Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    As for Wright, some may recall that he started the season with us on the PR but was released when Chris Bauman was added. At that time we were using him (or considering using him) as a DE, but Wright was actually a LB in college, so who knows what we have in mind for him this time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Woah. But I guess it makes sense since they likely would not release McPherson when RR gets activated. I liked Gale a lot in last year's ex game at Varsity, and he looked pretty good this year as well. But Kilgore may have more upside.
    Flabbergasted ! All year I had the feeling that something wasn't right in Gale's position with the Argos. I know he had a poor start to camp, but he has done all asked of him and looked good doing it for more than 2 years. The handwriting was really on the wall when Argos signed McPherson, who has done nothing in the CFL, and made him the short yardage QB. That one left me shaking my head and still does, when you compare last year's short yardage results to this year.
    A few years back, I had college scouted Collaros and Gale ( and Harris a tiny bit), and of the three, Gale had the best overall upside. He has been patient, and never really got a chance.
    I can only presume the Argos are stuck with paying McPherson, someone may have wanted Kilgore off the PR, and cutting Gale was the Braley ( cheapest option) expedient. Perhaps. McPherson's contract is less than Gales'
    I hope Gale gets a good chance elsewhere, but it's a tough time of the year to be on the outside. I think he deserves more for his loyalty, and I feel quite sure that he can be an above average starter in the CFL, given the chance.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I think there's another possibility here. Kilgore and his agent may have insisted he get at least half a season's worth of game cheques, which he'll get on the 46 and on IR. They may have made clear that the team had half a season of practice roster time to evaluate him. If Kilgore has bigger upside than Gale, which certainly seems possible, this move may have been planned all along.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think there's another possibility here. Kilgore and his agent may have insisted he get at least half a season's worth of game cheques, which he'll get on the 46 and on IR. They may have made clear that the team had half a season of practice roster time to evaluate him. If Kilgore has bigger upside than Gale, which certainly seems possible, this move may have been planned all along.
    Ricky being activated somewhat changes my view of the situation, and we'll need to wait until the weekend to see if Kilgore comes up to the roster. Otherwise we are one hit and an untested shoulder away from McPherson being our starting and only cfl experienced QB.
    Son't know if Gale's situation was "planned all along" -- who knows - we probably never will -- could have been planned, a football decision, financial or personality.
    I got curious about Kilgore and searched him out in last year's files - poorly rated ( #19 FA QB compared to Smith at #2 FA QB) but that's NFL. Sounds like a RR clone. "good reads, good checkdown, quick release, poor pocket mobility, poor deep pass,very catchable ball, high accuracy short/medium, too much airtime on short/medium passes, considered not durable as a pocket passer, quiet leadership" - maybe he's another RR in the rough.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    Ricky being activated somewhat changes my view of the situation, and we'll need to wait until the weekend to see if Kilgore comes up to the roster. Otherwise we are one hit and an untested shoulder away from McPherson being our starting and only cfl experienced QB.
    Son't know if Gale's situation was "planned all along" -- who knows - we probably never will -- could have been planned, a football decision, financial or personality.
    I got curious about Kilgore and searched him out in last year's files - poorly rated ( #19 FA QB compared to Smith at #2 FA QB) but that's NFL. Sounds like a RR clone. "good reads, good checkdown, quick release, poor pocket mobility, poor deep pass,very catchable ball, high accuracy short/medium, too much airtime on short/medium passes, considered not durable as a pocket passer, quiet leadership" - maybe he's another RR in the rough.
    Not a particularly encouraging synopsis of Kilgore's athletic ability and skill set. You're not "set at quarterback" [Taman], JB...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think it had something to do with the CFLPA deadline on Vets contracts. Same reason Chevy Walker was sent 'walking' in Ottawa. If you don't have long range plans, then sometimes they have to manage their cap at this time of the year, and get ready to take on a couple more contracts heading into the stretch drive.

