Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I continue to like both the Jays and Argos because I am not manipulated by the media or ownership.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    Rogers make it almost impossible to be both an ardent Argo fan and a Blue Jays fan. You can't separate the Blue Jays from their ownership, and their media agenda - they force you into making a choice.
    If Rogers were to purchase the Argos, you would cease to be an Argos fan then?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    If Rogers were to purchase the Argos
    blasphemy! lol.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Rogers is not buying the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    If Rogers were to purchase the Argos, you would cease to be an Argos fan then?
    That's a rather trollish question , but I will answer it in any case. No, I would not cease to be an Argo fan - I did not cease to be a Blue Jays fan for many years of Rogers ownership. Although Rogers continual attempts to denigrate the Argos and to promote the NFL in Toronto, have bothered me greatly over the years, I did not dump the Jays; although Rogers continually mismanaged and underfunded the Blue Jays, I did not dump the Jays.
    Only this year, with the sudden decison to spend have I lost faith in the Jays. They have built a team of very questionable quality at great expense, and promoted it as the 'second coming' - I simply can't buy all the over-the-top hype. You can't build a championship team with suspect pitching, and no legitimate major league second baseman - add to that that there is little back-up for inevitable injuries and the farm system is now substantially depleted.
    I have been an Argo fan ( and a CFL fan) since I first came to Canada, and saw them play more than 50 years ago. Rogers will never buy the Argos, but even if they did, I can't picture not being an Argo fan.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Rogers is not buying the Argos.
    And if they ever do, there will have been a huge attitude change towards the Argos/CFL on their part. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think the question is trollish. Many here are unable to distinguish between Rogers and the Blue Jays. What if the Argos became so indistinguishable from an owner you happened to dislike, would you withdraw your support from the team? For many here, it has nothing to do with Rogers, simply a dislike of baseball and a wish to see Toronto have only two sports team (Leafs and Argos) again.

But the Argos all of a sudden becoming the only summer sports team isn't all of a sudden going to bring back the 50k crowds like used to be at the Ex.
    Last edited by Will; 04-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    That's a rather trollish question , but I will answer it in any case. No, I would not cease to be an Argo fan - I did not cease to be a Blue Jays fan for many years of Rogers ownership. Although Rogers continual attempts to denigrate the Argos and to promote the NFL in Toronto, have bothered me greatly over the years, I did not dump the Jays; although Rogers continually mismanaged and underfunded the Blue Jays, I did not dump the Jays.
    Only this year, with the sudden decison to spend have I lost faith in the Jays. They have built a team of very questionable quality at great expense, and promoted it as the 'second coming' - I simply can't buy all the over-the-top hype. You can't build a championship team with suspect pitching, and no legitimate major league second baseman - add to that that there is little back-up for inevitable injuries and the farm system is now substantially depleted.
    I have been an Argo fan ( and a CFL fan) since I first came to Canada, and saw them play more than 50 years ago. Rogers will never buy the Argos, but even if they did, I can't picture not being an Argo fan.
    It's not a trollish question, it's exactly the situation I found myself in as a Jays fan long before Rogers showed up and before I was an Argos fan. You claimed that you can't separate the Blue Jays from their ownership and that you are forced to choose but I disagree. I've seen owners come and go but the Jays remained. Who owns any of the sports teams I support is out of my control. Like you I'm not happy with the way Rogers has dealt with the Argos but I don't take out that frustration on the Jays. There are more than enough people in this city to support all the teams and they should be able to coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    For many here, it has nothing to do with Rogers, simply a dislike of baseball and a wish to see Toronto have only two sports team (Leafs and Argos) again.
    Exactly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

But the Argos all of a sudden becoming the only summer sports team isn't all of a sudden going to bring back the 50k crowds like used to be at the Ex.
    This is also quite true.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Much better effort from Dickey tonight. He pitched 6 1/3 solid innings. The Jays only got two hits, but the difference was a two-run shot by Jose Bautista to lift the Jays 3-2 over Kansas City.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's not a trollish question, it's exactly the situation I found myself in as a Jays fan long before Rogers showed up and before I was an Argos fan. You claimed that you can't separate the Blue Jays from their ownership and that you are forced to choose but I disagree. I've seen owners come and go but the Jays remained. Who owns any of the sports teams I support is out of my control. Like you I'm not happy with the way Rogers has dealt with the Argos but I don't take out that frustration on the Jays. There are more than enough people in this city to support all the teams and they should be able to coexist.

