Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't see how anyone can confidently predict the media landscape six years from now. Many young people watch no TV of any sort, conventional or cable. Every piece of entertainment they consume is found via web connection. Six years is a lifetime in the current environment. To assume we will still have then what we have now is folly, IMO. Even the NFL, which owes its massive financial empire to "conventional" TV, is experimenting with a game streamed by Yahoo this season.
    The NFL leaves no stone unturned in finding ways to reach out to potential new fans, yet they will not be streaming every game on Yahoo and would never replace their current network TV coverage for Yahoo.

Leave it to people under 30 to prefer to watch a sports event on their 6 inch cellphone than on a 40 inch TV, and be foolish enough to maybe pay for it.

TV will be like radio, it's demise will be greatly exaggerated. Will it change, absolutely, but will it be a major way we watch entertainment, and especially sports...absolutely. Even if it's streamed by computer, you'll want to connect the signal to your Big Screen HD TV through HDMI or VGA. Every TV is now compatible for that and it's actually why OTA is more popular than ever....People don't think cable is worth it, unless your a sports fan. In many US markets, you can get upto 46 channels OTA without cable. If TV stations can still you get a great signal without the need to stream and lose signals while buffering, then it's conveniance for delivering the product will still make it viable.

As for attracting a new audience, yes you do want to attract a younger demographic, but people over 40 do generally have more money and have more to spend, so you should also concern yourself with still serving them while appealing to a younger demographic. Don't offend them like FOX did with hockey and the glowing puck, or what they did with Major League Baseball...they actually had a policy that insisted on broadcasters to not reference older legendary players of history on their broadcast. We all knew who Babe Ruth if we watched baseball because it was drilled in us through broadcasting stories by Vin Scully or Joe Garagiola as very few actually watched him....that would be like telling CFL broadcasters to never mention Russ Jackson, or Warren Moon and Doug Flutie when discussing great QB's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Again with the certitude. I'll wait and see, but I'm certainly not prepared to bet that what we now call over-the-air TV will exist at all, or in anything like its current form, six years from now. The pace of technological change is constantly accelerating. Six years is an eternity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Again with the certitude. I'll wait and see, but I'm certainly not prepared to bet that what we now call over-the-air TV will exist at all, or in anything like its current form, six years from now. The pace of technological change is constantly accelerating. Six years is an eternity.
    Hmmm

I get the analogy, just like tablets have REPLACED books.

(I'm pretty sure the written word/Hardcover, and soft are still pretty popular)
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021