Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Super fun stuff.

How the heck did we become such a deadly red-zone team this year? I guess Harris has to get most of the credit; he doesn't seem to play cautiously (to protect the FG attempt), but really wants the six points. And part of it must be that we've been behind a lot, so there has been extra motivation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This was a much better game than the NFL's Monday nighter yesterday. 6 lead changes, miraculous catch on a final minute game winning drive! Great entertainment value!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Super fun stuff.

How the heck did we become such a deadly red-zone team this year? I guess Harris has to get most of the credit; he doesn't seem to play cautiously (to protect the FG attempt), but really wants the six points. And part of it must be that we've been behind a lot, so there has been extra motivation.
    I don't put that on Harris because that implies Ray didn't really want the 6. Harris does have a far superior receiving corps than Ray had and that leads to more finishes IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I say when it comes to playoff time the TiCats better not rest on their laurels if the Argos happen to slip past Ottawa again because the east is up for grabs now.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That was probably the greatest catch in the history of the Argos. I'm dead serious. Name a better one.
    Ha, ha. Funny.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Not to complain but wouldn't it be nice to win in a blowout, my nerves are shot watching this team.
    You'll be thankful for these close victories in the playoffs. A team learns more about itself in close games, not blowouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Easy there. What did Harris do that game that Ricky can't, besides throwing two picks in a short amount of time? If it were Ricky throwing to Owens there, the catch would not have needed to look spectacular.
    First off awesome win…nice pressure from the front 4…need to cut down the penalties.

Let's see, Harris has played every game this year so far. Something Ray has not done as an Argo.
    Harris used his feet to move the pocket and make some nice plays. Sorry Ray does not move the pocket that much.
    Harris scrambled for a couple of first downs, and that keeps the defense honest. No scramble threat from Ray.
    Who else in the league has a second string QB throw 5 TD’s in a game!

This is an end of the year debate. But they can't afford to lose Harris over Ray.
    Ideally Ray comes back with a lower base salary with incentives based on starts, stats etc.
    Harris gets a nice base contract with the same incentives based on starts, stats etc.
    Whoever wins the starting job and wins games, keeps it.
    If Ray feels he wants guaranteed starter money, then that's not worth it to lose Harris in my opinion.

Don
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    You'll be thankful for these close victories in the playoffs. A team learns more about itself in close games, not blowouts.
    7 out of the 8 Argo wins have been close games, I suspect they've learnt plenty
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Easy there. What did Harris do that game that Ricky can't, besides throwing two picks in a short amount of time? If it were Ricky throwing to Owens there, the catch would not have needed to look spectacular.
    While I was hesitant as to whether Harris could carry us this year results, and last night's game, don't lie. While I appreciate everything Ray did for the team he is a glass cannon. I think it' time to take Harris seriously as #1.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Ha, ha. Funny.
    What part of "Name a better one" did you miss?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It worked fine last week, but it required sitting either Hazelton or Spencer or Kackert. I've seen enough from the first two to want then both in the lineup, and I firmly believe we need two capable RBs on the game roster. I'd like to have M Palardy punting again this week (altho as with any player I'm hesitant to anoint him as a star based on a single game) but I think what we get from keeping Spencer in the lineup outweighs the potential dropoff in punting. If it turns out I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it.

We are forced to use two kickers on the active roster because none of the healthy kickers we have can do all three jobs. That was not the case when Waters was healthy -- there was no reason to dress Pfeffer. We could have kept him on the 46 but it would have been at the expense of someone else we wouldn't want to lose. We've been over this before and obviously we disagree on how the roster should have been managed.

As for Steele, I think you may be understating his value. He was a demon on kick coverage the past two years, when he also played a lot of RB. Kackert also played ST last week. If we're afraid of injuring a backup RB by having him cover kicks, we may as well not play the game. Even with a relatively huge 44-man roster, good players -- including a lot of starters -- need to play special teams. Steele is a more-than-adequate guy to spell Whitaker in the backfield -- he blocks well, can catch and can make tacklers miss.

Black's first game at LB was rough but he was very sound last week.
    Following up on this. IMO Alix was a mild dropoff from M Palardy on punts, but was OK in that dept. Huge dropoff on kickoffs, tho.

