Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ray time

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    My thinking earlier in the season when the Argos got off to the hot start was that if Harris continued playing at that level and the team continued to win then Harris needed to hold onto the starter's job. My thinking also was that the Argos would have a tougher decision obviously if Harris began to struggle The Argos have lost three straight and Harris has struggled arguably in all but 2 quarters of those games. I have no objections to giving Ricky Ray his shot to see if he can't give opposing defenses a different look. My worry, however, is that Harris and Ray don't seem like their QB style differs greatly therefore it isn't as hard for teams to game plan as opposed to the Barnes-Holloway duo.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    They scored a TD on their second drive last game and so I think they've placed an emphasis on getting off to a better start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    My worry, however, is that Harris and Ray don't seem like their QB style differs greatly therefore it isn't as hard for teams to game plan as opposed to the Barnes-Holloway duo.
    Don't disagree, but Ray also sees things quicker than Harris at this point. Quicker decisions also make the O-line look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    They scored a TD on their second drive last game and so I think they've placed an emphasis on getting off to a better start.
    Yes they did, but I'm not talking about a drive here and there. Overall, it was still a rough first half and that has become way too common for this team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I do believe Harris has a great future, but do we not need to look at the slow starts he has had? Falling behind is not a great recipe for success, and although we all complain about the D, the O really needs to get of to a faster start and stop this playing from behing thing before picking it up. For that reason especially, I say you need to start Ray if he is ready to play. deals.
    There were also slow starts when Collaros was here, well at least during that 4 game road trip that essentially started Collaros CFL career. Happens when Ray is playing as well, just not as often as we've seen this season and the offence does seem to run more efficiently when Ray is in. Maybe some of the blame should be shifted elsewhere, instead of "taking what the defence gives them", I'd actually like to see Milo & Co. coach to win. Have the offense dictate what happens on the field, not just show up out of desperation in the 2nd half or only the 4th quarter.

LOL, I swear I'm turning into a one trick pony around here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    There were also slow starts when Collaros was here, well at least during that 4 game road trip that essentially started Collaros CFL career. Happens when Ray is playing as well, just not as often as we've seen this season and the offence does seem to run more efficiently when Ray is in. Maybe some of the blame should be shifted elsewhere, instead of "taking what the defence gives them", I'd actually like to see Milo & Co. coach to win. Have the offense dictate what happens on the field, not just show up out of desperation in the 2nd half or only the 4th quarter.
    Taking what the decence gives them to me is just a cliche. We would all like to see the Argos go deep more often, and I believe under Ray they would. When you see a 1 on 1 match up, that is when you have to take your shots deep. I think Harris might not recognize these match ups as quickly as Ray would. They actually have some big receivers now that can also win 1 on 1 battles. I think Ray would really take more advantage of that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Taking what the decence gives them to me is just a cliche. We would all like to see the Argos go deep more often, and I believe under Ray they would. When you see a 1 on 1 match up, that is when you have to take your shots deep. I think Harris might not recognize these match ups as quickly as Ray would. They actually have some big receivers now that can also win 1 on 1 battles. I think Ray would really take more advantage of that.
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. The offence under Ray seems to move up the field a lot better and wit more efficiency, but at the same time, the system and play calling issue rears its ugly head as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Trevor needs to learn a few veteran tricks. He needs to watch old pros like Ricky, Burris. He is a little wooden yet. You've got to sell the fake, you can't hyper focus on the intended receiver. Pump fake, use the cadence to pull guys offside, etc. etc

Work in progress, but very promising leadership qualities. He's a good starter in the CFL. Next step; very good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Trevor needs to learn a few veteran tricks. He needs to watch old pros like Ricky, Burris. He is a little wooden yet. You've got to sell the fake, you can't hyper focus on the intended receiver. Pump fake, use the cadence to pull guys offside, etc. etc

Work in progress, but very promising leadership qualities. He's a good starter in the CFL. Next step; very good.

Can't disagree with that. I think next year and for the coming years, the game will move a lot slower for him, and he'll be able to see where he has the 1 on 1 match-ups a lot quicker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is there any chance Ricky Ray never comes back? It was shocking news when he went on 6 game injury list to start the season. He has been throwing for a couple of months now and still at only 85% at Week 13. Any thoughts?

If he doesn't return in 2015, what move do the Argos make for 2016?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    As a pending FA, I can't see him getting the same money he is currently making, especially if he doesn't come back and perform this year. Chances are, he may retire if that happens. I am still hoping he heels, and the Argos find a way to re-sign both he and Harris. You need depth at QB in today's football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Is there any chance Ricky Ray never comes back? It was shocking news when he went on 6 game injury list to start the season. He has been throwing for a couple of months now and still at only 85% at Week 13. Any thoughts?

