Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Dwindling Argos Attendance Problem - No Promotion

It is no secret the the Argos have gutted their Marketing & Promotions Department. Presuming that Argos exist in the Entertainment Industry, this goes a long way to explaining the dwindling attendance. Hollywood is in the business of constantly introducing new entertainment offerings. On average, for every one dollar outplayed in production, they spend $0.50 in promotions (attached). One third of the operational cost is directed towards promotion.

It strikes me that the only promotion I see for the Argos is through Social Media sites and TSN's radio and TV outlets. Don't look for any changes in attendance until the Argos invest in it. Argos operate in a crowded, sports markets that have large promotional budgets. The Argos will never be able to match the resources available to those in this market, but have to match their promotional budget with the industry not ignore it.

If ever there was a correlation between attendance and promotion, the Argos have demonstrated it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...65A13Q20100611

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    It is no secret the the Argos have gutted their Marketing & Promotions Department. Presuming that Argos exist in the Entertainment Industry, this goes a long way to explaining the dwindling attendance. Hollywood is in the business of constantly introducing new entertainment offerings. On average, for every one dollar outplayed in production, they spend $0.50 in promotions (attached). One third of the operational cost is directed towards promotion.

It strikes me that the only promotion I see for the Argos is through Social Media sites and TSN's radio and TV outlets. Don't look for any changes in attendance until the Argos invest in it. Argos operate in a crowded, sports markets that have large promotional budgets. The Argos will never be able to match the resources available to those in this market, but have to match their promotional budget with the industry not ignore it.

If ever there was a correlation between attendance and promotion, the Argos have demonstrated it.

You are preaching to the choir 71GC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    And it frankly does not matter. Braley has lost enough $ keeping this team alive until the new era begins. Spending more just to please a few fans who care what attendance numbers are is not worth it for him considering the team's future is bright and secure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    And it frankly does not matter. Braley has lost enough $ keeping this team alive until the new era begins. Spending more just to please a few fans who care what attendance numbers are is not worth it for him considering the team's future is bright and secure.
    True, why would he change now??
    Live with it and wait until next season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The team also advertises regularly in the Sun, and took out several ads for Friday's game in the Hamilton Spectator. But clearly the amount of money available for marketing is negligible.

I'm not as comfortable as some others that nothing matters this year, the future is secure, etc. While the new owners are well-heeled and I believe will put money and effort into selling the product, I think it is going to be a lot harder than anyone anticipated, especially if we lose more home games this fall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    How many home games do the Argos have left this season to promote anyway? I suspect that their next "home" game will be played in Ottawa on or around Oct. 6th.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The team also advertises regularly in the Sun, and took out several ads for Friday's game in the Hamilton Spectator. But clearly the amount of money available for marketing is negligible.

I'm not as comfortable as some others that nothing matters this year, the future is secure, etc. While the new owners are well-heeled and I believe will put money and effort into selling the product, I think it is going to be a lot harder than anyone anticipated, especially if we lose more home games this fall.
    30+ years of neglect will not be erased in one season, this will be a work in progress!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    And the decline is progressing very rapidly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    When promotion begins, do you target existing football fans or create a new fan base, Millenials?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Yeah attendance has been going downhill for a while now:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...ar-(2013-2014)

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well I've already met people excited about BMO. This year is a write off!! Braley is an old bag of crap in my books. I'm just Mr Happy. haha.

I know The Argonauts have fans who all remember fun times at CNE. I'm sure we'll be seeing new faces or at least those who go will be seeing them. We have to seriously decide whether to do the seasons next year. No point in having gameday feel like a shite job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interestingly, having reviewed the Western Division football clubs publicly available annual reports, they seem to currently spend $10 - $12 million on football operations and $5 - $7 million on Admin and promotion. That is in line with Hollywood product to promotion ratio.

While the Argos won't publish expenses next year, I expect to see visible promotion and I expect this to start just after the Grey Cup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Well I've already met people excited about BMO. This year is a write off!! Braley is an old bag of crap in my books. I'm just Mr Happy. haha.

