New Fan
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Argonauts Draft - Who would you select?

Hi Guys

I have decided to make my official debut in this new forum. So, let's get down to business:
    The Argonauts have a total of 6 picks in this years draft
    1) None
    2) 9th Overall
    3) None (Why does it go to Winnipeg?)
    4) 24th and 28th Pick
    5) 32nd
    6) 40th and 41st.

What position do we need to draft?
    RB? - Bryan Crawford retiring and Jeff Johnson aging
    LB - With Cory Greenwood still down south - do we need another LB to develop
    Rec - We have a number of Receivers from previous years, but are they good enough?
    OL - If we sign Tyler Holmes (2011) and Joel Reinders, we may not need to draft one this year.
    DL - Do we need a DE to back up Ricky Foley or do we just stay with the current backups - Alexandre and Robinson
    DB - All we have as a NI is Matt Black.

What is our most pressing need?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wouldn't mind drafting a Linebacker. Personally I would draft Chambers, if he gets passed down for NFL reasons or I would even trade up. I'm just a big fans of his through out his Laurier career and would love to see him in double blue. I think he's more complete than Gore, Foster and that guy in Winnipeg. The only thing is how desperate is he to land an NFL gig? Hopefully anyone we draft this year doesn't have Reinders syndrome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    At #9, the Argos should be drafting a guy who, IMO, is being thought of as a legit prospect to compete and maybe play right away in an area of team need; I realize this flies in the face of CFL commentator cliched wisdom that NIs/draft picks "aren't ready" to play in the CFL and need "time to develop" - which may be the case a lot of times; but it just isn't all the time and there are more and more (IMO) top Canadian players coming out of both CIS & NCAA ball over the past number of years; and the Argos have plenty of areas of need (IMO) - where a young player could maybe come in and push for playing time. And this year's draft crop seems pretty deep with a number of bluechip (or close) type prospects; so, at #9 - the Argos could maybe get one of these type guys.

And I'd lay off, for sure, with a team's first pick in the draft, pretty well any player who is looking like he is going to get a good to even decent NFL shot (see Nick Kaczur to Cory Greenwood). The NFL draft (and subsequent undrafted FA signing frenzy) is before the CFL draft, so it should be fairly clear which CFL draftable guys might be getting a look down there - Chambers and Heenan mentioned, and there's a couple of NCAA guys like Crawford (DE - Boise St.) or Pastzor (OG - Virginia) who should get either NFL drafted or signed.

Like to see the Argos go after an interior O-Lineman or a top receiver with the #9 pick; but if the best ones they've identified are already gone by #9, then look elsewhere; Plesius at MLB maybe.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd like to see them draft Campeau-Charboneau out of Sherbrooke. I think he's actually ranked 9th or he was. Seems like a good Canadian receiver. I think I wouldn't even touch guys that the NFL has interest in. We've wastes too many picks like that in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argonut View Post
    3) None (Why does it go to Winnipeg?)
    Nice to see you back! I am guessing that this pick was part of the Steven Jyles trade.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    After Chambers blew up at the combine there's absolutely no possibility he's available at #4. Apparently Plesius didn't do anything remarkable and has pushed his stock down...that's be my choice if he's there at #9.

Have to get someone who can contribute right away on ST. Can't have another draft like last year - - first rounder doesn't show up...second rounder was traded away...end up with Kuame int he third round who didn't contribute on offence or ST.

I don't expect a starter on offence or defence, but at least be able to get downfield on kick coverage and make some plays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wouldn't mind seeing them draft Nathan Riva.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was lucky in that I have coached Pasztor and Mike Van Praet (DL UWO- and had the best bench press at the e-camp). Both played in London for the Falcons in the OVFL league Both are terrific, quiet, strong young men. For personal reasons I would love to see them in double-blue!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Very pleased to see you on the forum Argonut!

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    We gave Winnipeg a third round pick for Steven Jyles plus a first pick 4th overall in last year's draft and a second overall in this year's draft for Ricky Ray. I don't think Barker knows what he is doing. I would definitely go receiver with the 9th overall pick. I'm disappointed that Baker could of had Gore, Foster, Cory Watson, Ianuzzi, Coehoorn and parker but choose to wait till the third round to draft Spencer watt and Djems Koume. I was at combine and a receiver from Ottawa really impressed. Bogdan Raioc. He looked good.

