Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I love the mentality from some on here--only the Argonauts and the CFL are allowed to have nice things. You bet we'd all prefer the Argonauts to get more attention, but I've never believed shitting on any other team (except Toronto FC perhaps ) is the way to accomplish that, but that is just me. Perhaps it is more of a generational thing as the Argos had already started their decline down the Toronto sports pecking order by the time I came of age.

But, you are generally correct Gill in that in Canada we love to hype things before they are actually ready to be hyped. I believe that it has affected both Milos Raonic and Eugenie Bouchard in tennis.
    Point is, prior to this year TSN never regionalized their coverage of the CFL by not showing it on one or even two of their default stations on basic cable, thus burying their product as Rocket, or Argo57 so succintly put it. TSN needs to be called out on it, especially when you notice they did not do it with yesterday's NFL opener. Of course that was on TSN1,3,4 and 5 as the bigwigs in Bristol, Connecticut ESPN's headquarters and on Manhattan's Madison Ave NFL headquarters would have had a fit.

Great TSN has 5 stations, or 4 regionalized signals available beyond the basic cable package, but why is it that their CFL coverage, one of their supposed big properties, is the only thing negatively affected by it through reduced coverage in Canadian households? When have you seen custom regional Canadian programming on these stations other than their blacked out NHL games beyond those regions. They show no regional Major Junior Hockey, no WHL or CWUAA University sports such as hockey or football on TSN1 or 3, no OHL hockey or OUA Football for example on TSN4, and no Quebec University Football or AUAA football along with possible QMJHL regionally on TSN5. Isn't that what these stations were purported to be for, yet Rogers Sportsnet has rights to all this Canadian content and they pay the CIS to virtually not expose their product.

I know this is the Orridge thread, but I feel as if this guy is part of the problem. When you have sports networks being bought by a conglomerate of a few corporations such as Rogers, Bellmedia (Bell Globe media at one time) and worse yet a foreign corporation like ESPN, it is bad for Canadian Broadcasting, sports, identity and culture when they run it on the cheap by simply syndicating not just live American feeds of sports programming, but worse yet, their woeful talk shows that regionally discuss NCAA football and basketball which carry little interest in Canada which TSN syndicates on their radio stations during prime time no less.

I say Orridge is part of this problem because here's a guy who as an American headed CBC sports and preceded to drive the production quality of HNIC to the ground during his tenure, removing legendary Canadian sportscasters that were synonymous with hockey or football coverage in Canada from coast to coast, like Chris Cuthbert for example. Was Geoffrey Orridge also at CBC when they pulled that stunt during their announcers strike in 2005 which saw them broadcast CFL games with no on-air announcers? If that hint wasn't enough for CFL owners, what do they do, they pick him as the commissioner...because he can get them adidas uniforms and US TV coverage on ESPN3 at the expense of limiting exposure to basic cable subscribers in Southern Ontario...but why should I be surprised as these are the same CFL owners who got rid of a passionate Canadian CFL commissioner in Mike Lysko under the direction of former Argo owner Sherwood Schwartz, a guy who eventually just walked away from the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Point is, prior to this year TSN never regionalized their coverage of the CFL by not showing it on one or even two of their default stations on basic cable, thus burying their product as Rocket, or Argo57 so succintly put it. TSN needs to be called out on it, especially when you notice they did not do it with yesterday's NFL opener. Of course that was on TSN1,3,4 and 5 as the bigwigs in Bristol, Connecticut ESPN's headquarters and on Manhattan's Madison Ave NFL headquarters would have had a fit.

Great TSN has 5 stations, or 4 regionalized signals available beyond the basic cable package, but why is it that their CFL coverage, one of their supposed big properties, is the only thing negatively affected by it through reduced coverage in Canadian households? When have you seen custom regional Canadian programming on these stations other than their blacked out NHL games beyond those regions. They show no regional Major Junior Hockey, no WHL or CWUAA University sports such as hockey or football on TSN1 or 3, no OHL hockey or OUA Football for example on TSN4, and no Quebec University Football or AUAA football along with possible QMJHL regionally on TSN5. Isn't that what these stations were purported to be for, yet Rogers Sportsnet has rights to all this Canadian content and they pay the CIS to virtually not expose their product.

