Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Nice to see the Jays off to a 7-0 lead in the top of the 4th after a couple rough nights at bat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Rogers????

Watching the Jays/Rays games the last few nights. I can't believe that Rogers has the money to burn that they do. They have this grandiose plan to boot the Argos out of the dome to put natural grass in after 2017 yet the drop all this money into this new turf that affects baseball negatively. Why wouldn't Rogers milk the old turf for all it's worth until the put natural grass in. Must be nice to have money to throw away.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/746280

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Watching the Jays/Rays games the last few nights. I can't believe that Rogers has the money to burn that they do. They have this grandiose plan to boot the Argos out of the dome to put natural grass in after 2017 yet the drop all this money into this new turf that affects baseball negatively. Why wouldn't Rogers milk the old turf for all it's worth until the put natural grass in. Must be nice to have money to throw away.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/746280
    Sounds like a bunch of spoiled complainers. Last years turf was past due. Not only that, it looked almost embarrasingly ugly on TV. The Jays had to get new turf, no way could they milk it another 2-3 years. The new turf looks great and the artucle says softer. Do they mean soft like real grass?!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of spoiled complainers. Last years turf was past due. Not only that, it looked almost embarrasingly ugly on TV. The Jays had to get new turf, no way could they milk it another 2-3 years. The new turf looks great and the artucle says softer. Do they mean soft like real grass?!
    I don't know the announcers seem to allude to it being too soft and slow, so I'm not sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    So the Blue Jays have won 11 in a row...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    So the Blue Jays have won 11 in a row...
    Plenty of time for the yearly collapse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This situation is simply another reason for me to never buy anything Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Plenty of time for the yearly collapse.
    LOL! It is pretty tight in the American League and has tightened up quite a bit in their division save for the Red Sox who are lagging behind. I still think that the Jays are about a .500 team and this winning streak won't last forever.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    They're on a serious roll but if my Rogers Karma prediction pans out the Jays will continue to win zero when it counts. Used to love baseball and The Jays but those years are long gone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    They're on a serious roll but if my Rogers Karma prediction pans out the Jays will continue to win zero when it counts. Used to love baseball and The Jays but those years are long gone.
    I'm not liking this. Where (or at least when) would Argos play their 4 consecutive October home dates, if they were to make the playoffs and have success?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm torn on the Jays because I'm a fan of the team but can't stand the owners. My support is on hold until Rogers decides they are a money pit and unloads them on someone else.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    I'm torn on the Jays because I'm a fan of the team but can't stand the owners. My support is on hold until Rogers decides they are a money pit and unloads them on someone else.
    Hypothetically, if Rogers bought the Riders would you put your support for them on hold?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While Toronto leads the majors in runs, it is 24th in team ERA. Pitching is key to winning over the long term. I predict that even if the Blue Jays don't swoon before the playoffs, they will exit quickly as the team with better pitching nearly always wins when only the top teams are left.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Hypothetically, if Rogers bought the Riders would you put your support for them on hold?
    Actually no because my issue with Rogers is their anti CFL stance. So buying the Riders hypothetically would make them pro CFL and would pacify any animosity that I have towards them.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well Rogers is blowing dough now. Now Price is a Jay and the pitcher they need and wanted. At one time I would have been thrilled but Rogers, strikes, steroids and stupid money has turned me off of MLB over the years. Boy the media just falls all over itself to talk Jays when they are a so so team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Well Rogers is blowing dough now. Now Price is a Jay and the pitcher they need and wanted. At one time I would have been thrilled but Rogers, strikes, steroids and stupid money has turned me off of MLB over the years. Boy the media just falls all over itself to talk Jays when they are a so so team.
    Actually it's a pretty lethal lineup with Tulowitzki added last week. Nevermind his bat, he makes Jose Reyes look like a crap shortstop. Je's just a flat out better baseball player. You got to give credit to Anthopoulous, he moved the right guy out, and has improved the team in all areas of need.

I know your sentiment about the lockout and steroids. I did not watch a live game until 1998 or 1999 after the 1994 lockout. I probably did not buy a ticket for several more years after. It was also suspicious when all the HR's were hit by McGwire, Sousa and generally everybody. It was rumoured that the baseballs stitched tighter and that this resulted in all the homers after the lockout. Baseball thought this would bring fans back and it did, but it resemble Major League T-Ball, instead of Major League Baseaball to me. Playoff games would last 4 hours and I missed great pitching duels.

MLB has addressed the length of games issues and good defense and pitching has made a comeback. Pennant races are very exciting because it's like a marathon with a game everyday. Baseball is a totally different sport from football because of that, but I grew up liking both as a kid, and that's why I still appreciate the sport.

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The Jays have a very good chance to win the division let alone a wild card spot. They are pitching at a very high level right now though which I don't think will last.. But if it can last long enough to get the bats going the streak could continue.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
    The Jays have a very good chance to win the division let alone a wild card spot. They are pitching at a very high level right now though which I don't think will last.. But if it can last long enough to get the bats going the streak could continue.
    It will be tough to win the division. They are 5.5 games behind the Yankees who are also playing good baseball right now. The Blue Jays do have games against the Yankees in which to make up the deficit, but it'll still be difficult. The Blue Jays have a much better chance at the wild card, IMO.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    It will be tough to win the division. They are 5.5 games behind the Yankees who are also playing good baseball right now. The Blue Jays do have games against the Yankees in which to make up the deficit, but it'll still be difficult. The Blue Jays have a much better chance at the wild card, IMO.
    They still have about 60 games to go, so if they can win 1 more game then the Yanks out of every 10 they will win it. Realistically though they need the Yankees to go on a bit of a slide but if they can play 600 ball for the remainder of the year I could see them having a great chance of winning. The Yankees have some question marks and injury concerns, they didn't do anything at the deadline to improve. I've got to think Price, Tulo, Revere, Hawkins, etc will be worth an extra 5 wins over the last 60.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    54 games are remaining...since the Jays have a 56-52 record which adds up to 108 games played in a 162 game schedule. That's precisely one-third of the season remaining. 4 days ago I predicted that the Jays would need to go 40-18 in their final 58 games which was quite the pace to guarantee a playoff spot or the division title. They've gone 3-1 since Saturday, so 37-17 is what they would have to produce to see that prediction come true.

That would give them a 93-69 record. They do have their fate in their own hands as they play the Yankees 13 times in those remaining 54 games. I think the Jays have a better team right now and if they can go 9-4 against them...why that would mean that they'd just have to play 1 game better vs the rest of the league? If they go 8-5 against them, they'd have to play 3 games better vs the rest to win the AL East. If they go 7-6, then it would be forced to be 5 games better to get a tie. If they outhit them badly, which is possible with their bats and go 10-3 or better, then they would have made up that 5.5 game deficit provided they play as well against everyone else.

The Jays have made up 2 games since last week and there is over 7 weeks left. They've got a big series this weekend in the Bronx and are hot, having taken the first 2 against Minnesota and taking 3 of 4 vs the Royals last weekend. Teams that are or were in playoffs. They Yankees meanwhile have feasted against the White Sox and Red Sox, teams that have not really attempted a push to make the playoffs.

My prediction for the 13 games vs New York is that Toronto will take at least 8 of 13, including winning at least 2 of 3 against them this weekend. David Price will start 4 of those 13 games vs the Yanks including this Saturday.