Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post

Adrian McPherson was okay backing up Calvillo for five years (age 25-29) with little if any chance of starting.
    And it pretty much ruined his career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Sure, the jury's still out on Harris. He may still lay an egg or two in the next few games. BUT, if he maintains a level of play anywhere near his first game, then surely it's an open and shut case.
    Yeah, open-and-shut they'll put Ray back in when he's healthy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah, open-and-shut they'll put Ray back in when he's healthy.
    So you would sign Ricky next year if he's 100% healthy and let Harris walk?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And it pretty much ruined his career.
    I still see him making teams and getting paid.

So you would sign Ricky next year if he's 100% healthy and let Harris walk?
    Who says Harris is walking?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I still see him making teams and getting paid.
    Yes, he established himself as career backup, but things might have been a lot different for him if he left Montreal earlier. You gotta believe his experience is in the back of Trevor Harris' mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, he established himself as career backup, but things might have been a lot different for him if he left Montreal earlier. You gotta believe his experience is in the back of Trevor Harris' mind.
    More likely that no one had any interest in McPherson as a potential starter. He didn't exactly impress much during the few games he started.

I bet Harris has devoted exactly zero seconds of thought to McPherson's experience.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

I bet Harris has devoted exactly zero seconds of thought to McPherson's experience.
    You're on. What's the bet?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Sure, the jury's still out on Harris. He may still lay an egg or two in the next few games. BUT, if he maintains a level of play anywhere near his first game, then surely it's an open and shut case.
    Ok. If he completes 90% of his passes week after week, with two or three TDs and no INTs, I guess it will be open and shut. But he won't do that, unfortunately. I believe he is capable of playing like an all-star and will show it in the wks to come, but that belief is based on a small bit of evidence as well as intuition. I also believe RR is more than capable of playing like an all-star, and that's based on years of evidence. Regardless it's nice to have such a problem, especially in a league where half the teams are missing their starting QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ok. If he completes 90% of his passes week after week, with two or three TDs and no INTs, I guess it will be open and shut. But he won't do that, unfortunately. I believe he is capable of playing like an all-star and will show it in the wks to come, but that belief is based on a small bit of evidence as well as intuition. I also believe RR is more than capable of playing like an all-star, and that's based on years of evidence. Regardless it's nice to have such a problem, especially in a league where half the teams are missing their starting QB.
    This is a great opportunity for Harris to gain some much needed playing time and for the Argonauts to finally see what they have with this guy.
    Watch the posted game ball clip, Harris takes the ball and immediately want to give it to the O-Line, seems like a humble team first guy....love that!!
    When Ray returns he will play but if Harris continues to play consistently well it bodes well for the Argonauts future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    He may be a team first player, but he's not a fool. At 29 you don't turn down an opportunity for starters money in professional football.
    If he proves to be valuable, he can get 200k to be a premier back-up. If he were to leave, I couldn't see him getting ore than 250k, until he proves he can be an 18 game starter. I think he'd stay in Toronto, even as Ray's back up.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If he proves to be valuable, he can get 200k to be a premier back-up. If he were to leave, I couldn't see him getting ore than 250k, until he proves he can be an 18 game starter. I think he'd stay in Toronto, even as Ray's back up.
    I also can't see the Argonauts letting another blue chip QB prospect get away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I also can't see the Argonauts letting another blue chip QB prospect get away.
    They won't. They'll give comparable starter's money to be the 2nd string. If Ray comes back healthy and is lights out, there is no way they dump him...no matter how good Harris is.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You're living in a dreamland. Every QB on the planet wants to be a starter somewhere. If he continues to play well while Ricky is hurt, there will be another team that will offer him a significant raise to be a starter next year. And he'd be a fool not to take it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I doubt it. Drew Tate as an example of wanting to be a backup for decent money is rare. At 29, Harris isn't getting younger. He proves himself between now and contract time and I bet he's on his way out.

Fans have stated here that examples of McPherson and Tate. What about Reilly (BC to Edmonton), Willy (Riders to Winnipeg), and last but not least: Collaros (Toronto to the Hammer)?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Fans have stated here that examples of McPherson and Tate. What about Reilly (BC to Edmonton), Willy (Riders to Winnipeg), and last but not least: Collaros (Toronto to the Hammer)?
    .......leave your hands off Harris Fumbilitis!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    .......leave your hands off Harris Fumbilitis!
    Hey you're telling the wrong guy! Tell your friendly neighbourhood REDBLACK fan that. . Besides I'm happy with Brett Smith thanks to Argo nation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You're living in a dreamland. Every QB on the planet wants to be a starter somewhere. If he continues to play well while Ricky is hurt, there will be another team that will offer him a significant raise to be a starter next year. And he'd be a fool not to take it.
    If after taking everything into consideration management decides to let him go, then he'll leave and life will go on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    If after taking everything into consideration management decides to let him go, then he'll leave and life will go on.
    Don't see it happening this time, if Harris consistently plays at a high level the Argonauts will sign him.
    Ray isn't getting any younger and coming off major surgery who knows how much he has left, can't see Ray getting anywhere close to the same contract he currently enjoys.
    What I can see happening moving forward is Toronto using a 2 quarterback system to try and extend Ray's career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don't see it happening this time, if Harris consistently plays at a high level the Argonauts will sign him.
    Ray isn't getting any younger and coming off major surgery who knows how much he has left, can't see Ray getting anywhere close to the same contract he currently enjoys.
    What I can see happening moving forward is Toronto using a 2 quarterback system to try and extend Ray's career.
    I suspect that the fact that Collaros recently moved on is significant to JB and SM: conspiring to lose in succession two curated-here, high-quality, relatively young QBs, is likely intolerable.

Assuming Harris continues to play superbly and Ray doesn't return for at least 3 more games:
    1. JB and SM cross the tipping point and either the QBs effectively trade places on the depth chart or Ray is traded at a terrific premium (conditions in the league would seem to be optimum).
    2. Or, Ray starts again, Harris sits, with the understanding there shall be open competition for the starting job in training camp.
    3. Or, Argo57 is correct, and a genuine two-quarterback system is in play.

For various reasons, I think (1) would be more likely than the alternatives.

If you take another look at Barker's interviews this season, you may notice a (rather telling?) remark on the subject made by Barker.

In any case, development of this intriguing plot is just one more reason to cheer for Harris to continue his lights-out play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I wouldn't set the bar so high for Harris. If he protects the ball well and delivers a majority of wins, that would be good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    You have to remember Angelo's judgement is clouded by his raging Ricky Ray man-crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I suspect that the fact that Collaros recently moved on is significant to JB and SM: conspiring to lose in succession two curated-here, high-quality, relatively young QBs, is likely intolerable.

Assuming Harris continues to play superbly and Ray doesn't return for at least 3 more games:
    1. JB and SM cross the tipping point and either the QBs effectively trade places on the depth chart or Ray is traded at a terrific premium (conditions in the league would seem to be optimum).
    I can't imagine Harris starting ahead of a healthy Ricky. Not this season anyway. And if they're going trade Ricky to Edmonton or Saskatchewan for a huge premium later this year, they need to showcase him healthy and playing well.