Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Do the Argos owe the SkyDome era a send-off?

When a team like Hamilton and Winnipeg left Ivor Wynne Stadium and Winnipeg Stadium respectively they each held ceremonies honoring alumni. While the move to a new stadium was warranted in each case at least those teams had some heritage to celebrate at those stadiums. It is true that on the on-field end of things the Argos have won 5 Grey Cups since they moved to SkyDome, however as we know their tenure in that stadium has been accompanied by the severe decline of the brand in Toronto, lousy treatment by their landlord and what can be, at best, described as a mediocre football experience. Paul Woods has pointed out that the Argos are doing a few video features on the jumbotron that may run throughout the season. I suspect that at the last game you may also have a few local alumni honored, but nothing major.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I was wondering if the Skydome owed the Argonauts Football Club an apology. HaHa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The video tributes and some minor stuff within the usual game day experience is enough. The Argos did not exactly have a send off or a tribute when they left CNE (Exhibition) Stadium, and that felt much more like a an actual home to the Argos. They had been main tenants, even controlling scheduling of dates since they had been the major sports tenant since 1959. Although they had only one Grey Cup winning team during their tenure there, they did have teams that were the most popular in their history and set team attendance records there, both single game, regular season and playoff game, along with single season attendance records. They had a noticeable marquee which was seen from the Lakeshore by everyone driving into and out of the downtown core. That's more than you can say about the Skydome which started out as being built as a home for both the Argos and Jays, but was really built to showcase the Blue Jays throughout a North American audience in a state of the art, modern stadium with amenities and a retractable roof meant to limit the postponed games which used to plague the CNE, especially at the beginning of the baseball season. (Baseball games were cancelled because of rain, snow, wind, fog, even an invasion of gnats IIRC)

I remember watching the opening ceremony of the Skydome on TV and was floored when the Argos were just represented by one member, being Canadian Don Moen in a car who was given a small applause by the 50k in attendance when his name and organization was announced. What made this even more noticeable was that it was after the Jays were introduced in their motorcade? I don't remember exactly which players,(think Tom Henke was one) but remember more than one was announced with a thunderous applause that was the loudest of the night. This also sent the message that the Argos were just also-rans in the building of the dome, even though the idea was brought about by then Ontario Premiere Bill Davis, a huge Argo fan, who pushed for it after the 1982 Grey Cup game which saw a torrential downpour of rain for most of the 2nd half.

During the early days of the dome, it did seem as if the Argos shared the facility with the Jays. But with Harry Ornest selling the first rights of scheduling dates to the Blue Jays, it was only a facade. I'd figure with all the wall space around the dome, surely some permanent Argo fixture would be noticeable, but noticed none was ever placed. From the ticket office to the removeable flags on the Bremner Blvd side that believe it or not, had all 9 flags of all CFL teams. They were not permanent and would soon be removed altogether.

Perhaps what the Argos should do is have a halftime or post game ceremony where they could remove their few Grey Cup banners and banners featuring their legendary players. Nice, simple and modest, nothing grandiose, besides I'm sure the Rogers maintanence crew would be waiting with bated breath to clean out anything reminiscent of the Argos ever playing there.

PS- With that being said, I hope BMO will be made to look like an Argos home field without seeing signs of TFC all over the place in the same way you presently see Blue Jays signs all over the dome. I don't want to be seeing a little banner of Argo legends in small font, while seeing a huge permanent TFC wall of honour honouring Danny Dichio...let's get real, Danny Dichio was a fringe English striker who was the first one signed by the organization...decent enough chap when he talks soccer on Sportsnet, but is he really legendary?

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    IIRC, some of the ticket offices had Argo logos on the facade/awning at one point. I may be completely wrong on that point.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    IIRC, some of the ticket offices had Argo logos on the facade/awning at one point. I may be completely wrong on that point.
    I believe they did at the one between Gates 6 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    PS- With that being said, I hope BMO will be made to look like an Argos home field without seeing signs of TFC all over the place in the same way you presently see Blue Jays signs all over the dome. I don't want to be seeing a little banner of Argo legends in small font, while seeing a huge permanent TFC wall of honour honouring Danny Dichio...let's get real, Danny Dichio was a fringe English striker who was the first one signed by the organization...decent enough chap when he talks soccer on Sportsnet, but is he really legendary?
    I'm sure the Argos will be allowed to put up banners etc. during Argos games at BMO Field but how much TFC stuff will be visible I don't know.

PS - Danny Dichio scored the first ever goal for TFC on May 12, 2007 which is why his name has been sung at 23:13 on the clock at every game since. Jim Brennan was the first player signed by the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Meant first import player which might still be incorrect, as I'm certain Brennan, having played on the Men's National team was a Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I believe they did at the one between Gates 6 and 7.

I'm sure the Argos will be allowed to put up banners etc. during Argos games at BMO Field but how much TFC stuff will be visible I don't know.

