Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Bridge cetainly has a strong arm..very impressive. I really think the Als need to bring him along slowly, or he is going to throw a lot of picks. Had 1 and another called back because of a IMO very questionable RTP penalty. Als offence is going to be horrible this season. I don't think they should just throw him to the Lions and kill his confidence.
    Given the Als QB situation - let's assume Crompton is either on the shelf due to injury or that he returns and still fails to play well - I'm for giving Bridge all the experience he can handle, perhaps simplifying the offence, at least initially. The Als' rather good running game can be a solid support. If Bridge isn't up to the task at the start of his playing career, there's no cause for blame or psychological damage as long as the situation is stated explicitly by the coaching staff, but then Marsh could be plugged in, I suppose.

I think Higgins and Co. have overestimated the ability of their receiving corp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Agreed. With the exception of Green, the rest are not what they once were. I really thought Giguere looked very good in Hamilton when Fantuz was hurt last year. Either teams haven't figured out how to use him, or he just can't live up to his potential.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not sure Stamps will ever regain his old form. I have no doubt Lewis can provide great leadership and blocking, but can he still produce 7+ catches for 100+ yards every second or third game?

Then again, no one thought the Als would bounce back from 1-7 last season, so I'm not writing them off after only one game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Given the Als QB situation - let's assume Crompton is either on the shelf due to injury or that he returns and still fails to play well - I'm for giving Bridge all the experience he can handle, perhaps simplifying the offence, at least initially. The Als' rather good running game can be a solid support. If Bridge isn't up to the task at the start of his playing career, there's no cause for blame or psychological damage as long as the situation is stated explicitly by the coaching staff, but then Marsh could be plugged in, I suppose.

As others have stated, I concur that throwing Bridge to the lions would not be all that wise. Starting him, pulling him, and basically yo-yoing him around would not be a good idea (what is he, 22? 23?).

Harris held a clipboard for the first roughly 60 games of his career (including postseason and preseason) before being "the man."

Now it seems Bridge may have a week to prepare for arguably the best team in the league in his first start as a rookie and 2nd CFL game. I wish him luck, but that isn't a recipe for success.

If I'm Higgins, I go with Crompton unless he is absolutely terrible (which he arguably was last week).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Crompton may be on the 6 game so ..... Bridge and Cato it is .... unless there is a Glenn doppelganger

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 7h7 hours ago

I'm told #Als have put starting QB Jonathan Crompton on 6-game injured list. Obviously, this is more serious than team led us to believe.
    40 retweets 3 favorites

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I'm not sure Stamps will ever regain his old form. I have no doubt Lewis can provide great leadership and blocking, but can he still produce 7+ catches for 100+ yards every second or third game?

Then again, no one thought the Als would bounce back from 1-7 last season, so I'm not writing them off after only one game.
    Apparently you are more optimistic than MMQB on CFl.ca. MMQB seems to believe that the Als and the RedBlacks are no longer even in the CFL. MMQB had in-depth coverage of the three games in the west, with featured coverage of QB injuries and performances. They did not even mention that Ottawa and Montreal played a game. The CFL.ca site is a disgrace and should be cleaned up immediately. Their game time coverage is totally laughable. Take a look at it sometime - you can't tell the score, the time of the game, who has the ball, etc l -- it's information is usually in total conflict with both the updated scoreboard and any written updates. As an embarrassment to the CFl, it even outdoes the referees.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    Apparently you are more optimistic than MMQB on CFl.ca. MMQB seems to believe that the Als and the RedBlacks are no longer even in the CFL. MMQB had in-depth coverage of the three games in the west, with featured coverage of QB injuries and performances. They did not even mention that Ottawa and Montreal played a game. The CFL.ca site is a disgrace and should be cleaned up immediately. Their game time coverage is totally laughable. Take a look at it sometime - you can't tell the score, the time of the game, who has the ball, etc l -- it's information is usually in total conflict with both the updated scoreboard and any written updates. As an embarrassment to the CFl, it even outdoes the referees.
    They are supposed to be introducing a redesigned site with updated scores and stats in the fall. Orridge realizes how important this all is, especially as he works to attract that coveted younger demographic.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    They are supposed to be introducing a redesigned site with updated scores and stats in the fall. Orridge realizes how important this all is, especially as he works to attract that coveted younger demographic.
    While they're at it, they must make the site mobile-friendly (automatically displays correctly on any device) and, it really goes without saying, eliminate all use of Flash.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the video accompanying the following article, Higgins predicts that it is only a matter of time before a CIS quarterback makes it in the CFL with the experience they are gaining in training camp.

Canadian quarterback Brandon Bridge expects to see more action for the Montreal Alouettes this week.
    Bridge and fellow rookie Rakeem Cato split the work in practice on Monday as the Alouettes began preparations to meet the Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders without their top three quarterbacks, who are all injured.
    "Right now it's day to day and my gut tells me we better prepare with our two young quarterbacks," said coach Tom Higgins."

http://www.tsn.ca/als-qb-bridge-to-s...ction-1.321456

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A pretty good story on Bridge from TSN.ca. OV won't like some comments about the NCAA QB's getting better coaching then CIS QB's (from both Bridge and Higgins), or the fact that Mark-O Brouillette compared the competition an NCAA QB sees compared to CIS being higher (and he played QB in the CIS). but a pretty good piece none the less.

I really hope he has success.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    As others have stated, I concur that throwing Bridge to the lions would not be all that wise. Starting him, pulling him, and basically yo-yoing him around would not be a good idea (what is he, 22? 23?).

Harris held a clipboard for the first roughly 60 games of his career (including postseason and preseason) before being "the man."

