Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Sandy Annunziati blasts CFL Commissioner over silence re:argos treatment

ANNUNZIATA BLASTS CFL COMMISSIONER

Two-time Grey Cup champion offensive lineman and current Toronto Argonauts broadcaster Sandy Annunziata of TSN 1050 Toronto came out swinging in an interview on 620 CKRM's SportsCage in Regina on Monday. The 11-year CFL veteran explained the growing unrest amongst Toronto football types regarding the Argos' treatment by Rogers and Rogers Centre, the homefield of the club.

The Argos have been forced out of Rogers Centre on multiple occasions during the 2015 season due to conflicting stadium dates, including back-to-back "home" games in Weeks 17 and 18.

"Let's put it this way; they've played 13 of their 16 games on the road," Annunziata reported. "You want to encapsulate how weird of a situation this is. I'm all for quirkiness and the CFL is all about quirkiness. You got these great stories from the 1950's and 1960's. I mean someone almost drowned in the 1950's in the Mud Bowl. But this is anything but quirkiness.

"To have your home opener in Fort MacMurray, to have five games in the Rogers Centre only to be told 'Sorry we can't accomodate the Argonauts despite the lease. We have first right of refusal to kick you out' and don't give it a second thought. These are these corporate decisions that leave a bad taste in my mouth."

The frustation in Annunziata's voice was clearly evident and he's made his feelings known recently on social media which led to Monday's appearance in the SportsCage.

"I think it comes from me being a part of that locker room for so long and understanding the challenges involved with being a professional football player, notwithstanding the incredible amount of stress and anxiety thrust upon this Argo locker room," Annunziata continued. "I'm disappointed that the individual responsible for growing the brand, strengthening the brand, protecting the brand, by his deafening silence is allowing a 143-year old tradition in Toronto, one of the flagships of the CFL, to be marginalized and minimized.

"I'm talking about the Commissioner specifically and I have nothing against Jeffrey Orridge. He was brought in as a marketing guru to resurrect and to help strengthen the brand but he's done anything but that in Toronto."

I asked Sandy if he were Commissioner, how would he address the untenable situation?

"There's a way to address the situation," Annunziata said. "Maybe a strongly-worded letter saying you don't agree with the decision. There's a way to take the high road because let's face it; that's what the CFL has always done. It has always capitulated and been accomodating to the four other major sports properties in the City of Toronto. At some point you'd think the head of the CFL, the Commissioner, would stand up for the integrity and stand up for the collective rights of those 50 football players, those hard-working coaches and that skeleton crew they have running the Toronto front office.

"You'd think he'd be an ally in their frustration. Maybe a sounding board for them or a mouthpiece for them. There's ways to do it without totally alienating Rogers and that sports property. It sends a loud message if he comes out and speaks for the Argos and their staff that we don't like this decision. We're not going to sit idly by and take it. But just to not say anything, his silence speaks volumes that the Toronto Argonauts have been allowed to be treated this way by not only Rogers Centre but also Rogers as a corporation."

Despite their nomadic struggles, the Argonauts are tied for second-place in the CFL East at 9-6. I asked Sandy if the adversity has affected the football club, including Saturday's 27-15 loss to Calgary in Hamilton.

"You'll never get this out of (head coach) Scott Milanovich or anyone out of that locker room," Annunziata continued. "They're paid to win games so they'd never use these situations as an excuse and that's just a sign of professionalism. God bless everyone of those Toronto Argonauts who refuses to discuss it in the media because that's just not their job. That's up to people like me who don't have a stake in the game and I'll speak on behalf of those guys and say yeah, it does have an effect.

"To see Trevor Harris in the first half, it wasn't Trevor Harris. I don't know what Toronto Argonauts team showed up but it wasn't the Toronto Argonauts team we've seen work so efficiently through the adversity through two-thirds of the season. Am I gonna say it didn't have an effect? Well let me put it to you this way; Toronto's playing Calgary in Hamilton. That's just a very quirky situation and it's a very sterile environment that we saw Saturday night. 3401 fans? That's not typical."

The Argonauts "host" the Montreal Alouettes this Friday night at Hamilton's Tim Hortons Field.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 10-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Unfortunately the reality is this lease with that clause was signed by Argos management. There were no other options at the time so it was a take it or leave type deal which sucks but what can Orridge really say about it?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Unfortunately the reality is this lease with that clause was signed by Argos management. There were no other options at the time so it was a take it or leave type deal which sucks but what can Orridge really say about it?
    He may not be able to do anything but I agree with Sandy. The integrity of the game is at stake. By saying and doing nothing shows lack of leadership. His first test as commissioner is not good. If he is a guru of social media he should be organizing support for the Argos behind the scenes.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Good on Sandy. Fitting this interview was on a Regina station and not in Toronto. That also speaks volumes.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    He may not be able to do anything but I agree with Sandy. The integrity of the game is at stake. By saying and doing nothing shows lack of leadership. His first test as commissioner is not good. If he is a guru of social media he should be organizing support for the Argos behind the scenes.
    Maybe, but I'm thinking at this point the shift is coming January 1, 2016. At that point the Rogers Centre problem will be behind us.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well said Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone with a voice had to come out and say what he did. Great job and it might wake some CFL fans up to the Toronto issues.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Maybe, but I'm thinking at this point the shift is coming January 1, 2016. At that point the Rogers Centre problem will be behind us.
    Somebody needs to stand up to the bullies in this world. TSN have a great excuse to tee off on their hated rival and make them look like the bullies they are and all we hear are crickets.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Good on Sandy. Fitting this interview was on a Regina station and not in Toronto. That also speaks volumes.
    All true. We can only look forward to next season ("darkest before the dawn, etc.).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great job buy Sandy. I'm glad he said that it DOES have an effect on field. Reading some posts on the game day thread of the last game really pissed me off, and it's great to have someone that played spell it out.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Great job buy Sandy. I'm glad he said that it DOES have an effect on field. Reading some posts on the game day thread of the last game really pissed me off, and it's great to have someone that played spell it out.
    I agree but when I started the Competitive Disadvantage Thread most people don't seem to think that it is one judging by the posts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I agree but when I started the Competitive Disadvantage Thread most people don't seem to think that it is one judging by the posts.
    I think a lot of Toronto sports fans have been trained to be negative, and unfortunately it has reached much of the Argos fan base.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I've always thought that having most of your games on the road would wear on them but they kept hanging in and winning. As I watched this last weekend I mentioned to my wife that it had to catch up with them. Playing in front of so many empty seats in a stadium they continue to lose in would suck. BS year followed by BS year lately.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    Gill;