Ah, the south stands in the supporters section, or what I call the Tom Anselmi kop, since this meant to be the moveable stands thet were supposed to accomodate a Canadian Football field that he finagled into a permanent structure. I know the north stands are coming down for moveable stands, but I'm not sure if these stands are also coming down after the soccer season. Either way, I can't wait.

Fairly lively crowd for that TFC game, but not the most lively at a sports event at a stadium at CNE. That distinction imo comes from the 1983 Eastern Final which took place on November 20, 1983. This video is from one of the great moments at that game, not the winning TD but a good one which proves how great the event was.

One of my greatest sports memories as a kid. Had to listen to this game on radio as it was blacked out in Southern Ontario. A policy that the league would regret when casual fans began treating the Argos with the adage..."out of sight equals out of mind."

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hey all... first time poster here. As my name indicates, I am from Hamilton and am a Ticat fan (but will be respectful here).

Want to chime in here. Seeing as how lousy the Argos have been treated at Rogers Centre, I don't think the Argos owe them a damn thing. With Canad Inns and Ivor Wynne, those two stadiums are synonymous with their teams and the CFL. The Rogers Centre is merely a place for the Argos to play. When I make the trip to RC, I don't get that vibe like 'I'm in the stadium where the Argos play'... in other words, no mystique. Maybe don't do an over the top ceremony, but maybe the last game do a pre-game thank you with a few alumni and maybe a 'top ten' video montage of great Argo moments at RC (I'm thinking 2012 would be Number 1). But don't go over the top in a tribute to a place that didn't really want them there in the first place.

On a related note, can't wait for your new home at BMO next year. Outdoor venues for football are always better. I recall old Argo games at Exhibition Stadium and how fun they were. Hoping the move to BMO helps the Argos for the future. The CFL desperately needs the Argos to be a success in Hogtown.

Cheers

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    Hey all... first time poster here. As my name indicates, I am from Hamilton and am a Ticat fan (but will be respectful here).

Want to chime in here. Seeing as how lousy the Argos have been treated at Rogers Centre, I don't think the Argos owe them a damn thing. With Canad Inns and Ivor Wynne, those two stadiums are synonymous with their teams and the CFL. The Rogers Centre is merely a place for the Argos to play. When I make the trip to RC, I don't get that vibe like 'I'm in the stadium where the Argos play'... in other words, no mystique. Maybe don't do an over the top ceremony, but maybe the last game do a pre-game thank you with a few alumni and maybe a 'top ten' video montage of great Argo moments at RC (I'm thinking 2012 would be Number 1). But don't go over the top in a tribute to a place that didn't really want them there in the first place.

On a related note, can't wait for your new home at BMO next year. Outdoor venues for football are always better. I recall old Argo games at Exhibition Stadium and how fun they were. Hoping the move to BMO helps the Argos for the future. The CFL desperately needs the Argos to be a success in Hogtown.

Cheers
    Welcome to the site TheHammer. Nice first post...and I apologize in advance if I have ever yelled at you. LOL!!
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Meant first import player which might still be incorrect, as I'm certain Brennan, having played on the Men's National team was a Canadian.

Ah, the south stands in the supporters section, or what I call the Tom Anselmi kop, since this meant to be the moveable stands thet were supposed to accomodate a Canadian Football field that he finagled into a permanent structure. I know the north stands are coming down for moveable stands, but I'm not sure if these stands are also coming down after the soccer season. Either way, I can't wait.

Fairly lively crowd for that TFC game, but not the most lively at a sports event at a stadium at CNE. That distinction imo comes from the 1983 Eastern Final which took place on November 20, 1983. This video is from one of the great moments at that game, not the winning TD but a good one which proves how great the event was.

One of my greatest sports memories as a kid. Had to listen to this game on radio as it was blacked out in Southern Ontario. A policy that the league would regret when casual fans began treating the Argos with the adage..."out of sight equals out of mind."
    The crowd shots, the Argo car. Doesn't get much better than that.