Now it seems Bridge may have a week to prepare for arguably the best team in the league in his first start as a rookie and 2nd CFL game. I wish him luck, but that isn't a recipe for success.

If I'm Higgins, I go with Crompton unless he is absolutely terrible (which he arguably was last week).
    I agree that it may not be wise but the Als may not have much choice for this game at least. If they bring in a more experienced qb to be the first stringer, take the pressure off Bridge and coach him, then one game will not likely wreck him, no matter the outcome. If one game does it, he does not have mental toughness to survive the ups and downs of pro football.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    OV won't like some comments about the NCAA QB's getting better coaching then CIS QB's (from both Bridge and Higgins)
    That isn't really a controversial statement, is it? Of course programs with a lot of money and big (well paid) staffs generally offer better coaching!

Isn't the interesting question whether the QB talent level is substantially lower in the CIS vs. NCAA div I, and whether familiarity with CFL rules might mitigate such an effect? That's what I've always thought.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Would Bridge have played much Canadian football before this? Did he play Canadian-rules in high school? The sense that I get from Higgins is that Bridge and Cato are pretty close. Cato had much more success at the college level but Bridge is at least as good of a pro prospect. It sounds like we will see both of them tomorrow night.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Would Bridge have played much Canadian football before this? Did he play Canadian-rules in high school? The sense that I get from Higgins is that Bridge and Cato are pretty close. Cato had much more success at the college level but Bridge is at least as good of a pro prospect. It sounds like we will see both of them tomorrow night.
    The biggest reason for the shortage of Canadian pivots in the NFL isn’t talent, says Bridge. It’s convincing coaches and scouts that Canadians can adapt to the different rules and different sized fields.

“You’re playing two different games (in Canada and the U.S.). It’s like apples and oranges. That’s the knock on Canadian quarterbacks, but I want to show U.S. schools that Canadian quarterbacks can definitely play with the rules and understanding this will definitely help (other Canadian quarterbacks) in the recruiting process,” said Bridge.

Getting noticed when you’re north of the border is the first step. On field success and a highlight reel package posted on YouTube by his brother Antoine helped. He also got plenty of support from his parents Colin and Suzanne, who combed through the NCAA’s website, looking for contact information for coaches at top schools.

Bridge was a standout at St. Marcellinus High School in Mississauga, where he was elevated to the senior team after only one season on the junior squad, and led the school to back-to-back championships in Peel Region.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/footba...et_on_nfl.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    That isn't really a controversial statement, is it? Of course programs with a lot of money and big (well paid) staffs generally offer better coaching!

Isn't the interesting question whether the QB talent level is substantially lower in the CIS vs. NCAA div I, and whether familiarity with CFL rules might mitigate such an effect? That's what I've always thought.
    I think the basics (arm strength, accuracy and athleticism) are around the same. The coaching is also huge, but I still believe the biggest advantage they have is facing faster defenders on a regular basis. There just aren't a lot of CIS db's running under 4.8 in the forty. It is a bigger adjustment for a CIS trained QB compared to an NCAA QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Seems as though both Cato and Bridge will play against the Stamps with Bridge getting the "start". I will be shocked if Higgins is still the Head coach of the Als next season, I really don't understand his obsession with platooning qb's. Pick one and let him develop, if he's crap sit him and next man up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A pretty good story on Bridge from TSN.ca. ... I really hope he has success.
    Bridge should be able to hold up his end of the deal if his O Line manages at least a draw; that is something less likely than a coin toss, unfortunately for 'Air Canada'. But hope springs eternal...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    (Insert pejorative adjective here) HC Higgins may actually start Cato:
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...more-than-ever

Nothing against Cato, he's an interesting prospect, but if Bridge doesn't start... um...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Brandon Bridge has the opportunity to become the first Canadian-born quarterback to start for a CFL team since Giulio Caravatta did so for the B.C. Lions in 1996. At the time, Bridge was all of four so can be forgiven for not realizing the significance. “I think at four years old … I was starting kindergarten; my mom put me in French immersion so I was learning French at that time,” related the personable Montreal Alouette. “My mom thought that when I became an adult, to get a job, you have to know French and English. That was their whole mindset; they wanted me to learn two languages and that’s the best thing that ever happened to me.” It’s not certain if Mrs. Bridge had a crystal ball in her possession, but here is young Brandon trying to win the starting job with the Als in la belle province.
    With injuries to both Jonathan Crompton and Dan LeFevour in the first week of 2015, Montreal head coach Tom Higgins was coy on Thursday as to which neophyte he would give the controls to — Bridge or Rakeem Cato — but the former is ready if called upon. ...
    “I learned that I can actually play this game,” the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder said of his first CFL appearance. “I thought I was thrown into the fire but I handled myself pretty well.”
    Cato, out of Marshall, is also 23. “Tomorrow or next year … I’m going to be ready when my number is called,” said Cato. “Right now my number’s called. Both me and Brandon have a great sense about how the game should be played by decision-making. If we take care of the ball and make great decisions, everything will be OK.”
    The team knows which player is starting, but Higgins wasn’t showing his cards. “In our minds we have it figured out,” Higgins said. “We were just lamenting the experience we have; we have 37 plays of experience with our two quarterbacks. I think both have an extreme amount of confidence. That’s a blessing and a curse when it comes to being a quarterback and being young because they think they might be able to throw the football anywhere they think they can. “I’m very pleased that you don’t know who the starting quarterback is but flip a coin and know both will be playing.”

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...n-quarterbacks

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    (Insert pejorative adjective here) HC Higgins may actually start Cato:
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...more-than-ever