Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Short Weeks and injuries

Watching the Als players falling like flies tonight, I think the League really needs to address the short weeks that teams are dealt with. This is their 2nd game in 4 days and they had to travel. This is ridiculous.

I have felt that since the league went to 9 teams, there is an easy solution to stop this. The season needs to be played over 21 weeks rather than 20.

My idea:
    Week 1, there should only be 1 game. Make it a Grey Cup rematch.

Following that week, you have 20 weeks of 4 games.

It should also be mandated that the minimum number of days between games for any team be 6. Get rid of Thursday night games and play only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (with Labour day and Thanksgiving being the only exceptions). TV might not like it, but it's time to think of the safety of the players, or else there can be some pretty bad injuries, followed by law suits in the future.

Very simple, and makes the league less dangerous.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Watching the Als players falling like flies tonight, I think the League really needs to address the short weeks that teams are dealt with. This is their 2nd game in 4 days and they had to travel. This is ridiculous.

I have felt that since the league went to 9 teams, there is an easy solution to stop this. The season needs to be played over 21 weeks rather than 20.

My idea:
    Week 1, there should only be 1 game. Make it a Grey Cup rematch.

Following that week, you have 20 weeks of 4 games.

It should also be mandated that the minimum number of days between games for any team be 6. Get rid of Thursday night games and play only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (with Labour day and Thanksgiving being the only exceptions). TV might not like it, but it's time to think of the safety of the players, or else there can be some pretty bad injuries, followed by law suits in the future.

Very simple, and makes the league less dangerous.
    Agreed completely. I can't believe the players union hasn't demanded a minimum number of days between games, with 5 being the minimum.

3 days between games is insane and completely dangerous.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Agreed completely. I can't believe the players union hasn't demanded a minimum number of days between games, with 5 being the minimum.

3 days between games is insane and completely dangerous.
    Completely agree as well. The NFL does also with the teams playing on Thursday right after playing on Sunday. Hence the Thursday night games are usually duds.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Agree with everyone here, but it likely won't change any time soon because TV has way too much power.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Agree with everyone here, but it likely won't change any time soon because TV has way too much power.
    Too much power until the first law suit happens once a major injury on a short week happens.

I'm really hoping this could change with the Argos now likely having better control over their home dates. A part of really believes (or at least wants to believe)that the scheduling is the way it is because of the issues with dates at the dome.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Too much power until the first law suit happens once a major injury on a short week happens.

I'm really hoping this could change with the Argos now likely having better control over their home dates. A part of really believes (or at least wants to believe)that the scheduling is the way it is because of the issues with dates at the dome.
    The only reason, I believe, that Ottawa and Montreal were playing last night was because of the Argos' schedule. I will be anxious to see what happens next season but am hopeful that we won't see as many short weeks after this season.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force