Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
I love the mentality from some on here--only the Argonauts and the CFL are allowed to have nice things. You bet we'd all prefer the Argonauts to get more attention, but I've never believed shitting on any other team (except Toronto FC perhaps ) is the way to accomplish that, but that is just me. Perhaps it is more of a generational thing as the Argos had already started their decline down the Toronto sports pecking order by the time I came of age.

But, you are generally correct Gill in that in Canada we love to hype things before they are actually ready to be hyped. I believe that it has affected both Milos Raonic and Eugenie Bouchard in tennis.
Point is, prior to this year TSN never regionalized their coverage of the CFL by not showing it on one or even two of their default stations on basic cable, thus burying their product as Rocket, or Argo57 so succintly put it. TSN needs to be called out on it, especially when you notice they did not do it with yesterday's NFL opener. Of course that was on TSN1,3,4 and 5 as the bigwigs in Bristol, Connecticut ESPN's headquarters and on Manhattan's Madison Ave NFL headquarters would have had a fit.

Great TSN has 5 stations, or 4 regionalized signals available beyond the basic cable package, but why is it that their CFL coverage, one of their supposed big properties, is the only thing negatively affected by it through reduced coverage in Canadian households? When have you seen custom regional Canadian programming on these stations other than their blacked out NHL games beyond those regions. They show no regional Major Junior Hockey, no WHL or CWUAA University sports such as hockey or football on TSN1 or 3, no OHL hockey or OUA Football for example on TSN4, and no Quebec University Football or AUAA football along with possible QMJHL regionally on TSN5. Isn't that what these stations were purported to be for, yet Rogers Sportsnet has rights to all this Canadian content and they pay the CIS to virtually not expose their product.

I know this is the Orridge thread, but I feel as if this guy is part of the problem. When you have sports networks being bought by a conglomerate of a few corporations such as Rogers, Bellmedia (Bell Globe media at one time) and worse yet a foreign corporation like ESPN, it is bad for Canadian Broadcasting, sports, identity and culture when they run it on the cheap by simply syndicating not just live American feeds of sports programming, but worse yet, their woeful talk shows that regionally discuss NCAA football and basketball which carry little interest in Canada which TSN syndicates on their radio stations during prime time no less.

I say Orridge is part of this problem because here's a guy who as an American headed CBC sports and preceded to drive the production quality of HNIC to the ground during his tenure, removing legendary Canadian sportscasters that were synonymous with hockey or football coverage in Canada from coast to coast, like Chris Cuthbert for example. Was Geoffrey Orridge also at CBC when they pulled that stunt during their announcers strike in 2005 which saw them broadcast CFL games with no on-air announcers? If that hint wasn't enough for CFL owners, what do they do, they pick him as the commissioner...because he can get them adidas uniforms and US TV coverage on ESPN3 at the expense of limiting exposure to basic cable subscribers in Southern Ontario...but why should I be surprised as these are the same CFL owners who got rid of a passionate Canadian CFL commissioner in Mike Lysko under the direction of former Argo owner Sherwood Schwartz, a guy who eventually just walked away from the team.