Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I think this is a case of the Argos deciding to keep the story quiet, and the media respecting that decision (for better or worse). This is one the advantages (arguably) of limited media attention.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I think this is a case of the Argos deciding to keep the story quiet, and the media respecting that decision (for better or worse). This is one the advantages (arguably) of limited media attention.
    That's probably about right. Anyone remember our surprise when the promising Janzen Jackson was released just before a game a couple of years ago and we weren't provided any reason? A few months later, he was charged with murder (not saying the same is going to happen to Underwood).
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 08-23-2015 at 02:13 AM.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Will happen only if we (a) remove one of our dynamic new receivers and (b) change our entire offensive philosophy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Will happen only if we (a) remove one of our dynamic new receivers and (b) change our entire offensive philosophy.
    So you're saying there's a chance!

Achievements:

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ugh, not a fan of these 3rd jerseys. I'm fine with the colours but that big A on the front and the number font drives me crazy!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Ottawa was way offside on the pass leading up to their first Td

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Ugh, not a fan of these 3rd jerseys. I'm fine with the colours but that big A on the front and the number font drives me crazy!
    I wish they'd burn those Tennessee Titan uniforms. That's not a football uniform, it look like a jr hockey uniform, not that there is anything wrong with jr. hockey, just using those style of uniforms with a crest in the middle for a football uniform is wrong. I bet the officials probably hate them too when they have to find the correct jersey numbers between the tackles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I actually like that. You can buy a blank football Jersey and not have it look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Looked way less than the opener vs Saskatchewan and good god was the place dead quiet when Ottawa scored...How many Ottawa fans were there? Were there even 10, because it sure sounded like none in the first half. The TSN cameras did try and showed some close ups of Ottawa fans during their quick TD's in the 4th quarter, surrounded by a whole bunch of hometown Argo fans.

I chose too stay home and not subject myself to all that inconveniance and overblown security and watched comfortably on TV, so I did help the CFL and TSN and with ratings. It seems like I was not the only one who opted for this as attendance was under 15k. I tip my hat to those of you who were there as the noise late in the 4th quarter was definitely loud and evident through my TV...good job Argo fans.

You could argue that I did not do my part by going to the game, but the best part of my decision was that I did not use the concessions and gave Rogers corporation zilch, $0.00 and that's fine by me. I bet I'm not the only one, as mentioned.

Despite the not as large crowd, were there any difficulties with the security measures. Were there enough and was the Rogers Centre staff cordial and efficient in herding the crowd in?
    Yeah there definitely were not a lot of Ottawa fans at the game. Security was much quicker for us this game, literally took us 30 seconds to get in and we came about 10 minutes before kickoff.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I actually like that. You can buy a blank football Jersey and not have it look silly
    As fan merchandise I would agree with you in comparison to a blank jersey with no numbers, but as an actual football jersey used in a game, no way should they ever be used. I am not a fan of many of the signature series 3rd jerseys. They don't look like pro football jerseys and I think may contribute to confusing the heck out of casual or would be fans who may have no idea what the Argonaut jersey, helmet or logo look like as they may see all these different variations at times during highlights. I cannot see how that promotes the brand, other than getting the fans you already have to shell out money to buy these jerseys for their collection.

I bet you can ask a guy who is a casual or non hockey fan and ask them if they could identify a Leafs, Canadiens, Red Wings, Blackhawks or Rangers jersey and they'll all be able to easily because they've rarely if ever made glaring changes to their uniforms. I think the Argos lost a lot of that brand notoriety when they changed their boat logo on the helmet in 1990. They went to that budget looking horribly written Argos logo on the helmet and the jersey. The Harry Ornest logo. Thankfully they recovered that brand somewhat in bringing back the nice sleek looking double blue trims and the big "A" logo in 1991.

