Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Barker and Milanovich Sign Three Year Contract Extension

Good news. One article also mentioned that Barker now has the mandate to sign Ray to another contract.

Let's hope this does not occur. Due to aging and given injuries, it's quite necessary to complete the turning of the page at QB and apply any resultant surplus in $ elsewhere.

The Als' enduring woes provide a textbook case of the problem with the superannuated quarterback, not to mention the futility all 'round of leaving Harris and the other young guns holstered for another couple of years.
    Last edited by Argo; 06-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The Als' "enduring woes"? Did they not fall just short of making the Grey Cup last season?

I'll take whatever QB gives us best chance to win the next few seasons. If it's RR, I am good with that. Hard to believe it won't be RR if he is healthy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't know why anyone would be against a Ray re-signing. If it is ever determined he has lost it, you cut him. All you may lose is a signing bonus.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no axe to grind, and this is not a torch I intend to carry aloft with further posting (which would be redundant and become tedious). Now, it's certainly possible to argue against my position, nevertheless it does consider negative aspects going forward that should be considered.

If the team can win with Harris, then Ray represents an older QB, a higher salary, and in point of fact, an impediment to the career development of younger QBs that the team has invested in (one of whom is already playing quite well elsewhere).

If the team can win with Harris, then Harris is sufficient and Ray is not necessary. There are constraints on money and roster, after all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Good move by TanenBELL to lock these guys up now. While I'm still not completely sold on Milanovich, I can't knock how loyal he's been to the Argonauts. Barker IMO is one of the better gms in the CFL, not quite Huff level, but a solid GM who has an eye for talent. New ownership throwing it's weight around already should be considered a good sign.

Any word on if Lastman will be the guy managing the franchise ? I know he's the Alt Governor, but he seems to be pretty involved with the team so far. Ex. spoke to the team first day of training camp and has been quoted a few times in some articles the past couple of months.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Two ways to view this.

1. If the new owners signed off on this ... then we don't need to worry about any gutting.

2. If the new owners had no input into this. Then it's Braley rewarding the loyalty of Barker and Milo by guaranteeing them money.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    GREAT move and now we finally have stability and the ability to grow this team already.

Ray should be signed and if he starts to slow he could be a great help as a backup. I'm not ready to call Ray a backup. He has plenty of game left if his shoulder heals well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Barker: I'm excited as can be about our future
    http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/111525

Milanovich: I'm excited to be apart of this
    http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/111531

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great news on both fronts, both guys have performed admirably under trying circumstances without complaint and should be rewarded as such.
    I already like the direction this franchise is taking since the ownership announcement!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Two ways to view this.

1. If the new owners signed off on this ... then we don't need to worry about any gutting.

2. If the new owners had no input into this. Then it's Braley rewarding the loyalty of Barker and Milo by guaranteeing them money.
    All of the media reports I have seen indicate that it is the new ownership that has signed off on this.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    All of the media reports I have seen indicate that it is the new ownership that has signed off on this.
    I'm sure they would have to sign off on this one as the extension will take effect at or around the time of transition.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    When you consider the tidal wave of anxiety that has dominated the Argonaut scene for so long, where everything seemed to be hanging in the balance, it would appear we have come full circle with this announcement: along with committed, sustainable ownership, as well as a suitable venue, we have secured competent management and coaching with a proven track record. A far cry from the uncertainty of just a few short months ago! Notwithstanding the emerging debate about who will quarterback the team in the near future (which merits its own thread) I can only feel a sense of gratitude that this precious organization will continue not only to survive, but also to thrive perhaps in ways we never could have imagined.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I have no axe to grind, and this is not a torch I intend to carry aloft with further posting (which would be redundant and become tedious). Now, it's certainly possible to argue against my position, nevertheless it does consider negative aspects going forward that should be considered.

If the team can win with Harris, then Ray represents an older QB, a higher salary, and in point of fact, an impediment to the career development of younger QBs that the team has invested in (one of whom is already playing quite well elsewhere).

If the team can win with Harris, then Harris is sufficient and Ray is not necessary. There are constraints on money and roster, after all.

I agree with you.
    A 36 year old QB with a litany of injuries the last few years plus diminishing skills is not a recepy for a long term cpontrct.
    If I had it my way (que the regular naysayers on this board) I would have traded RR a few years back and would have gone with Zack and Harris as the future.
    Look what happened with the RedBlacks as they have gone with Henry whose best before date has long passed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I agree with you.
    A 36 year old QB with a litany of injuries the last few years plus diminishing skills is not a recepy for a long term cpontrct.
    If I had it my way (que the regular naysayers on this board) I would have traded RR a few years back and would have gone with Zack and Harris as the future.
    Look what happened with the RedBlacks as they have gone with Henry whose best before date has long passed.
    Yeah...and the Argos really struggled in 2004 and 2005 with a 40+ year old Damon Allen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Yeah...and the Argos really struggled in 2004 and 2005 with a 40+ year old Damon Allen.
    Hopefully Ray returns at his previous level, the big question is how much salary will he command and what is the teams salary threshold for him.
    Ray seems like an honest guy who would be forthright with Barker and Milanovich as to how he feels and what he can contribute.
    Looking (hopefully far enough down the road) Ray is the type of guy you would hope to see as a coach and or mentor for our up and coming QB's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It really is quite remarkable how some people are ready to ditch arguably the best player in the league due to an injury. Calvillo was still damn good at 39. I think RR still has a lot left in the tank assuming his shoulder heals.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    It really is quite remarkable how some people are ready to ditch arguably the best player in the league due to an injury. Calvillo was still damn good at 39. I think RR still has a lot left in the tank assuming his shoulder heals.
    Surely the Argonauts will afford Ray every opportunity to return at his previous level but the last part of your statement is key "assuming his shoulder heals" which is far from a sure thing given the pounding these guys take on a regular basis.
    No doubt the organization would love him around for another 2-3 years but given the events of the last couple of seasons it would be foolhardy to ignore the facts and simply hope he returns as before.
    I say keep looking to upgrade our young QB pipeline as if he won't be back and if he does return even close to the previous level then it is a huge bonus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Two ways to view this.

According to Jim Barker, the deals were done with the new ownership group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    According to Jim Barker, the deals were done with the new ownership group.
    There goes Ron's feel good Braley story.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    I don't recall AC having shoulder problems during his last few years, concussions yes.
    Either way, at such an age and well passed the best before date a team that gambles with aging QB's is only one hit away from disaster.
    In addition and here is the key, going with the status quo prevents teams from turning the page and developing youth.