I know this is the Orridge thread, but I feel as if this guy is part of the problem. When you have sports networks being bought by a conglomerate of a few corporations such as Rogers, Bellmedia (Bell Globe media at one time) and worse yet a foreign corporation like ESPN, it is bad for Canadian Broadcasting, sports, identity and culture when they run it on the cheap by simply syndicating not just live American feeds of sports programming, but worse yet, their woeful talk shows that regionally discuss NCAA football and basketball which carry little interest in Canada which TSN syndicates on their radio stations during prime time no less.

I say Orridge is part of this problem because here's a guy who as an American headed CBC sports and preceded to drive the production quality of HNIC to the ground during his tenure, removing legendary Canadian sportscasters that were synonymous with hockey or football coverage in Canada from coast to coast, like Chris Cuthbert for example. Was Geoffrey Orridge also at CBC when they pulled that stunt during their announcers strike in 2005 which saw them broadcast CFL games with no on-air announcers? If that hint wasn't enough for CFL owners, what do they do, they pick him as the commissioner...because he can get them adidas uniforms and US TV coverage on ESPN3 at the expense of limiting exposure to basic cable subscribers in Southern Ontario...but why should I be surprised as these are the same CFL owners who got rid of a passionate Canadian CFL commissioner in Mike Lysko under the direction of former Argo owner Sherwood Schwartz, a guy who eventually just walked away from the team.
    Orridge was not there when Cuthbert and Williams were let go by CBC not was he there when CBC treated the CFL so poorly. Scott Moore who, I believe, is still with Rogers was the guy in charge of CBC Sports when the league and that network had a strained relationship. I believe that Moore's predecessor, whom I can't remember, was responsible for Cuthbert's departure at least. And Orridge is probably a more devoted CFL fan than Lysko ever was. Lysko's knowledge of the league was really not that great when he took over as commissioner.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I believe that Moore's predecessor, whom I can't remember, was responsible for Cuthbert's departure at least.
    Nancy Lee.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    As if the 2013 deal wasn't bad enough, signing the extension looks even worse now, I don't expect things to change now until at least 2021, then I hope the league wakes up and goes with multiple networks and one that guarantees OTA coverage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Orridge is probably a more devoted CFL fan than Lysko ever was. Lysko's knowledge of the league was really not that great when he took over as commissioner.
    Probably still more knowledgeable than Sherwood Schwartz, the guy that the BOG listened to when they decided to turf him after such a short tenure. I thought Lysko was making the rounds around the league and media making the league more visible. Schwarts cries over Lysko's comments about him hiring Garth Drabinsky and the BOG overreacts and actually fires him. In hindsight, he was correct about the bad press that it got and Schwartz walked away from the Argos citing his wife forcing him to. All Lysko has done since is head UWO's athletics dept and helped build the Mustangs a new stadium...sounds like great supporter of Canadian Football, if not knowledgeable. Could've help UofT or York actually prop up the sport as their disgraceful football programs are just as responsible as bad Argo management and negative media coverage over the years in destroying the brand of this sport in the GTA. Orridge has only mentioned one player in the history of the league and it's a guy who hasn't played in the league in over 30 years. He could've mentioned Pinball's community service and his acceptance as an adopted Torontonian or cite Doug Flutie as other great players whom the CFL offered an oppurtunity to showcase their skills when they were not accepted in the NFL as more recent examples.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    As if the 2013 deal wasn't bad enough, signing the extension looks even worse now, I don't expect things to change now until at least 2021, then I hope the league wakes up and goes with multiple networks and one that guarantees OTA coverage.
    The way TSN is trending with their coverage of the league, they'll be just broadcasting games through tape delay on TSN2 by 2021. I have to admit I have serious reservations about the intentions of Bell and Tannenbaum in owning the Argonauts based on some of the inconsistencies from TSN covering the game on both their TV and radio stations. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll have to wait and see after this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Drabinsky is/was a FELON, a crook, a cheat. Lysko was 100% correct in his view.

