Reply to Thread
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Perception or Reality: the Argos aren't great at executing screen passes

Is my perception backed up by reality? It seems that the Argos have trouble getting their blockers set-up to properly execute the screen pass.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    They are horrible yet continue to do it over and over.

I love a play you see very little when the qb is in shotgun and you get a guy like Owens in motion running between the qb and centre and the qb flips him the ball. If it's dropped, no issue as it's a pass. It always seems to go for good yards when I've seen it run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    from my vantage point there are three issues at play (purely from last game)
    - I think we missed Van Zeyl - don't think a guy like Van Roten is as quick getting outside as ZL and on the RG side, I don't think old reliable Wayne Smith is as fast getting out there as Van Roten. So this probably didn't help.

- Trevor Harris had a few poor throws on screens that limited YAC in my opinion. i know he wants to keep the ball low (for obvious reasons) on these but our guys out in the flat were digging some off the turf.

- the screen game is made for guys like Andre Durie and Chad Owens and one day Anthony Coombs. Not having Durie hurts us still here - don't get me wrong Coombs will be a player and will be like Durie for us in this offence - just not yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    from my vantage point there are three issues at play (purely from last game)
    - I think we missed Van Zeyl - don't think a guy like Van Roten is as quick getting outside as ZL and on the RG side, I don't think old reliable Wayne Smith is as fast getting out there as Van Roten. So this probably didn't help.

- Trevor Harris had a few poor throws on screens that limited YAC in my opinion. i know he wants to keep the ball low (for obvious reasons) on these but our guys out in the flat were digging some off the turf.

- the screen game is made for guys like Andre Durie and Chad Owens and one day Anthony Coombs. Not having Durie hurts us still here - don't get me wrong Coombs will be a player and will be like Durie for us in this offence - just not yet.
    1st point, disagree. I don't think they misses CVZ at all. He has had his worst season since becoming a starter.

2nd point, agree to a point. I know a screen is supposed to be a slow developing play, but I think the Argos are too slow at developing it, allowing defenders go get between the back and the line.

3rd point, Agreed for the most part. Argos seem to be better with the screen that has the receiver going forward as he's catching the ball. They really haven't tried Coombs on that wide flare screen.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Aren't great an understatement!

The Argos paid dearly in Montreal where the LBs had a field day. Without the threat of a screen pass or a well designed draw, this team is vulnerable to games like we played against Hamilton. Montreal was afraid at all to bring the house. The loss of Kato and the absence of a second string quarterback was decisive in yesterdays victory. Anthony Boone at QB was awful yesterday.

It looks like the road to the Grey Cup will surely run through the Ticats, either at THF or in the SkyDome. If we are to play a team with a big time defence and a talented QB, we had better have a set of plays to keep the LBs on their toes. If not, the season will end sooner than we would've liked.

I believe, that the last time the Argos took the heat off the aggressive rush was in Winnipeg with Chad Kackert. After an impressive effort, he hasn't been utilized like that again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    REALITY, and it bites.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

The Argos paid dearly in Montreal where the LBs had a field day. Without the threat of a screen pass or a well designed draw, this team is vulnerable to games like we played against Hamilton. Montreal was afraid at all to bring the house. The loss of Kato and the absence of a second string quarterback was decisive in yesterdays victory. Anthony Boone at QB was awful yesterday.

It looks like the road to the Grey Cup will surely run through the Ticats, either at THF or in the SkyDome. If we are to play a team with a big time defence and a talented QB, we had better have a set of plays to keep the LBs on their toes. If not, the season will end sooner than we would've liked.

I believe, that the last time the Argos took the heat off the aggressive rush was in Winnipeg with Chad Kackert. After an impressive effort, he hasn't been utilized like that again.
    Don't forget Ottawa, they will be a factor as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don't forget Ottawa, they will be a factor as well.
    As the peerless Lennox Lewis said: "styles make fights". The Argos match up well vs the RodBlacks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

I don't think Kackert has anything to do with their lack of execution on the screen pass. The best screen they have run all year with a back, was on the 2 point convert on Labour Day to Coombs. I really think you can chalk up Kackert's success in Winnipeg to adrenaline. I know everybody loves Kackert, but reality is that he is not the player he was prior to getting injured. If he was, he'd be playing. Milanovich loves him. Whitaker at this point is much better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think Kackert has anything to do with their lack of execution on the screen pass. The best screen they have run all year with a back, was on the 2 point convert on Labour Day to Coombs. I really think you can chalk up Kackert's success in Winnipeg to adrenaline. I know everybody loves Kackert, but reality is that he is not the player he was prior to getting injured. If he was, he'd be playing. Milanovich loves him. Whitaker at this point is much better.
    Huge accomplishment for Kackert to even play again, if this season is his last (which is quite probable) at least he won't have the "what if's" for the rest of his life.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Huge accomplishment for Kackert to even play again, if this season is his last (which is quite probable) at least he won't have the "what if's" for the rest of his life.
    Agreed 100%. But some seem to think he should be the #1 guy. I love him too.