Achievements:

Level
    OL Abasi Salimu, who was signed to the PR on Sept 5, was released Sept 12.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    Flabbergasted ! All year I had the feeling that something wasn't right in Gale's position with the Argos. I know he had a poor start to camp, but he has done all asked of him and looked good doing it for more than 2 years. The handwriting was really on the wall when Argos signed McPherson, who has done nothing in the CFL, and made him the short yardage QB. That one left me shaking my head and still does, when you compare last year's short yardage results to this year.
    A few years back, I had college scouted Collaros and Gale ( and Harris a tiny bit), and of the three, Gale had the best overall upside. He has been patient, and never really got a chance.
    I can only presume the Argos are stuck with paying McPherson, someone may have wanted Kilgore off the PR, and cutting Gale was the Braley ( cheapest option) expedient. Perhaps. McPherson's contract is less than Gales'
    I hope Gale gets a good chance elsewhere, but it's a tough time of the year to be on the outside. I think he deserves more for his loyalty, and I feel quite sure that he can be an above average starter in the CFL, given the chance.
    I agree. I talked with Mitchell Gale at the game Saturday and he is off to Winnipeg this week for a tryout. I see lots of upside in him. With all the QBs in going down this season, I was surprised he wasn't traded earlier. A successful career in the CFL has a lot to do with opportunity. Gale never squandered his.

Coach Milanovich has brought in offensive coaches and players from Montreal. When McPherson was signed, it was clear Gale was on his way out. Obviously potential and upside had nothing to do with the decision to release him. I wish Milanovich brought in some of the defensive schemes that have made the difference for Montreal for the last decade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I wish Milanovich brought in some of the defensive schemes that have made the difference for Montreal for the last decade.
    Well...He did bring in both Chris Jones and Tim Burke. They were the DC's in Montreal when Milo was part of their staff.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Well...He did bring in both Chris Jones and Tim Burke. They were the DC's in Montreal when Milo was part of their staff.
    Good point!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You wonder how this D would have performed if Burke had stayed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    You wonder how this D would have performed if Burke had stayed.
    Not much better, maybe a little because of scheme but I think they don't have the players. This defence, particularly the secondary is too slow. Some of the LB's and lineman are inconsistent or lazy because they can't play 2 good games and I mean good as in basic skills like tackling and hustle when pursuing the QB.

They're way too soft as a unit. Did you see Holley knock Jefferson, the Argos best DB about 4-5 yards in the 2nd quarter near the sideline. What is Holley, 5'8, 5'9 at most and not exactly one of those fireplug stocky short guys either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Just checked Ray Holley bio on the Cats website...5'9 height and 200lbs. That's the trimmest and shortest 5'9 200lbs guy I've seen...guess he is a fireplug. That would be about Kackert's size wouldn't it, but he appears smaller from where I was sitting Friday.

Achievements:

Level
    NON-ACTIVE 19-Sep-15
    TOR ADD INT Fou FONOTI (OL) Michigan State
    TOR ADD INT Michael PALARDY (K) Tennessee

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Anxiously awaiting the "we can't lose Palardy" thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Anxiously awaiting the "we can't lose Palardy" thread.
    If Palardy performs well, then gets cut and Swayze gets injured yet again, I'll probably start that thread myself.

Achievements:

Level
    Palardy may or may not work out, but I'm crazy about the Fonoti signing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Have PR,s been expanded? If so, I doubt Barker will able to bring in new talent for evaluation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Palardy may or may not work out,
    How can he not work out? He played in the Special Ed Conference.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:

Level
    So... Tracy Robertson was added to the Suspended list yesterday. He was on the 6-game for most of the year, then the 1-game for the last month, and now this. What does this mean? I have no idea, but it doesn't seem like he's going to be contributing any time soon.

Today, Jason Vega was moved to the 6 game IR, so he's another guy who likely won't be doing much. I noticed that Martin Wright got a sack in our last game, but didn't get a real read on whether he's an upgrade on Vega. Thoughts?