As for the football team, the Argos better stick with trying to develop a running game as part of the game plan, especially since they have the guys in Kackert and Whitaker. Throwing the ball is nice, but as the weather gets cooler and the winds pick up, you better have a running attack to keep defenses honest and not loading up on DB's. These are habit forming and I don't think the Argos are as well-oiled as the Ticats are now. I also believe Montreal is in a position to make noise in the playoffs if they can get in because of the potential running attack of Sutton and Rutley which can help rookie Cato simply manage a game, as opposed to winning games on his own as a rookie QB. I know they had planned to fire Higgins before their win in BC, but Popp would be wise to follow that gameplan. They have as good a defense as any in the league and I bet their dressing room is also stabilized and not as distracted as it was with all the non-football related attention from the media.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    As for the football team, the Argos better stick with trying to develop a running game as part of the game plan, especially since they have the guys in Kackert and Whitaker. Throwing the ball is nice, but as the weather gets cooler and the winds pick up, you better have a running attack to keep defenses honest and not loading up on DB's. These are habit forming and I don't think the Argos are as well-oiled as the Ticats are now. I also believe Montreal is in a position to make noise in the playoffs if they can get in because of the potential running attack of Sutton and Rutley which can help rookie Cato simply manage a game, as opposed to winning games on his own as a rookie QB. I know they had planned to fire Higgins before their win in BC, but Popp would be wise to follow that gameplan. They have as good a defense as any in the league and I bet their dressing room is also stabilized and not as distracted as it was with all the non-football related attention from the media.
    I do agree that the running game can stand to improve. However, the Argos travel to Edmonton on Friday, which is there last trip out west (barring the Grey Cup) so the Prairie autumn weather will not be a factor. They also travel to Hamilton on Labour Day, Ottawa in late September and Montreal in early October so the weather shouldn't be too, too cold. Any playoff game out east in November might be an issue though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    ........ However, the Argos travel to Edmonton on Friday, which is there last trip out west (barring the Grey Cup) so the Prairie autumn weather will not be a factor. They also travel to Hamilton on Labour Day, Ottawa in late September and Montreal in early October so the weather shouldn't be too, too cold. Any playoff game out east in November might be an issue though.
    Interesting view ..... So basically we should have easy weather here on in ...... Except it doesn't help prepare for the Grey Cup in Winnipeg.
    The security lines were opposite from last week . I came 45 minutes early as I didn't want to miss the opening kick ..... Just sailed in . I think they had more lines open.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Looks like a beautiful day for football, roof open, etc.

Crowd looks meek on TV, any guesses?

Wish i was back in Toronto.

Ottawa's TD was a joke of an offside, hope it doesn't come back to burn the double blue in the end.

Interesting tidbit about how Milanovich's Dad comes to every home game, and is on the sideline. (From Rochester, NY)
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    Second and 15 on the Ottawa 10 yard line and we give up a 50 yard play. This drives me nuts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    Brandon McDonald may have just saved the game for Argos by shooting his mouth off. Thank you.

Achievements:

Level
    Swayze Waters is a fairly good punter.

Achievements:

Level
    And, once again, we barely win a game. This is not a great team, but it is nearly always good enough!

Kackert wasn't nearly so impressive today. He didn't seem to have the same burst or energy as last week, and I understand why we're still using Whitaker most of the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Achievements:
    Level
    Happy for the win and the Argonauts are 6-2 for the first time since 97! It's an interesting team as it seems that they are excellent in spurts but were also very ineffective in both the 1st and 3rd quarters. However, they are always making big plays when necessary! Great game from the d-line and also Swayze Waters. Kudos to Hazelton for keeping his mouth shut allowing the Ottawa DB to get the penalty and give the Argos the momentum. They have to find a way to keep Spencer in the lineup once Owens gets back.
    Last edited by Stevoman; 08-23-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Attendance was 14,748, according to cfl.ca
    The East side didn't look too bad today, but the west side was pretty bare.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Attendance was 14,748, according to cfl.ca
    The East side didn't look too bad today, but the west side was pretty bare.
    Looked way less than the opener vs Saskatchewan and good god was the place dead quiet when Ottawa scored...How many Ottawa fans were there? Were there even 10, because it sure sounded like none in the first half. The TSN cameras did try and showed some close ups of Ottawa fans during their quick TD's in the 4th quarter, surrounded by a whole bunch of hometown Argo fans.

I chose too stay home and not subject myself to all that inconveniance and overblown security and watched comfortably on TV, so I did help the CFL and TSN and with ratings. It seems like I was not the only one who opted for this as attendance was under 15k. I tip my hat to those of you who were there as the noise late in the 4th quarter was definitely loud and evident through my TV...good job Argo fans.

You could argue that I did not do my part by going to the game, but the best part of my decision was that I did not use the concessions and gave Rogers corporation zilch, $0.00 and that's fine by me. I bet I'm not the only one, as mentioned.

Despite the not as large crowd, were there any difficulties with the security measures. Were there enough and was the Rogers Centre staff cordial and efficient in herding the crowd in?