Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree with all of that, but IMO an import kicker is a luxury that works only if he does all three jobs. By dressing Alix we can get both Hazelton and Spencer into the lineup. I'm good with that, but sure hope Alix punts close to as well as MPalardy did last week.

Yes it's a gamble, I do see the reason to have Hazleton back and Spencer played well so he could not sit.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree with all of that, but IMO an import kicker is a luxury that works only if he does all three jobs. By dressing Alix we can get both Hazelton and Spencer into the lineup. I'm good with that, but sure hope Alix punts close to as well as MPalardy did last week.
    So we had an import kicker last week who didn't do all three jobs, and we had one of our best games of the year. However, by your reasoning, that can't work? It just did.

You have also suggested that having two kickers (Waters and Pfeffer) on the active roster is a defeatist strategy, and now we're forced to use two kickers on the game day roster.

Also, (and I'm not the first person to say this), there would be other ways to get both Spencer and Hazelton into the lineup. We don't need to dress two internationals at RB. If Whitaker is the starter, Anthony Coombs and Brendan Gillanders could both be given the odd carry. I don't think Coombs is durable enough to be the full-time starter at RB, but he wouldn't have to be. With respect to Gillanders, he could also help out at RB and give the team a good change-of-pace at that position, as he has a different style and is bigger than our other RBs.

I'm not assuming this, but Gillanders could potentially be a more effective ball carrier than any RB on the Argonaut roster. When I watch Gillanders play, he looks very strong and he has a motor. His style of play suggests he could very likely be an effective ball carrier, not just blocker and receiver out-of-the-backfield. I like that Milanovich has involved him in the passing game a tiny bit, but he needs to touch the ball more often.

Milanovich said of Gillanders that he "isn't really a FB, and he isn't really a RB", and suggested they were trying to find more ways to get him involved. Why not use him at RB? Milanovich always seems to favour small international RBs. There is no law that states "all RBs who line up in the CFL must be internationals and must be small and very elusive type RBs." Gillanders is 5'11, 211 lbs. That's a tiny bit smaller than Anthony Woodson, who is a RB. If the team couldn't or wouldn't sign Jerome Messam and/or Anthony Woodson, use Coombs and Gillanders, along with Whitaker.

I realize the budget has been an issue this year, but you really have to hand it to Milanovich. He made yet another backwards decision by letting Michael Palardy go. I don't know almost anything about the new punter the team has signed, but if consistency has been an issue with his punting, why take the huge risk of letting Michael Palardy go? He showed great distance, hang-time, accuracy and consistency. Having a great punter is much more important than dressing one more international receiver or a second international RB.

I like that we are dressing Spencer (who can also return kicks) and Hazelton, but I think that Curtis Steele is less important to the team than Michael Palardy. The running game has been a disaster this year, and I don't see how dressing someone in Steele who has always been just okay will really improve things much. Ball security has been a bit of an issue with Curtis Steele, and other than his big game that he started versus BC at home in 2013, Steele has been average. He isn't very durable, and is elusive but isn't the kind of RB who can consistently grind out the tough yards when needed. Neither is Whitaker.

No starting RB on this team got a TD until game 11. As far as productive games from RBs go, we've gotten one big game from Whitaker in week 1, one pretty big game from Kackert in his first game back and one decent game from Whitaker last week. That's it. Both Kackert and Whitaker are near the end of their careers, Josey didn't show anything in the regular season and Steele hasn't played all year and is just okay. We have depth, but none of our RBs have been consistently effective with a limited number of touches. Also, to be fair, none have been given a chance to prove they can be better with a heavier workload. In the 3 effective games by our RBs, each time the RB had at least or close to 15 touches I believe, if you combine their number of carries and receptions. However, that often-effective strategy has rarely been employed.

I realize Steele is a great player on special teams, but it is a pretty big risk to play one of your two starting RBs on special teams. Can't another player do that job? Last year he missed time late in the year due to a concussion he sustained playing special teams in Montreal if I recall correctly. That was on the first play of that game. I guess the team feels it's worth the risk, as they are in a tight race.

Milanovich did mention the issue of roster flexibility when dressing an international kicker to do just punting. I just feel he could be a little bit more creative with how he uses his roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    This article discusses how important this game is to the Argos and the fact that it is now Harris's, not Ricky Ray's, team.

There’s a lot at stake Tuesday night in Ottawa when the Argos return for what is technically a home game for Toronto.
    A win by the Argos and the East will feature a three-way tie following Hamilton’s late-game collapse Friday night to visiting Calgary.
    The RedBlacks and Ticats then play a home and home, while the Argos should be benefitting from a home-friendly end to the season, only there is no place to call home for this nomadic team.
    Given the position he plays, when Harris is on the Argos are in a position to win games.
    There was a three-game losing streak when Harris wasn’t good, but he wasn’t alone as the Argos never could summon their best in a defeat to Edmonton and back-to-back setbacks against the Ticats.
    The Argos, meanwhile, will remain Harris’ team.
    Ricky Ray, still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, is looking much better in workouts, and the Argos are hoping he can be ready to enter a game if Harris gets injured.
    Ottawa is riding the hot arm of Henry Burris, but getting pressure on Harris is paramount on Tuesday.
    The Redblacks are coming off a short week, having played host to a listless Alouettes team Thursday night, while the Argos are once again rested and getting healthier.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/03...o-keep-in-step

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Whatever you think of Brandon Isaac, you have to admit that he has gone through a lot. His comments show he has matured as a person in facing adversity. I'm glad he's back for the Ottawa game.

