Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

How many blowout wins in the Milanovich era?

Much has been made of the Argos 6-wins coming by close margins. This got me thinking as to how many true blowout wins there have been in the Milanovich era?

2012: The Argos first three wins of the season were each by three points over the Stampeders, Blue Bombers and Alouettes respectively. They beat the Stampeders 22-14 on August 18, which was Kackert's first start after Cory Boyd was cut. The Labor Day Classic was won 33-30, which was awesome. I'll classify the 45-31 win over Hamilton on September 8 as a blowout because IIRC the Tiger-Cats scored a couple of garbage time touchdowns. The September 29 win over the Blue Bombers (29-10) could be classified as a blowout, but the last two games of the season, the wins over Saskatchewan and Hamilton were close games. Likewise, the Eastern Final was a tight game, but the Grey Cup win was also a blowout. So let's say 2 wins out of 9 were blowouts plus the Grey Cup game.

2013: The season opener win over Hamilton was a close game, but then the Argos proceed to beat Winnipeg, BC and Montreal by lopsided scores. The four game winning streak on the road were all close (the Argos pulled away late in Edmonton) and then there was a late-season game against Winnipeg that the Argos won by 15 points. So let's say 4 out of 11 wins were blowouts.

2014: Despite only winning 8 games this season actually featured a few more blowouts. The Argos blew out Saskatchewan, Montreal, Winnipeg, BC and Ottawa. So 5 out of 8 wins were blowouts.

2015: I guess the only game the Argos have blown out their opponent is Edmonton.

So out of 34 wins in this timespan, 12 of them were blowouts. Not meant to be a knock on Milanovich, but merely pointing out that the Argos winning tight games seems to be nothing new.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Winning close games is critical, and a sign of a good team! Having said that I think this year Hamilton is the clear #1 in the East and The Argos have a long way to go.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    We may have had many close games in 2012, and this season might be mirroring that season to a degree, however I feel this year's team is running more on luck more than skill. I don't have the same confidence that this team could go all the way like they did in 2012. Please God prove me wrong

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    But, hindsight is 20/20. The 2012 Argonauts failed to find real consistency until the Grey Cup and many of us had written off that team after a 44-32 loss to a bad Winnipeg team. The 2015 Argonauts have yet to find that consistency, that is true, but I don't think it is fair to say that they are any less farther along than the 2012 Argonauts were at this time (when they lost to a bad Edmonton team at home).
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Don't have a problem winning close games rather than blowouts. The 1990 Argo team won a lot of games by blowouts, but couldn't beat the best team in the East that year, Winnipeg. Any team can play in a blowout situation, because there is no late game pressure. Being able to compete well in a tight game late is huge.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Don't have a problem winning close games rather than blowouts. The 1990 Argo team won a lot of games by blowouts, but couldn't beat the best team in the East that year, Winnipeg. Any team can play in a blowout situation, because there is no late game pressure. Being able to compete well in a tight game late is huge.
    The problem is IMO that eventually winning the way the Argos have this season will bite them in the butt.
    The Argos were extremely lucky to win yesterday, as well as the Sask overtime game, and the home game against Riders etc.............. IMHO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The problem is IMO that eventually winning the way the Argos have this season will bite them in the butt.
    The Argos were extremely lucky to win yesterday, as well as the Sask overtime game, and the home game against Riders etc.............. IMHO
    No doubt, but they have also come up big in clutch situations. I'm not going to predict that they will beat Hamilton when it counts, but there are still 10 games to play. I still think that if Ray was in the line-up with this receiving core, some of those close games may not have been so close. Where it is taking the offence until the 2nd half of games to start to get into rhythm, I believe they would have put up plenty more points in first half of games with Ray...but that is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to start another Ray or Harris thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No doubt, but they have also come up big in clutch situations. I'm not going to predict that they will beat Hamilton when it counts, but there are still 10 games to play. I still think that if Ray was in the line-up with this receiving core, some of those close games may not have been so close. Where it is taking the offence until the 2nd half of games to start to get into rhythm, I believe they would have put up plenty more points in first half of games with Ray...but that is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to start another Ray or Harris thread.
    Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the way the Argonauts have been this season, odds are that it's bound to catch up, just the way it goes............... usually.
    One huge positive that comes from playing this way is that the team has learned early this season how to fight back when down early and winning close games is a sign of a good team IMO, because the alternative would be the Riders, who have lost all their close games this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    With all of the changes in this offence, I feel they have performed extremely well and will only get better. Look out Hamilton, you've peaked too early!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Moved from merchandise thread.
    Yeah. As a head coach Barker has a career 29-43 record. Milanovich is 38-34, which considering the lack of financial resources the team has had is pretty good. I just don't get how anyone can be anti-Milanovich.
    I never said Barker was a good Head Coach - even pointed out that they could have used GM's names on the house banners.