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    CHAMBERS CHAMBERS CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this guy is gonna be a star! and hopefully with the argos!!!!!!!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoscflguy View Post
    CHAMBERS CHAMBERS CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this guy is gonna be a star! and hopefully with the argos!!!!!!!!!!
    Unless he signs an NFL FA contract between the 2 drafts (or actually gets drafted in the NFL draft), he won't be available at #9.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Barker's draft strategy has been catastrophic. Really the result of too much to do and not enough resources. Chris Jones and Milanovich will help considerably in this at least for this year. I would let the coaching staff drive this draft. A lot of very good athletes but for the most part projects and many that will likely be converted to other positions. I'd avoid head cases like Nadon and Plesius not worth the hassle. Give precedence at equal talent to Ontario kids and gauge desire better. Something Barker was really poor at gauging the last two drafts.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree with your comments RoRoYoBoat. I hope they don't just waste picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    i'd go for ismael bamba wr from sherbrooke

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Players I hope could still be available when the Argos pick:

#9 - receiver - either of Charbonneau-Campeau or Bamba (both from Sherbrooke); Chambers may be the top rated reciever in this draft and may get an NFL look; but IMO the 2 Sherby guys may be better receivers - certainly much better on field production in college ball

#24 - a DT - one of Thomas, Van Praaet, Westerman or Postuma: Bilukidi may be the best DT prospect in this draft and I'll bet he's taken first round, but one of the other good DT prospects should still be available; and if Huntley and / or Wroten are not with it and strong for TC and capable of a solid CFL season, then give a Canadian DT a real shot - maybe a platoon of Alexandre and a draft pick getting playing time at DT

#28 - a LB - athletic, tough LBs should make good special teams gunners/tacklers/blockers; and maybe the guy is a smart defensive player who could learn/develop fast to be able to play some on D and start down the road - one of Hurl, Regimbald-Gagne or Beaulieu-Richard should still be available at #28

#32 - a DB (as a safety prospect); Younger might become an excellent safety now with all his CFL experience and i guess Pile could still go back there if need be; but a young back-up safety would be nice to groom; Hollohan (StFX) put up an outstanding set of athletic testing #s at the CFL Combine and he's been a CIS all-star as both a corner and safety - i'll bet he's taken well before #32 overall, but you never know; Harrison Maloney (Bishops) - all-star D-half in CIS ball, but a big DB (always liked a big, hard-hitting safety) - should still be available for the Argos with their later round picks

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I want someone who can help right away. Just don't draft a guy who heads south and we never see him again.

Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Didn't Hollohan miss the entire season or is that someones else? I would like to see Wilkerson Desouza in double blue, wasn't the last UofT Argo Mike Eben in the 70's?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Didn't Hollohan miss the entire season or is that someones else? I would like to see Wilkerson Desouza in double blue, wasn't the last UofT Argo Mike Eben in the 70's?
    Hardly; Dean Dorsey, Lance Chomyc and John Raposo to name a few; i'll bet there are a few others at least; Desouza might be a nice later round pick.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I hope that the Argos stay away from those that will probably hold out for a chance in the NFL. We've been disappointed the last few years.
    Justin Cappiciotti apparently had a good camp and that would be a solid DL that may not take too long to get up to speed.
    Word has it from those in the Q that Regimbald at LB is close to physically ready for the next level.
    Hollohan would be a good bet . He did rehab this year but obviously worked hard to get in top shape for the e-camp.
    I think Greene would be a good selection. He is a QB and very athletic and he mentioned he just wants to play football. Not sure where he would be placed. I've seen QBs at LB and WR .
    The OL would be nice to get but I think these will either go back to school or need a couple of years. Heenan would be ready but he's probably going for the big bucks. (don't blame him)
    WR is difficult to choose. Chambers is the best and most ready, and he will be gone before the Argos even have a chance. (even if he stays in the CFL) I don't think I have a favourite. Perhpas Foceshato, but that may be my Marauder slant coming through.I like Bamba and SCC from Sherbrooke, but also Aprile and Brescacin. Some of these can go back for another year of university (not sure which ones )