I know The Argonauts have fans who all remember fun times at CNE. I'm sure we'll be seeing new faces or at least those who go will be seeing them. We have to seriously decide whether to do the seasons next year. No point in having gameday feel like a shite job.
    In my late teens and early 20's, the rain/cold at the EX was no problem, (now just turning 50), i'd be far less excited about bundling up for 3 hours in a damp cold. That said, if i was still in TO i'd try to relive the CNE magic from my youth.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I think they have to target the youth and actually get more youth playing football. I grew up in the East End on the Danforth and there were no football leagues in the area and no high schools which had a football team. Toronto isn't a Football city, hardly anyone actually plays. I think the Argos and the CFL should try to get more kids playing Football in the city and create their own youth leagues. I would hit the hockey rinks and to promote the leagues and get kids registered for a spring and summer league. Give every registered player a free ticket or two to an Argo game and 50% of any youth tickets for the rest of the season. The decline of high school football in Toronto has not helped the Argos and CFL in general.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobythor View Post
    I think they have to target the youth and actually get more youth playing football. I grew up in the East End on the Danforth and there were no football leagues in the area and no high schools which had a football team. Toronto isn't a Football city, hardly anyone actually plays. I think the Argos and the CFL should try to get more kids playing Football in the city and create their own youth leagues. I would hit the hockey rinks and to promote the leagues and get kids registered for a spring and summer league. Give every registered player a free ticket or two to an Argo game and 50% of any youth tickets for the rest of the season. The decline of high school football in Toronto has not helped the Argos and CFL in general.
    Many parents and kids are avoiding playing football due to concussion (and other ) injury risks.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos have done plenty in the last number of years getting football back in many Toronto schools. Problem is many of the kids follow the No Fun League. Marketing works just ask all the sheep that hit bars on Sundays to watch and gamble. NFL has lost me. Make a huge deal about air in a ball when a bunch of true criminals hit the field every week and make millions upon millions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Many parents and kids are avoiding playing football due to concussion (and other ) injury risks.
    Believe it or not, organized soccer has also been noted as a concussion risk due to the repetitive nature of playing balls off the head, yet you never hear any publicity about that compared to gridiron football. Sliding cleats across the shins and and ankles is no picnic either as is fighting for position in the box on set pieces in organized soccer (elbows are usually flying near skulls on every jump). Every sport where their is some of form of mano to mano contact carries some risk. Football's is obviously evident especially on the lines, but is it better to not have kids in any of these physical activities. Lineman tend to be big boys who if they did not play football, may not be active or playing sports at all. Is that any healthier?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Believe it or not, organized soccer has also been noted as a concussion risk due to the repetitive nature of playing balls off the head, yet you never hear any publicity about that compared to gridiron football. Sliding cleats across the shins and and ankles is no picnic either as is fighting for position in the box on set pieces in organized soccer (elbows are usually flying near skulls on every jump). Every sport where their is some of form of mano to mano contact carries some risk. Football's is obviously evident especially on the lines, but is it better to not have kids in any of these physical activities. Lineman tend to be big boys who if they did not play football, may not be active or playing sports at all. Is that any healthier?
    Agree! Soccer and hockey have concussion issues associated with the sport.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Preaching to the choir on this one, our society tends to try and wrap our kids in cotton to protect them from any and all risks, but sometimes you have to let them live and enjoy their lives and be physically active as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Apparently only about a third of soccer concussions are from heading the ball:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/health...soccer-safety/

Remember that soccer players don't wear helmets either.

Agree! Soccer and hockey have concussion issues associated with the sport.
    Our sons have played hockey, basketball and soccer at the rep and house league levels. They've also done martial arts at a non competitive level. Our youngest will be trying flag football in a couple of months. For us the issue is that all of those sports can be played as non contact or limited contact. Real football can not, there is contact on every play and as much as we love football that's just not a risk that we're willing to take for our kids recreational sports. We have also spoke with a couple of former CFL players and asked them if they would let their kids play football. They both said no. Small sample size I know but we think that it says a lot.