Orridge needs to be given some time before we can judge his tenure. I think that he is a massive downgrade from Cohen, but hopefully he stays enthusiastic and focuses on building a young fan base. Us old farts arent going anywhere, and we like to bitch and complain, so please Mr Commish, dont waste any time or effort on the 40plus crowd
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Probably still more knowledgeable than Sherwood Schwartz, the guy that the BOG listened to when they decided to turf him after such a short tenure. I thought Lysko was making the rounds around the league and media making the league more visible. Schwarts cries over Lysko's comments about him hiring Garth Drabinsky and the BOG overreacts and actually fires him. .
    I think David Braley was the guy that got rid of Lysko, as well as Tom Wright. Everybody knows Braley was the #1 representative of the BOG and had the most clout.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think David Braley was the guy that got rid of Lysko, as well as Tom Wright. Everybody knows Braley was the #1 representative of the BOG and had the most clout.
    Lysko tryed not to be a puppet commish, and Braley led the "oust Lysko" movement for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    OTA may not exist in 2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    OTA may not exist in 2021.
    I'm betting it won't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm betting it won't.
    Canada is just to vast for Over The Air television to go away. If your city centric, you may not realize this truth. Again AV your correct. (dammit, haha)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't people realize that there are presently more Over-the-Air stations than ever with Digital HD.

I think people are confusing the demise of OTA with the old Analog OTA signals...Digital and Digital HD OTA are ever increasing especially HD OTA signals in the United States. All the major networks have an HD OTA signal and many are getting affiliated substations as their network parent companies are owning the rights to show movies and TV programs on these substations.

Presently with an average HD indoor Antenna, you can get about 25-30 channels give or take a few. Every network channel and most local channels on basic cable can be picked up over-the-air as well as specialty OTA American stations that are not even available on Canadian Cable. No sports channels are available as they are strictly cable networks. I was dependent on an HD indoor antenna before installing cable after a move and guess which sports leagues I was able to watch? The leagues that had coverage on OTA networks like the NHL on CBC, CITY, and NBC and the NFL on CBS, FOX, NBC Buffalo affiliates and on CTV Toronto and City Toronto. Had it not been the off-season for the CFL, I would not have not been able to watch the games but would've got my fill of sports courtesy of the NFL and NHL, which is why I'm really cognizant of not being on OTA. If sports stations were available OTA, many people would get rid of cable as many that are not sports fans already have. Therefore, it is an issue of the potential visibility that you get in households when you have broadcasts on a network that provides OTA access.

Didn't get much sports on the weekdays without cable, but got more than enough NHL and NFL on OTA stations on the weekends including every NFL playoff game with American commercials (not that I care about that) on the American signals. It's no wonder the NFL is the most popular league in the states, even if MLB rivals it in live total attendance (not avg game attendance). NFL acknowledges the access OTA networks provide, while MLB was having playoff games on cable networks with games not even available to cable viewers in Canada at one time.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 09-13-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Don't people realize that there are presently more Over-the-Air stations than ever with Digital HD.

I think people are confusing the demise of OTA with the old Analog OTA signals...Digital and Digital HD OTA are ever increasing especially HD OTA signals in the United States. All the major networks have an HD OTA signal and many are getting affiliated substations as their network parent companies are owning the rights to show movies and TV programs on these substations.

Presently with an average HD indoor Antenna, you can get about 25-30 channels give or take a few. Every network channel and most local channels on basic cable can be picked up over-the-air as well as specialty OTA American stations that are not even available on Canadian Cable. No sports channels are available as they are strictly cable networks. I was dependent on an HD indoor antenna before installing cable after a move and guess which sports leagues I was able to watch? The leagues that had coverage on OTA networks like the NHL on CBC, CITY, and NBC and the NFL on CBS, FOX, NBC Buffalo affiliates and on CTV Toronto and City Toronto. Had it not been the off-season for the CFL, I would not have not been able to watch the games but would've got my fill of sports courtesy of the NFL and NHL, which is why I'm really cognizant of not being on OTA. If sports stations were available OTA, many people would get rid of cable as many that are not sports fans already have. Therefore, it is an issue of the potential visibility that you get in households when you have broadcasts on a network that provides OTA access.

Didn't get much sports on the weekdays without cable, but got more than enough NHL and NFL on OTA stations on the weekends including every NFL playoff game with American commercials (not that I care about that) on the American signals. It's no wonder the NFL is the most popular league in the states, even if MLB rivals it in live total attendance (not avg game attendance). NFL acknowledges the access OTA networks provide, while MLB was having playoff games on cable networks with games not even available to cable viewers in Canada at one time.
    Further to what Gill is saying, here are a couple of recent articles that expand on his points:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle25977318/

http://business.financialpost.com/fp..._lsa=16b8-5d58

In relation to the first article, the reason why Orridge is the new commissioner is that he has as good of an understanding as anyone as to how younger people are consuming their media these days, including sports. That is why we are seeing him try to grow the CFL's presence on social media, mobile devices, etc.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Drabinsky is/was a FELON, a crook, a cheat. Lysko was 100% correct in his view.