It's not the Rogers centre that is owed anything. It's the fans. I know we all can't wait to get out of that toilet bowl but we were there for 26 years -- almost as long as we were in the Ex -- and we had some great memories in the place. If the team had money and the capability of formulating a plan it would celebrate those 26 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I remember watching the opening ceremony of the Skydome on TV and was floored when the Argos were just represented by one member, being Canadian Don Moen
    Well, there was this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3f4sWNFh4#t=6m13s
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The crowd shots, the Argo car. Doesn't get much better than that.
    My first ever CFL game. Just such great memories as a teen. Wish Toronto would embrace the Argos like that once again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I can watch that '83 East Final again and again. As for the SkyDome, there have been some great moments but, unfortunately, that stadium has rarely felt like a real home to the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Wow, did that really happen. Can't remember that part of it...that reminds me of the 1985 Grey Cup halftime show, had that plastic 80's feel. Thank God for Andrea Martin who made this watchable. One of the funniest lady's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I can watch that '83 East Final again and again. As for the SkyDome, there have been some great moments but, unfortunately, that stadium has rarely felt like a real home to the Argos.
    So can I, almost did looking for the best clip that would show an Argos TD with great fan shots. The game winning Cedric Minter TD was on Part 17 but I chose this clip because the TD was closer to the beginning of the clip. All the clips of this game posted by Paul had tremendous fan noise which was constant throughout the game. It looked like a shoehorn was needed to squeeze in all the fans in those shots. 54,530 were at the game, 2nd most ever at the CNE, only to the 1982 Grey Cup Game the year before which had 54,741. These two events were the most to attend a Toronto team sporting event in Toronto. For as much as some in the media choose to dismiss this team, this is fact.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    So can I, almost did looking for the best clip that would show an Argos TD with great fan shots. The game winning Cedric Minter TD was on Part 17 but I chose this clip because the TD was closer to the beginning of the clip. All the clips of this game posted by Paul had tremendous fan noise which was constant throughout the game. It looked like a shoehorn was needed to squeeze in all the fans in those shots. 54,530 were at the game, 2nd most ever at the CNE, only to the 1982 Grey Cup Game the year before which had 54,741. These two events were the most to attend a Toronto team sporting event in Toronto. For as much as some in the media choose to dismiss this team, this is fact.
    I believe that Condredge Holloway and Emanuel Tolbert connected for a 66 and 80 yard touchdowns in the 50-16 win at Ivor Wynne that saw Tolbert run a similar, if not, identical route to the one that he ran in the clip you posted. For all the deserved accolades that Terry Greer received in 1983 one cannot forget that Tolbert was a valuable piece of that team with 1200 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns.

It would have been a fun game to be at that is for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    At half-time of the last game we should put a pile of rogers cell phones/old pvr boxes in the middle of the field and blow it up.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    That is incorrect and Brennan is Canadian.

Fairly lively crowd for that TFC game, but not the most lively at a sports event at a stadium at CNE.
    I didn't post that clip to make any comparisons to the Argos. I posted it because you asked:

I don't want to be seeing a little banner of Argo legends in small font, while seeing a huge permanent TFC wall of honour honouring Danny Dichio...let's get real, Danny Dichio was a fringe English striker who was the first one signed by the organization...decent enough chap when he talks soccer on Sportsnet, but is he really legendary?
    You are correct that Dichio was not a superstar player during his career and he did join TFC at the end of it. Dichio is a pretty humble guy who has said it could have been anyone that scored that first goal but he got lucky and it was him. He was our top goal scorer in 2 of the 3 seasons he played for us before he retired. Also he is still working for the TFC Academy, so that is why he is a legend among TFC fans.

Back on topic:

Maybe don't do an over the top ceremony, but maybe the last game do a pre-game thank you with a few alumni and maybe a 'top ten' video montage of great Argo moments at RC (I'm thinking 2012 would be Number 1). But don't go over the top in a tribute to a place that didn't really want them there in the first place.
    Welcome aboard and I agree with you here. Keep it simple with the focus being on the teams history there vs. saying goodbye to the stadium. Another difference with Rogers Centre vs. the closing of Ivor Wynne and Canad Inns is that it isn't going anywhere. The other two were permanently closing and being replaced, in this case we are leaving and not really by choice. Also we may not finish our season at Rogers Centre, though I'm not convinced that is going to happen yet but it is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's not the Rogers centre that is owed anything. It's the fans.
    Agreed.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    When I picture a true send-off to an arena, I picture the farewell ceremonies to Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum. So much history in those buildings led to such heart-warming tributes. Sadly, this venue never really felt like home to the Argos despite having some successful teams throughout the years. I think a big farewell would seem forced. I don't think it should amount to little more than a PA announcement and a couple of alumni on hand. Make their debut at BMO the true celebration.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheFan View Post
    When I picture a true send-off to an arena, I picture the farewell ceremonies to Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum. So much history in those buildings led to such heart-warming tributes. Sadly, this venue never really felt like home to the Argos despite having some successful teams throughout the years. I think a big farewell would seem forced. I don't think it should amount to little more than a PA announcement and a couple of alumni on hand. Make their debut at BMO the true celebration.
    Great point!

As BMO marks a return to the Exhibition grounds there is no reason why alumni from that era such as Holloway, Greer, Theismann, Symons, etc shouldn't be there. Of course, Pinball should have something big to do with it as well.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Question:

After the move to BMO, would Rogers Centre still be used for playoff games and Grey Cups? I know they had that arrangement in Montreal for years (can't recall if they still do).

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Question:

After the move to BMO, would Rogers Centre still be used for playoff games and Grey Cups? I know they had that arrangement in Montreal for years (can't recall if they still do).
    Rumour has it the 2016 Grey Cup will be at BMO Field.