With so much adversity tossed in his direction, overcoming tears in his hamstring and knee seemed minor compared to the family and personal travails Brandon Isaac has been forced to deal with the past few seasons.
    His spirit remains strong and Isaac’s younger brother, left paralyzed following a car accident, is showing signs of progress.
    Isaac’s wife is carrying the couple’s first child, a girl, while the veteran linebacker is poised to return to the lineup for the first time since his injury against Ottawa on Aug. 23.
    “I’m feeling great, but I’ve been out a little while,’’ said Isaac, a veteran piece on defence the Argos have missed. “There are things I’ve got to get used to. My timing is still pretty good, but my man-to-man coverage has to get a lot better. I’m moving around, making things happen.
    “The defence is playing well. I thought we played well against Henry (Ottawa QB Burris), but he’s on fire, right now. Hopefully we can contain him again next Tuesday.”
    When Ottawa came to Toronto earlier in the year, Burris was near flawless, but the Argos defence not yield a receiving major. Still, he did complete 32 of 36 passes for 426 yards.
    Isaac got hurt in that one, came to the sidelines and then re-entered the game. It was later revealed he had an MCL tear and a hamstring tear. Once the swelling subsided, Isaac spent his time strengthening the knee and hamstring. “It still needs it (strengthening), but I feel I’m in a position where I can get out there and help the team out,’’ he said. “It was a Grade 1 tear, meaning no surgery was required.”
    It’s no coincidence the Argos looked lost in losing three straight without Isaac until the team bounced back with a win in Ottawa.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/03...o-keep-in-step

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Seems there will be a few changes ..... probably good to give the Argos a different look ..... hope they can get the W

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

(PDF version)

Isaac and Steele are back, and Kackert and Agnew are out. Spencer is listed in Coombs' spot, and it does indeed appear that Hazelton is back as our boundary WR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Presumably Mitchell and B. Smith as the inactives.

Achievements:

Level
    Sounds reasonable.

I can't remember the last time we only started three Nationals on offense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Sounds reasonable.

I can't remember the last time we only started three Nationals on offense.
    I would expect to see a rotation and Coombs still to get plenty of action..unless he has a nagging injury we are not aware of.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I would expect to see a rotation and Coombs still to get plenty of action..unless he has a nagging injury we are not aware of.
    And Argo player with an injury that the fans are unaware of? I guess that's possible.....

Achievements:

Level
    41-17 Argos. This is the best offensive lineup we've fielded all season, and Ottawa won't respond sufficiently.

Achievements:

Level
    Without disrespect intended towards Matt Black, I expect an improvement from the LB corps this week. Isaac may not be a better tackler than MB, but he's a scarier blitz threat and hits harder.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Really would be nice to see our number 1 qb! Teams talk about injuries but we have yet to see our number 1 guy on the field all year.

Yet another strange year in Argoland as now we have a revolving door with kickers coming and going. Hopefully Alix can punt well.

We signed a guy named Phil Bates as a WR who played at both Iowa St and Ohio St. Read his stats on the transactions page and he was a star qb in highschool and could be a good find. His pro experience involves being dumped and resigned by Seattle a bunch in just a few short years.

Hope we can beat a hopefully tired Ottawa team. We need it to create a log jam on top of the east.
    Look forward to seeing more Spencer and hopefully Hazelton has learned his lesson finally. Wish we could have seen more of the Kack attack as he really wasn't used much as a rb after his first start. Hopefully Steele comes out and proves why we kept him as he goes head to head with Jonhson.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Without disrespect intended towards Matt Black, I expect an improvement from the LB corps this week. Isaac may not be a better tackler than MB, but he's a scarier blitz threat and hits harder.
    I think the Argos D showed a little better the last 2 games with Black starting there. My concern with Issaac is his coverage skills. When a team sends 3 receivers to the wide side, it takes away his blitz look (unless Gabriel takes the 3rd receiver or they stay in zone) and makes them vulnerable. I said it at the time and I'll say it again, I think the Argos made a mistake in cutting Matt Ware.

New Fan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Level
    First time Poster...but am looking for some information,
    and was hoping the board's most knowledgeable can help me out !

I am playing TSN's Fantasy Football CFL edition,
    and am loading my team with Argo's this week...
    but am unsure about which kicker to choose.

After looking at today's depth chart...
    I see Anthony Alix listed ahead of Justin Palardy,
    but was wondering who you would pick as the field goal and extra point kicker
    (for tonight's game as well as next week's game vs Montreal) ?

Thanks so much...
    Burt

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BluemanBurt View Post
    First time Poster...but am looking for some information,
    and was hoping the board's most knowledgeable can help me out !

I am playing TSN's Fantasy Football CFL edition,
    and am loading my team with Argo's this week...
    but am unsure about which kicker to choose.

After looking at today's depth chart...
    I see Anthony Alix listed ahead of Justin Palardy,
    but was wondering who you would pick as the field goal and extra point kicker
    (for tonight's game as well as next week's game vs Montreal) ?

Thanks so much...
    Burt
    Palardy will be doing all the place kicking, so he's the one to take.

New Fan
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Palardy will be doing all the place kicking, so he's the one to take.
    Awesome !!! Thanks so much for your help...and I sincerely hope the Argo's kick some Redblack and Alouette butt
    in the next 2 weeks...Go Double Blue !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    With 25 minutes to go, we're wondering if they'll pull 1/2 a crowd. Sparse right now. Won't hurt us!
    image.jpg

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    With 25 minutes to go, we're wondering if they'll pull 1/2 a crowd. Sparse right now. Won't hurt us!
    Attachment 620
    Crowd looks decent on TV, especially considering the circumstances. Lower bowl looks packed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Crowd looks decent on TV, especially considering the circumstances. Lower bowl looks packed.
    North stands 1/2 full. South (new) stands 2/3rds full. Good, noisy crowd tonight.