Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Hey The Hammer don't worry about what won't happen. You'll have a very hard time losing to this messed up Argo team. Calgary and Hamilton in the Grey Cup is my call. A very solid Calgary D will help them go back to back. I picked Calgary right from the get go.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There are a number of problems, including an o-line that is steadily regressing from earlier this season, but the biggest by FAR is the defence. I can't tell if it's scheme or personnel -- probably a combo but not sure which is the stronger factor.

As a reminder, our defensive co-ordinator was appointed on the eve of the season out of necessity when his predecessor stepped down unexpectedly. At that stage of the year there were no better options available. It would have been risky as hell to bring in an outsider (such as Benevides) with his own schemes to implement but no time to do it. That said, if Corey Chamblin is willing to come in right now as DC, I'd support that move.

But we also need to take a long, hard look at personnel. Owusu-Ansah has been awful in recent weeks, as have Isaac and Agnew. The two Smiths seem merely adequate at this point. Our d-line is missing something -- one week a guy looks good, the next he disappears. Bottom line is, at the midway point of the season we warrant no more than ONE eastern all-star on defence (Greenwood).
    If you want Chamblin please take him and save us 750 grand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Get rid of "vanilla sex" Milanovich. No imagination ... no emotion.
    We'll take him!!!! Go ahead, fire him!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    If you want Chamblin please take him and save us 750 grand!!!
    It likely wouldn't work that way. It might save them the difference between what he's still owed and what he'd make in the new role. The Riders also might be able to claw back half of his remaining severance once he finds work elsewhere, but if he has a good lawyer he'd probably have argued the work would have to be reasonably equivalent. A DC job is not reasonably equivalent to a HC job, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

Great opportunity

The Argos are very lucky they get another shot at the Cats.

When you are embarrassed, you want an instant rematch right?

The game on Friday is the game that will tell us everything we need to know about this team this year.

I expect everyone will be on board; but then, should they cough up another stinker.....expect changes.

And yes, Creehan should be one of them. There are other options than confusion. He simply looks over his head on the sidelines. And that is never good in a game like this one. I also have concerns with Special Teams.

Regardless, Jalil Carter, Henoc Muamba, and Marcus Ball are all ball players that would improve this team right away. You find a spot for these guys.

This will be another indication of how this season is going to go. Should the Argo brass mail it in, like they were forced to do in Free Agency, then I think the fans have every reason to question why their season tickets......are not refundable.

It all starts at the top. If you want all in; everyone has to be ALL IN.

Continuity is a huge benefit when it comes to CFL defenses. All the best D's this team have had proves this out. I mean how many years did Don Wilson-Ed Berry-Reggie Pleasant-Carl Brazley play together? Wheaton-Steinauer-Ivory-A.Smith. I mean even the Chris Jones era had Pat Watkins-Younger-Jalil Carter-A. Carroll-P.Horne.

Give these young guys a chance, but give them a scheme that works! I have quite had enough of the Ricardo Colclough's and Ohrian Johnson's of the world.

And while we are at it, can we get a return game back somehow? Why didn't this team claim Larry Taylor when he was on waivers?

There are plenty of excuses to be had; Van Zeyl shouldn't be on the field right now. Van Roten is playing with an arm brace. Campbell, King, Smith are all nursing lingering issues. The young guys (who are plenty talented) have their heads swimming right now and yes, this team has regressed. It looks like the long road trip has finally caught up to them and we all know that truthfully they are not as good as their record indicates.

Lets hope today, they all hear the riot act with fair warning. They'd better play with fear in their eyes on Friday. When a team is constantly beaten on the line, all game long and on both sides of the ball; well, that is a team that will never win a Grey Cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Regardless, Jalil Carter, Henoc Muamba, and Marcus Ball are all ball players that would improve this team right away. You find a spot for these guys.
    At any cost? They can all go wherever they want as free agents, so it will cost and you could easily overpay. Clearly Muamba is going to make at least $200k/year, and likely worth it (to any team whose owner is willing to spend). Are Carter and Ball worth upending the salary scale for? I guess we could cut Isaac for Ball but Isaac might already be owed his full salary for 2015. Carter could replace a cheaper DB like Hawkins or B. Smith but if he costs an extra $50k that's money that can't go to Ball or Muamba. And of course we have no evidence our current owner will free up our GM to make big offers. Maybe we could load bonuses into 2016 on the assumption our QB costs will come down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    At any cost? They can all go wherever they want as free agents, so it will cost and you could easily overpay. Clearly Muamba is going to make at least $200k/year, and likely worth it (to any team whose owner is willing to spend). Are Carter and Ball worth upending the salary scale for? I guess we could cut Isaac for Ball but Isaac might already be owed his full salary for 2015. Carter could replace a cheaper DB like Hawkins or B. Smith but if he costs an extra $50k that's money that can't go to Ball or Muamba. And of course we have no evidence our current owner will free up our GM to make big offers. Maybe we could load bonuses into 2016 on the assumption our QB costs will come down.
    Muamba is worth every penny. He is a ratio changer. Muamba in at MLB even at the expense of Greg Jones, if necessary. We'll see in the next game, but to me the bubble players are the players who aren't making plays or wrapping up tackles. Hawkins, Agnew, Rolle, Tonye-Tonye, the Smith boys... had all better strap it up on Friday.

