Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't think that starting Cato would be some unforgivable sin. The reality is that Cato was a far more successful college QB than Bridge was and that they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    (Insert pejorative adjective here) HC Higgins may actually start Cato:
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...more-than-ever

Nothing against Cato, he's an interesting prospect, but if Bridge doesn't start... um...
    You'd be shocked or surprised that Bridge does not get the start ? - Popp & Higgins are classic good ole boys, and of course they will go with "the best player" = not on their watch would they start one of dem NIs at QB in their radical league ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    You'd be shocked or surprised that Bridge does not get the start ? - Popp & Higgins are classic good ole boys, and of course they will go with "the best player" = not on their watch would they start one of dem NIs at QB in their radical league ? ;o)
    I agree, but I was still hoping.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Looks like the absolute right decision thus far.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Pro coaches ALWAYS make the right decisions - that is their job and it's not for couch potatoes like us to dare question them.

Cato looking excellent - poised and accurate - helped by a good ground game and mostly short, safe throws = smart offence; and the Stumps look useless - out partying in old Montreal last night ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pro coaches ALWAYS make the right decisions - that is their job and it's not for couch potatoes like us to dare question them.

Cato looking excellent - poised and accurate - helped by a good ground game and mostly short, safe throws = smart offence; and the Stumps look useless - out partying in old Montreal last night ?
    Agreed, but I don't think Bridge could have had success with this game plan. Just not accurate enough.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It will be interesting to see if the Als maintain or increase their 22 point lead whether Higgins gives Bridge some playing time near the end of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the Als maintain or increase their 22 point lead whether Higgins gives Bridge some playing time near the end of the game.
    The game was still fairly close, so, no.

Be real interesting to see if Cato remains the starter when Crompton & or Marsh return - have to think so after that performance = one of the best raw rookie 1st CFL starts at QB ever?

My guess is Bridge goes to the PR when Crompton & Marsh return; and probably never plays in the CFL again - did get that one game playing time however.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It's interesting that even with 32 seconds left and an 18 point lead, Higgins did not put Bridge in to kill the clock.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    It's interesting that even with 32 seconds left and an 18 point lead, Higgins did not put Bridge in to kill the clock.
    Why would he? Would having Bridge kneel down be that significant?

And, OV, don't you often talk about how CFL managers and coaches should be looking at a player's success at the college level when evaluating their fitness as a pro? If we go by that criteria, Cato absolutely should have gotten the start tonight over Bridge.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm just glad that no QBs were injured in this game. Good for Cato - Montreal may have just found their new #1 guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Well, it certainly wasn't the wrong one, and virtually the entire team played well. The OC proved his worth too. We'll never know how Bridge would have fared if he had started.

But one thing safe to assume is that Crompton just lost his starting job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed, but I don't think Bridge could have had success with this game plan. Just not accurate enough.
    That is the question.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Why would he? Would having Bridge kneel down be that significant?

And, OV, don't you often talk about how CFL managers and coaches should be looking at a player's success at the college level when evaluating their fitness as a pro? If we go by that criteria, Cato absolutely should have gotten the start tonight over Bridge.

Sure I do Ravi; and if CFL teams were really interested in winning, great stats college ball QBs, some of them should have been all over Vanier winning QB Gabe Cousineau who passed for over 70% completion rate last year in leading a team to a national title; but - he was not drafted or in a CFL TC to "compete" with the likes of Cato or all the Brian Brohms' out there; but wait - surely you mean success at the American college level?; and as AV says, you can't expect lowly CIS players to compete against Americans who played against higher competition in NCAA ball; Fantuz or Durie or Henoc Muamba or Brent Jones or Craig Butler or Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel can't be expected to play in the CFL cause they faced slow, inferior talent in college ball - can you imagine Fantuz getting to compete against Mo Mann or Dropsem' Collins level NCAA trained talent ? IF the Ottawa team was serious about developing a young QB behind Burris then Sinopoli should "absoultely" be the #2 QB there instead of the stiffs they have in place. And Trevor Harris has no business starting for the Argos - a Div II QB ??? - surely there are some QBs with better Div I resumes out there to assume should be starting ?

Keep up your CFL gob defender of the faith routine Ravi = absolutely predictable ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think that starting Cato would be some unforgivable sin. The reality is that Cato was a far more successful college QB than Bridge was and that they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.
    It just seemed a tad more inevitable that game 1's finisher would be game 2's starter, because: that was the order-to-date; starting a Canadian QB is an interesting story-line and might sell tickets if things worked out; they were supposed to alternate as the third stringers this year anyway.

Like I said in previous posts, Cato has faced adversity and thrived, and he's an intriguing prospect. In his first start he seemed positively Flutie-like, although not as athletically gifted as Doug.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Sure I do Ravi; and if CFL teams were really interested in winning, great stats college ball QBs, some of them should have been all over Vanier winning QB Gabe Cousineau who passed for over 70% completion rate last year in leading a team to a national title; but - he was not drafted or in a CFL TC to "compete" with the likes of Cato or all the Brian Brohms' out there; but wait - surely you mean success at the American college level?; and as AV says, you can't expect lowly CIS players to compete against Americans who played against higher competition in NCAA ball; Fantuz or Durie or Henoc Muamba or Brent Jones or Craig Butler or Ricky Foley or Jermaine Gabriel can't be expected to play in the CFL cause they faced slow, inferior talent in college ball - can you imagine Fantuz getting to compete against Mo Mann or Dropsem' Collins level NCAA trained talent ? IF the Ottawa team was serious about developing a young QB behind Burris then Sinopoli should "absoultely" be the #2 QB there instead of the stiffs they have in place. And Trevor Harris has no business starting for the Argos - a Div II QB ??? - surely there are some QBs with better Div I resumes out there to assume should be starting ?

Keep up your CFL gob defender of the faith routine Ravi = absolutely predictable ;o)
    As I said over on the other thread, I am comparing NCAA performance to NCAA performance when I am comparing Cato with Bridge. Also, just because Cato excelled in his first start tonight, it doesn't mean that Bridge's career is over. Cato having success and Bridge possibly having success in the future aren't mutually exclusive. It may simply be the case right now that Cato is more pro-ready than Bridge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As I said over on the other thread, I am comparing NCAA performance to NCAA performance when I am comparing Cato with Bridge. Also, just because Cato excelled in his first start tonight, it doesn't mean that Bridge's career is over. Cato having success and Bridge possibly having success in the future aren't mutually exclusive. It may simply be the case right now that Cato is more pro-ready than Bridge.
    So I guess you would pre- rate Mo Mann or Dropsem`Collins types as far better pro receivers than Andy Fantuz or Andre Durie ? - just going by NCAA performance? How did Cato fare in the NFL draft or getting a try-out there? You ever see Cousineau play QB or just don't want to go there ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So I guess you would pre- rate Mo Mann or Dropsem`Collins types as far better pro receivers than Andy Fantuz or Andre Durie ? - just going by NCAA performance? How did Cato fare in the NFL draft or getting a try-out there? You ever see Cousineau play QB or just don't want to go there ?
    I have no idea where you are going with any of this at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    OV .... Cousineau doesn't seem to have interest in playing football at this time in the CFL. He declined the combine and the invitation to the ALS camps. You should give up on trying to put a neglected label on him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have no idea where you are going with any of this at this point.

Yes - I can see that.