Exactly.
    Firstly I must state that I am very much a baseball and a football fan, and played my full 4 years of eligibilty in both sports in college ( a long time ago). I do not hate or even dislike the Blue Jays - I merely have great difficulties with the behaviour of Rogers as owner. I do not personally believe that Rogers has any interest in the success of the Jays on the field, but is merely involved in a plan to significantly increase their ticket sales and ancillary income. I do not like bad ownership of any sports franchise; I am even more upset with ownership whose agenda has little to do with the success of their team on the field. For these reasons, I choose to, at this time, withdraw my support from the Blue Jays - my personal choice !

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    If Rogers wanted to increase ticket sales for the Blue Jays they would be unable to do so by putting a bad product on the field. Certainly the hype around this team increases ticket sales, but if they don't live up to it on the field then it would only be a short-term increase.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I choose to, at this time, withdraw my support from the Blue Jays - my personal choice !
    That's fine, we are all free to make a choice. Earlier though you said Rogers forces you to choose between supporting the Blue Jays or the Argos. Force is not choice. I choose to support both teams. That is my personal choice, no better or worse than your choice.

Much better effort from Dickey tonight. He pitched 6 1/3 solid innings. The Jays only got two hits, but the difference was a two-run shot by Jose Bautista to lift the Jays 3-2 over Kansas City.
    Nice to see. Let's hope they can get the sweep today.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blue Jays are in a tough one tied 2-2 right now. Jays have hit the ball hard, but never where the Royals ain't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I just hope the Argos never build a winner and promote the hell out of it so the city actually gets in a buzz for a CFL season. I fear we'd lose a fan if that ever happened.

Much better to not try too hard, keep ticket sales at low levels and never speak up to get the city excited about a sports team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I do not like bad ownership of any sports franchise; I am even more upset with ownership whose agenda has little to do with the success of their team on the field. For these reasons, I choose to, at this time, withdraw my support from the Blue Jays - my personal choice !
    so, you obviously aren't a leaf fan then either? because mlse is the worst offender for caring strictly about their revenue and not the on ice product...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blue Jays are in a tough one tied 2-2 right now. Jays have hit the ball hard, but never where the Royals ain't.
    ouch. blew it in the ninth. Royals off to a surprising first place start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    so, you obviously aren't a leaf fan then either? because mlse is the worst offender for caring strictly about their revenue and not the on ice product...
    I am what you would describe as a casual Leaf fan, mainly so that I can have discussions with my son, who is a rabid Leaf fan. I have only ever attended one Leaf game and that was at MLG. I actually should get to know the game of hockey better - I truly do not fully understand all the nuances - perhaps if I had played the game, or even learned to skate, it would be different. However, you are right about MLSE's interest being primarily in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I just hope the Argos never build a winner and promote the hell out of it so the city actually gets in a buzz for a CFL season. I fear we'd lose a fan if that ever happened.

Much better to not try too hard, keep ticket sales at low levels and never speak up to get the city excited about a sports team.
    At this point, the Argos have already built the only winning team in Toronto, although the Leafs are making good progress in that direction. The Argos have not really done anything to " promote the hell out of it " yet, so I presume that we are not about to "lose" you as "a fan".

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The Argos have not really done anything to " promote the hell out of it " yet
    Though I wonder how many Argos fans (outside of Ron) would be opposed to getting the same amount of promotion for the Argos that the Jays got this pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    ouch. blew it in the ninth. Royals off to a surprising first place start.
    It's unfortunate but 2 out of 3 is not bad and we are only 2.5 games behind first. It's still early.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Though I wonder how many Argos fans (outside of Ron) would be opposed to getting the same amount of promotion for the Argos that the Jays got this pre-season.

It's unfortunate but 2 out of 3 is not bad and we are only 2.5 games behind first. It's still early.
    Yeah so far the east is weak but as Billy Martin used to say : 'It's april, we'll come around'.