If he doesn't return in 2015, what move do the Argos make for 2016?
    I think it is more about what move that Ricky might make. As you say, it is now week 13 and he is still only 85 % to go ... and that is 85% to go prior to any contact. At this point Ricky must be wondering about his future, and I'm sure that thoughts of retirement have been given serious consideration. He knows that he is on the Active Roster purely for budgetary reasons and not because he is ready to contribute in any meaningful manner. I truly do not believe that Ricky will want to come back if he can't be at least as good as he was during 2014.
    If he decides to make a comeback in 2016, and if he doesn't play this year it will be a comeback, he surely won't expect a high end guaranteed contract, but something more incentive driven ---or is my thinking all wrong ?
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    If he decides to make a comeback in 2016, and if he doesn't play this year it will be a comeback, he surely won't expect a high end guaranteed contract, but something more incentive driven ---or is my thinking all wrong ?
    I don't think any athlete who has played at his level would ever "expect" an incentive-laden contract. He may be forced to accept one eventually, but I really doubt he is already thinking like that. I expect he is thinking along the lines of: good QBs are at a premium, especially these days; my body has had a year of no wear and tear; I can still fling it better than most; I've won three Grey Cups; I'm a lot younger than Henry who is still making good money; someone will offer me a deal in the $350-400k range. May or may not be true but I bet that is what he is thinking. If not, his agent will try to push him in that direction. It's business for these guys -- even good dudes like Ricky try to get their maximum value.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think Ray just wants his shoulder to heal to 100%. He'll be back and has plenty left. He won't retire like this. I've had shoulder issues for years. I toss peanuts to squirrels and chipmunks and my shoulder get sore. I can't imagine being a pro qb. Ray is a certain Hall Of Fame qb and I'd love to see him back on the field wearing double blue. No one can drop a ball into a receivers waiting arms like Ray.

Hopefully we come back happy and healthy next year for our first season at BMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As a pending FA, I can't see him getting the same money he is currently making, especially if he doesn't come back and perform this year. Chances are, he may retire if that happens. I am still hopinyg he heels, and the Argos find a way to re-sign both he and Harris. You need depth at QB in today's football.
    That's how I see it Angelo.
    Teams may offer him a bonus laden contract based on games played etc.
    If he is willing to look at this type of deal would be great to see him return but the present and future is Harris.
    Looking ahead I really hope the Argonauts have a good recruiting year at QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't think any athlete who has played at his level would ever "expect" an incentive-laden contract. He may be forced to accept one eventually, but I really doubt he is already thinking like that. I expect he is thinking along the lines of: good QBs are at a premium, especially these days; my body has had a year of no wear and tear; I can still fling it better than most; I've won three Grey Cups; I'm a lot younger than Henry who is still making good money; someone will offer me a deal in the $350-400k range. May or may not be true but I bet that is what he is thinking. If not, his agent will try to push him in that direction. It's business for these guys -- even good dudes like Ricky try to get their maximum value.
    Perhaps "expect" is the wrong word here. It is more like 'settle for'. We really are not talking vast differences in numbers. When I talk of an incentive laden contract for Ricky, I would presume a base of $250-350K,. which is not far from your $350-400K. Lets remember that we would be talking about a player who had not played for a year, with at least some chance that he will not be able to perform and withstand contact. There is a definite downside risk to signing him to a guaranteed contract of say $500-550K which is what I was referring to.
    One oar still in the water !

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I suspect Ray will sign for a lower amount - perhaps incentive heavy contract with a team facing uncertainty at QB next year. I would include BC and Saskatchewan based on the health questions of their own starters. Montreal as an outside chance, but now that AC is running the offense, I could see that happening as well.
    Support CFL league & team sponsors by buying their stuff!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Why is everyone assuming that Ray is going to be the one that leaves ?

Also thought this might be of interest.
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/argos-qb...-action~712598

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Why is everyone assuming that Ray is going to be the one that leaves ?

Also thought this might be of interest.
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/argos-qb...-action~712598
    I don't think he will leave unless he decides to retire. I still believe the Argos will find a way to keep both him and Harris if Ray fully recovers. As I mentioned, you need 2 start worthy QB's on your roster in today's game of football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just "celebrated" my first anniversary since my grade 3 separation and still amazed how much healing I have to do. The most complex of places to Injure, I sadly think Ray Is finished and totally hope he proves me wrong.

I remember 2 months back thinking he would never be ready to go by October and think he would be wise to pass on this season and give himself the extra 7 months to be where he needs to be so he is ready for opening day at BMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This article is questioning the same thing. Is Ricky Ray just back to where he was last season and playing with pain http://on.cfl.ca/SDCI5