Tracey Robertson should be back soon for the DL. He should push someone there.

Honestly, I expect this team to push back regardless. If that last game doesn't embarrass them, then we have bigger problems.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    I addressed his wave antics earlier in the thread. The way to respond to it is to fight off your block then drive him into the turf like a tent peg.
    Easier said than done, he seems to regularly escape what be should be sacks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Muamba is worth every penny. He is a ratio changer. Muamba in at MLB even at the expense of Greg Jones, if necessary. We'll see in the next game, but to me the bubble players are the players who aren't making plays or wrapping up tackles. Hawkins, Agnew, Rolle, Tonye-Tonye, the Smith boys... had all better strap it up on Friday.

Tracey Robertson should be back soon for the DL. He should push someone there.

Honestly, I expect this team to push back regardless. If that last game doesn't embarrass them, then we have bigger problems.
    I thought tackling was better yesterday until the end of the game when Holly had some big runs, but the game was over by then. The problem was coverage, and as I mentioned earlier, the Cats seemed to know what D the Argos had dialed up on pretty much every play in the first half. Either they are showing their hands too early on pre-snap reads, or they are just too damn predictable. I'm guesing it's the latter.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 09-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Maybe we could load bonuses into 2016 on the assumption our QB costs will come down.
    Yes.

Muamba is worth every penny. He is a ratio changer. Muamba in at MLB even at the expense of Greg Jones, if necessary. We'll see in the next game, but to me the bubble players are the players who aren't making plays or wrapping up tackles. Hawkins, Agnew, Rolle, Tonye-Tonye, the Smith boys... had all better strap it up on Friday. Tracey Robertson should be back soon for the DL. He should push someone there. Honestly, I expect this team to push back regardless. If that last game doesn't embarrass them, then we have bigger problems.
    To say nothing of the non-bubble players who aren't making plays or wrapping up tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The problem was coverage, and as I mentioned earlier, the Cats seemed to know what D the Argos had dialed up on pretty much every play in the first half. Either they are showing their hands too early on pre-snap reads, or they are just too damn predictable. I'm guesing it's the latter.
    Please tell the coaching staff, AV, next time you attend practice : )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Muamba is worth every penny.
    I agree. But we don't know if we can outbid other teams, and at this point there is more evidence we cannot than hope we can.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    And while we are at it, can we get a return game back somehow? Why didn't this team claim Larry Taylor when he was on waivers?
    Why didn't this team sign Stephan Logan? Anything that precluded this, other than being asleep at the switch?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Why didn't this team sign Stephan Logan? Anything that precluded this, other than being asleep at the switch?
    Maybe having no money for free agents (other than Holmes, which was money well spent)? Maybe a belief we had a more than adequate returner in Owens? Maybe he didn't want to come here? Point is there could be a lot of reasons -- being asleep is just one possibility and IMO an unlikely possibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    We are 6-4 and after everything in this carpetbagger year, most of us would welcome the record.
    But, the team is in a mess right now and the year going forward weighs heavily on what happens Friday in the return match.
    Obviously the HC will not do anything in time for the game so I am not sure what miracles can occur with the lousy schemes on the porous defense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm good with Milanovich but would be fine with a new DC. I'm surprised just how bad the Argos were on Monday and agree that we'll see what kind of team they are based on their response this week. While they may not win, they better be much more competitive.

Is there a way to play Spencer??? Owens is a great player and the Argos need his veteran presence but Spencer is a better returner and has more speed and we sure could've used that on Monday!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Is there a way to play Spencer??? Owens is a great player and the Argos need his veteran presence but Spencer is a better returner and has more speed and we sure could've used that on Monday!
    Been through this recently. The only way to get him in is to sit another INT. Thr options are to sit another receiver, a RB, an o-lineman, a d-lineman or a LB. Based on how they use their personnel I don't see any of these as viable barring injury to a backup INT. And if Greenwood is out the chances decrease.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree that it's sad to not have Spencer in the lineup. The guy can be electric. Sit one of the big three who acts like a tool in the next game. They each take their turns playing great and then doing something very stupid.

I can't see us beating Hamilton with the way they have easily beaten us twice. Changes might be coming sooner then later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I like Spencer, but unless they change something up with their ratio, he sits. I wouldn't replace any of the starters with him when they are healthy.....then again, maybe you can move Coombs back to RB and dress him.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Milanovich chalked up the loss to "little details." I don't know how "little details" amount to a thirty point loss.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I like Spencer, but unless they change something up with their ratio, he sits. I wouldn't replace any of the starters with him when they are healthy.....then again, maybe you can move Coombs back to RB and dress him.
    Wouldn't you have to sit one of Kackert or Whitaker then?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Wouldn't you have to sit one of Kackert or Whitaker then?
    I'd have no problem sitting either one. Not like either is lighting the world on fire.