBs

“Opposed to the hundreds of Americans who come up here, why not give a Canadian a chance?” asked Burris, following a walk-through for today’s game against the B.C. Lions at TD Place Stadium.
    “What’s the difference? These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out. So why not give a kid who understands and knows this game the same opportunity? If he has the tools, and adjusts to the speed of the game, he can play just as well as any American can.” ...
    Tell it to Brad Sinopoli. The Hec Crighton Trophy winner from the University of Ottawa was the Calgary Stampeders’ third-string quarterback in 2011, suiting up for all 18 games and demonstrating in practice what a talented athlete he is.
    “I thought he would have been a great quarterback,” said Burris, who began Sinopoli’s rookie year as the Stampeders’ starter. “He’s a student of the game, able to assess and transmit knowledge fast and know where the ball should be going. Plus, he’s fast as heck. Strong arm, great touch. He still thinks like a quarterback. When he says something to you, he breaks the play down just like a quarterback. Not many receivers can do that.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...340/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Redblacks’ Burris laments lack of homegrown QBs

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...340/story.html

Why would Henry say that Canadian QBs don't get the "same opportunity"? - Buckley, Yantz and Bridge got CFL shots this year and Bridge made the Als roster and got to play already.

Sinopoli looks very good as a possession receiver for Ottawa - showed it with the Stumps too - big target with good hands and hard to tackle - always seems to get a few YAC yards - real nice transition from QB to quality receiver. I guess he is way more valuable to them as a starting receiver than as a back-up QB; but still - I believe he could easily be their #2 QB there if given a real chance.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 07-04-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Why would Henry say that Canadian QBs don't get the "same opportunity"? - Buckley, Yantz and Bridge got CFL shots this year and Bridge made the Als roster and got to play already.
    He's talking historically, not just this year, as evidenced by the words "These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out."

and by his discussion of what happened to Sinopoli as a qb. I have the feeling he sees the same thing happening to Canadians that happened to Black qbs - there is an orientation toward believing they cannot do it, therefore they have to quickly show that they are better than the international recruits to overcome this unconscious bias.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    He's talking historically, not just this year, as evidenced by the words "These Americans — five or six of them — come up here every year and just don’t pan out."

and by his discussion of what happened to Sinopoli as a qb. I have the feeling he sees the same thing happening to Canadians that happened to Black qbs - there is an orientation toward believing they cannot do it, therefore they have to quickly show that they are better than the international recruits to overcome this unconscious bias.
    Yeah - I was joking or being facetious with that last post.

The NFL slowly, gradually overcame the bias/prejudiuce against black QBs; but that situation was based on something as noxious as racism. The CFL situtation (Bridge being the 1st Canadian QB to play a meaningful down in the CFL in almost 20 years) is IMO more deeply entrenched and accepted than the NFL situation was (very few black QBs played from say the 60s to into the early 80s, but the odd one did get some playing time = not 20 years). And there is no ugly racism behind the CFL current situation - just polite Canadians being told they aren't "good enough"; and very little public outcry about the situation - the odd media comment (but mostly obedient acceptance from CFL "reporters" as seen in comments by the likes of that clown Naylor), and the discussion comes up on the various CFL fan forums every year - with the same cliched responses. Don\t see the CFL situation changing anytime soon = same old / same old - who knows, who cares.