Milanovich is 4 games above .500 - let's not pretend that its much better than mediocre. Myself and quite a few others are tired of his offense - so bloody conservative in the first half then only shows up during the 3rd or 4th quarter out of desperation. Aside from Elizondo-Lemon's offense I have never seen so many checkdowns in my life.

Also one major thing I take issue with is - Why does it have to be Milanovich or crap (Andrus, Huard, etc) ?
    Why can't we expect better ? Make a comparison with Don Matthews or Bob O'Billovich.
    Yeah let's stay status quo even though Milanovich is mediocre at best, because the only other alternative is Bart Andrus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Moved from merchandise thread.

I never said Barker was a good Head Coach - even pointed out that they could have used GM's names on the house banners.

Milanovich is 4 games above .500 - let's not pretend that its much better than mediocre. Myself and quite a few others are tired of his offense - so bloody conservative in the first half then only shows up during the 3rd or 4th quarter out of desperation. Aside from Elizondo-Lemon's offense I have never seen so many checkdowns in my life.

Also one major thing I take issue with is - Why does it have to be Milanovich or crap (Andrus, Huard, etc) ?
    Why can't we expect better ? Make a comparison with Don Matthews or Bob O'Billovich.
    Yeah let's stay status quo even though Milanovich is mediocre at best, because the only other alternative is Bart Andrus.
    I don't think he is mediocre at best. Let's see what happens this year. As for the check downs you so hate, Sorry, I'll take that over throwing deep for the sake of throwing deep. I like the fact that when Ray plays, the Argos seldom throw INT's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Let's see what happens this year.
    Agreed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't forget that every year Barker and Milanovich have had to replace key coaches that keep getting poached. O'SHEA Maas Jones Steinauer two DCS last year. No other coaching staff has had to replenish itself every year like that. If they put together a contender this year and help restore the interest they deserve to be considered one of the best GM Coach tandems in Argo history. No others have had to deal with all of the off field crap these two have and still field playoff teams and win a champion ship.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Don't forget that every year Barker and Milanovich have had to replace key coaches that keep getting poached. O'SHEA Maas Jones Steinauer two DCS last year. No other coaching staff has had to replenish itself every year like that. If they put together a contender this year and help restore the interest they deserve to be considered one of the best GM Coach tandems in Argo history. No others have had to deal with all of the off field crap these two have and still field playoff teams and win a champion ship.
    No arguments here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think he is mediocre at best. Let's see what happens this year. As for the check downs you so hate, Sorry, I'll take that over throwing deep for the sake of throwing deep. I like the fact that when Ray plays, the Argos seldom throw INT's.
    I would like to see more forward momentum in the check downs. If they are picking up 5 yards, it's a good play, but often it's a flat footed reciever, who gets tackled instantly. Flutie and Pinball were awesome at this. People forget how often Flutie would go through all his reads and check to Clemons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I would like to see more forward momentum in the check downs. If they are picking up 5 yards, it's a good play, but often it's a flat footed reciever, who gets tackled instantly. Flutie and Pinball were awesome at this. People forget how often Flutie would go through all his reads and check to Clemons.
    Difference being the defence had to stay honest and respect Flutie's running ability.

Not saying you see it this way, but some of the complaints about the check down seem to imply that it is the first read. It is the last of the progression of reads.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Difference being the defence had to stay honest and respect Flutie's running ability.

Not saying you see it this way, but some of the complaints about the check down seem to imply that it is the first read. It is the last of the progression of reads.
    AV and I are both awake at 2:20 in the a.m. (1:20 for me in Central Time Zone) so I guess we are both insomniacs, haha.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Flutie and Pinball were awesome at this.
    Key point -- two hall of famers with unique skill sets. Ricky is going to the Hall, and so might Chad, but they aren't Flutie and Pinball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Key point -- two hall of famers with unique skill sets. Ricky is going to the Hall, and so might Chad, but they aren't Flutie and Pinball.
    I wish they were! We may never see another Flutie. Pinball was very unique and it is very difficult normally for a player with his stature and perceived short coming to make a pro-team. I really like how they extended Pinballs career by moving him to the slot position. It was brilliant and really show cased his level of talent...and heart.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    AV and I are both awake at 2:20 in the a.m. (1:20 for me in Central Time Zone) so I guess we are both insomniacs, haha.
    I'm on vacation and was watching the NFL draft which I PVR'd because I wanted to watch the hockey game. What's your excuse? LOL.