Orridge needs to be given some time before we can judge his tenure. I think that he is a massive downgrade from Cohen, but hopefully he stays enthusiastic and focuses on building a young fan base. Us old farts arent going anywhere, and we like to bitch and complain, so please Mr Commish, dont waste any time or effort on the 40plus crowd
    all paying fans are worth the effort despite their age. Forget the 20 somethings, they are in a different headspace at that age (believe me i know). I paid little attention to the CFL in my 20s and became a convert in my 30s. This is why i say the CFL will always thrive despite not bringing in teens and 20 somethings. Its a league you just grow into.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So do you think Orridge orchestrated the TSN contract extension or was it already in place as an option once the Argo deal went through?
    Now knowing that all the games are not readily available without purchasing the full Tsn package, do you think Orridge made a deal where the CFL gets some of the new TSN full package monies dependant on the percentage decrease in viewing?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't see how anyone can confidently predict the media landscape six years from now. Many young people watch no TV of any sort, conventional or cable. Every piece of entertainment they consume is found via web connection. Six years is a lifetime in the current environment. To assume we will still have then what we have now is folly, IMO. Even the NFL, which owes its massive financial empire to "conventional" TV, is experimenting with a game streamed by Yahoo this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't see how anyone can confidently predict the media landscape six years from now. Many young people watch no TV of any sort, conventional or cable. Every piece of entertainment they consume is found via web connection. Six years is a lifetime in the current environment. To assume we will still have then what we have now is folly, IMO. Even the NFL, which owes its massive financial empire to "conventional" TV, is experimenting with a game streamed by Yahoo this season.
    The NFL leaves no stone unturned in finding ways to reach out to potential new fans, yet they will not be streaming every game on Yahoo and would never replace their current network TV coverage for Yahoo.

Leave it to people under 30 to prefer to watch a sports event on their 6 inch cellphone than on a 40 inch TV, and be foolish enough to maybe pay for it.

TV will be like radio, it's demise will be greatly exaggerated. Will it change, absolutely, but will it be a major way we watch entertainment, and especially sports...absolutely. Even if it's streamed by computer, you'll want to connect the signal to your Big Screen HD TV through HDMI or VGA. Every TV is now compatible for that and it's actually why OTA is more popular than ever....People don't think cable is worth it, unless your a sports fan. In many US markets, you can get upto 46 channels OTA without cable. If TV stations can still you get a great signal without the need to stream and lose signals while buffering, then it's conveniance for delivering the product will still make it viable.

As for attracting a new audience, yes you do want to attract a younger demographic, but people over 40 do generally have more money and have more to spend, so you should also concern yourself with still serving them while appealing to a younger demographic. Don't offend them like FOX did with hockey and the glowing puck, or what they did with Major League Baseball...they actually had a policy that insisted on broadcasters to not reference older legendary players of history on their broadcast. We all knew who Babe Ruth if we watched baseball because it was drilled in us through broadcasting stories by Vin Scully or Joe Garagiola as very few actually watched him....that would be like telling CFL broadcasters to never mention Russ Jackson, or Warren Moon and Doug Flutie when discussing great QB's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Again with the certitude. I'll wait and see, but I'm certainly not prepared to bet that what we now call over-the-air TV will exist at all, or in anything like its current form, six years from now. The pace of technological change is constantly accelerating. Six years is an eternity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Again with the certitude. I'll wait and see, but I'm certainly not prepared to bet that what we now call over-the-air TV will exist at all, or in anything like its current form, six years from now. The pace of technological change is constantly accelerating. Six years is an eternity.
    Hmmm

I get the analogy, just like tablets have REPLACED books.

(I'm pretty sure the written word/Hardcover, and soft are still pretty popular)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    While I'm still not completely sold on Orridge, I'll state the same thing I said the day he was hired. He has the resume, one would think he's built up his business contacts, knows and understands the digital age and how to get people engaged, has done a lot of marketing in the various businesses he's been involved with. In saying all that he needs time to figure this thing out and where to take the League. People often forget that the only thing Cohon did when he came into the job was get rid of the "our balls are bigger" slogan, it wasn't until later on that the amazing (IMO) "This is Our League" brand came out and helped push the league to the next level.