For the record Sandy initially made the comments on our broadcast Saturday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    I love the fact that Sandy has spoken up for the Argonauts. Especially for the players and coaches. I’m sure some of them want to sound off in the media!
    Unfortunately I don’t think the commissioner can do much with the lease Braley and Rudge signed. Short of bribing Rogers to shorten the baseball/football turnaround, but why give any more money to them!

But the commissioner and rest of the league knew this could happen, and should have had a better contingency plan in place. Because they know Braley is just going through the motions and won’t spend a nickel above what he has to!!!!

I know it’s was short notice for last week’s game, as well as this weeks. But it became embarrassingly apparent the league office sat on their ass and left it to Braley to figure out. And he did the same.

The commissioner could have initiated some of the following:
    -Run free buses from the GO Train stations from Oshawa to Burlington to THF for season ticket holders or anyone buying a ticket
    -Donate tickets to every minor football association in the golden horseshoe
    -Offer discounted or free tickets to Argonaut and Tiger Cat corporate sponsors

Yes it would cost the league some coin, but anything to get more buts in the seats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I love the fact that Sandy has spoken up for the Argonauts. Especially for the players and coaches. I’m sure some of them want to sound off in the media!
    Unfortunately I don’t think the commissioner can do much with the lease Braley and Rudge signed. Short of bribing Rogers to shorten the baseball/football turnaround, but why give any more money to them!

But the commissioner and rest of the league knew this could happen, and should have had a better contingency plan in place. Because they know Braley is just going through the motions and won’t spend a nickel above what he has to!!!!

I know it’s was short notice for last week’s game, as well as this weeks. But it became embarrassingly apparent the league office sat on their ass and left it to Braley to figure out. And he did the same.

The commissioner could have initiated some of the following:
    -Run free buses from the GO Train stations from Oshawa to Burlington to THF for season ticket holders or anyone buying a ticket
    -Donate tickets to every minor football association in the golden horseshoe
    -Offer discounted or free tickets to Argonaut and Tiger Cat corporate sponsors

Yes it would cost the league some coin, but anything to get more buts in the seats.
    With the additional travel time our schedule doesn’t work for either of the games in Hamilton but I was surprised that they didn't try to organize some buses for Argonauts season ticket holders.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    Gill;

For the record Sandy initially made the comments on our broadcast Saturday.
    In fairness, there was no pre-game show as I tried to tune in while driving to the game. If the comments were made between 4pm and kickoff, I don't think you can really blame someone for not hearing his comments on air.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    @Angelo

Clarifying an untrue statement that the comments were not made first in Toronto, but in Regina. It was during our halftime show.
    Last edited by Mike Hogan; 10-20-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    @Angelo

Clarifying an untrue statement that the comments were not made in Toronto, but in Regina. It was during our halftime show.
    Fair enough.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Yeah yeah t-Bone it's no ones fault it's just unfortunate situation! Lol are you friggin kidding me! Good on sandy for standing up for the Argos! ORRIDGE has been the most useless guy around the cfl these days he has sat around all year doing nothing with anything cfl. This guys only accomplishment is his useless snap chat or whatever you call that stupid crap he keeps mentioning alongside his stupid rum hut in Winnipeg. This idiot alongside the incompetent Argo owners and CEO goes and sells a home game to Ottawa. How can a league be taken seriously when he screws around with the integrity of the game.

All of this all comes down to incompetent leadership from all sides cfl nothing else. Does roger suck? hell yes! But cfl and Argos need to put on there big boy pants and start taking care of business themselves. Having 3,400 for a game that both teams are fighting for first place is a complete joke! Last Friday tsn didn't even bother to show the cfl game on there main channel instead they were showing some stupid hockey show on there! Wake up Argo and cfl fans and start demanding more from these loser owners,CEOs,commish, etc..that we have in this league right now.This all needs to stop! Someone needs to stand up to all of these clowns from ml$e,Rogers,tsn etc..
    Another thing Mike hogan I don't mind you covering the Argos I think you do an alright job. But you have to stop defending tsn for every time they screw around the cfl. Tsn has been an awful partner the last couple of years for the cfl. Just god awful from the lack of coverage on tsn to there stupid radio station to there stupid play by play announcers to camera coverage basically everything around that whole network is bush league.
    Last thing I want to say is ORRIDGE sucks! Braley sucks! Rudge sucks! Tsn sucks! Rogers sucks! Ml$e sucks!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Actually, what some of us took issue with (in that thread and another where you made the same point) was the suggestion that anything could or should be done about it. Of course we're at a competitive disadvantage, but I can't even remotely agree with your suggestion that maybe this be "made up for" by giving us more home games next season. It's not the league's or any other team's fault, so why should another team lose a home game to benefit us retroactively?