Spencer didn't have a huge impact on the game but I still think having him dressed gives us our best possible lineup on offence.

I wonder if Steele got hurt again. After an early kick return I didn't see him again and at one point we had Owusu-Ansah returning kickoffs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    First off awesome win…nice pressure from the front 4…need to cut down the penalties.

Let's see, Harris has played every game this year so far. Something Ray has not done as an Argo.
    Harris used his feet to move the pocket and make some nice plays. Sorry Ray does not move the pocket that much.
    Harris scrambled for a couple of first downs, and that keeps the defense honest. No scramble threat from Ray.
    Who else in the league has a second string QB throw 5 TD’s in a game!

This is an end of the year debate. But they can't afford to lose Harris over Ray.
    Ideally Ray comes back with a lower base salary with incentives based on starts, stats etc.
    Harris gets a nice base contract with the same incentives based on starts, stats etc.
    Whoever wins the starting job and wins games, keeps it.
    If Ray feels he wants guaranteed starter money, then that's not worth it to lose Harris in my opinion.
    Precisely. Easy to say RR would have thrown a better ball to Owens, and maybe he would have. But he almost certainly would not have moved the chains with 11-yard runs on second down, which Harris did twice. And I doubt he would be able to throw as accurately off rollouts as Harris did last night. I, too, hope we can find a way to keep both QBs for the next few seasons, but any doubts I had about making Harris a generous offer to stay have been erased.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Precisely. Easy to say RR would have thrown a better ball to Owens, and maybe he would have. But he almost certainly would not have moved the chains with 11-yard runs on second down, which Harris did twice. And I doubt he would be able to throw as accurately off rollouts as Harris did last night. I, too, hope we can find a way to keep both QBs for the next few seasons, but any doubts I had about making Harris a generous offer to stay have been erased.
    It'd be wonderful to keep Ray next season as the backup if the deal makes financial sense. Harris - Toronto Argonauts' starting quarterback - won't be going anywhere else (unless he wants to).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Super fun stuff.

I think having 3 really big, thalented receivers also helps. But I agree, Harris has been outstanding. Nothing seems to rattle him.

+1 on this. I would love to see both signed. As we know, you are only 1 QB injury from kissing a season goodbye without depth.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    What part of "Name a better one" did you miss?
    Ya, the best catch since 1873! Like I said, funny!

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    It'd be wonderful to keep Ray next season as the backup if the deal makes financial sense. Harris - Toronto Argonauts' starting quarterback - won't be going anywhere else (unless he wants to).
    Withthe current need for QB1 across the league I would be shocked if he doesnt consider all options and go with the highest bidder

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Ya, the best catch since 1873! Like I said, funny!
    Again, I am open to suggestions of better catches -- feel free to make one. I've been watching closely since 1977 and don't recall any. Do you?

There were no catches in 1873 -- the forward pass did not arrive in Cdn football until 1929. There may have been better catches by an Argonaut between 1929 and 1977 but I doubt it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Again, I am open to suggestions of better catches -- feel free to make one. I've been watching closely since 1977 and don't recall any. Do you?

There were no catches in 1873 -- the forward pass did not arrive in Cdn football until 1929. There may have been better catches by an Argonaut between 1929 and 1977 but I doubt it.
    The only catch in recent memory that I find to be as good (and perhaps even better) was SJ Green's catch in OT back of the end zone at Regina..forget the year, but it was something.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The sack "penalty" was a completely idiotic call, late whistle and the ref standing 10 feet from the sack could see that it was a clean play, Laing reacted as most of would, the penalty late in the game however was pretty boneheaded.
    With Laing you have a talented player who plays on the edge and I guess you ultimately take the good with the bad.
    Did anyone actually see what Laing did on the late call? Forde immediately criticized him but I don't think we ever saw a replay.

Surprised that nothing is being made of the missed kick-out-of-bound call. Matt Black had it right and the refs completely missed it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The only catch in recent memory that I find to be as good (and perhaps even better) was SJ Green's catch in OT back of the end zone at Regina..forget the year, but it was something.
    Yes, but not for the Argos.