Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Statue of John Candy Outside BMO Field

As we set our sights on better days at BMO Field next season, as fans who would like to support a grassroots movement to have a statue of John Candy erected outside the stadium for all to walk past?

We all know of the Ted statue outside Rogers Centre. It is a source of pain and abandonment shared by most Argo fans as we file past each game. This statue of John would be a source of pride and love for our team. Heaven knows the Argos should have something to say this is our stadium too. It would be something I am sure TFC fans can live with. Who doesn't love John Candy and everything he represented?

I am sure that it would be touched by many on their way into the stadium.

Any thoughts?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Are you planning to crowd source funds for this?

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Lets just get into the stadium first. Hey I love John Candy and I wouldn't mind but it's a long shot to think that anything Argo related would be done.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Lets just get into the stadium first. Hey I love John Candy and I wouldn't mind but it's a long shot to think that anything Argo related would be done.
    John Candy is beloved by us as Argo fans because he was an Argo fan too. But he represented his city and country abroad and deserves recognition for his other achievements too. John Candy was an Argo, but he was more than that too and I would like to know why someone would not see this as appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I am hoping it is something the city and/or new ownership would like to do in conjunction with private donors. Is the stadium city owned? We have statues all over the city. John's deserves to be outside wherever his Argos call their home.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am good with John Candy, but is he really the first guy to come to mind. What about Leo "the mouth" Cahill? He would be my choice. Others would argue for Pinball etc......
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    I am good with John Candy, but is he really the first guy to come to mind. What about Leo "the mouth" Cahill? He would be my choice. Others would argue for Pinball etc......
    This would be a start, and someone who could be seen as neutral as opposed to Argo only. Also he is no longer with us and this would be a fitting tribute to the man who loved this team, and may have died for this team.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm in for Uncle Buck! Sounds good to me when you think about it.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Lets just get into the stadium first.
    I have to agree with you here. I think this purposal would go over better after the Argos have played at BMO Field for a few years. Also, I have nothing against John Candy but I think sports stars should get statues before owners. Pinball would make more sense in my opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I have to agree with you here. I think this purposal would go over better after the Argos have played at BMO Field for a few years. Also, I have nothing against John Candy but I think sports stars should get statues before owners. Pinball would make more sense in my opinion.
    My thought process here was that Argo sports stars (which I think is a great idea too) might rub TFC folks the wrong way initially. John Candy would transcend the Argos but be a source of immense pride by Argo fans too.

Why wait? We either have a long term home, with long term committed owners or we don't. If we don't we move the statue to wherever the new home of the Argos will be. I want something in place to say we play there too for next season. The Grey Cup will be there next year too. We don't need to wait.

T-Bone, you mentioned on a previous post about negativity and being positive. This is an idea that is positive and can mend bridges with the other tenant without pissing them off. Here's your chance to be positive. Let's go. You can do it. Get hyped with me, as Carl Brazley used to say.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    With the amount of excuses and the we can't do this attitude I just wondering t-bone do you work or have any connections with the current Argo regime?

Anyways as far as statue I would be more so in favour of a pinball Clemons one then a owner. Pinball was one of the greatest players with the Argos and he has done so much charity work in The city.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    T-Bone, you mentioned on a previous post about negativity and being positive. This is an idea that is positive and can mend bridges with the other tenant without pissing them off. Here's your chance to be positive. Let's go. You can do it. Get hyped with me, as Carl Brazley used to say.
    There is a difference between positivity and being realistic. Realistically, I don't think your idea would "mend bridges" with TFC fans. A statue paid for or partially paid for by the city outside BMO Field that is not related to TFC will piss off TFC fans. Maybe if a statue of a TFC player(s) was already out there it would be a different story but something tells me it would still rub many the wrong way. Also, honestly I don't know securing funding for a John Candy statue would be all that easy. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    With the amount of excuses and the we can't do this attitude I just wondering t-bone do you work or have any connections with the current Argo regime?
    I do not work for or have any connection with Argos management other than being a season ticket holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Anyways as far as statue I would be more so in favour of a pinball Clemons one then a owner. Pinball was one of the greatest players with the Argos and he has done so much charity work in The city.
    Look, we agree on something. I think funding for a Pinball statue might be easier to secure but I think it would still be tough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    The city of Toronto has a bronze statue of Winston Churchill in storage. Same build as Candy ,might be ok with a bit of a makeover.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:

Level
    There is a difference between positivity and being realistic. Realistically, I don't think your idea would "mend bridges" with TFC fans. A statue paid for or partially paid for by the city outside BMO Field that is not related to TFC will piss off TFC fans. Maybe if a statue of a TFC player(s) was already out there it would be a different story but something tells me it would still rub many the wrong way. Also, honestly I don't know securing funding for a John Candy statue would be all that easy. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

I do not work for or have any connection with Argos management other than being a season ticket holder.

Look, we agree on something. I think funding for a Pinball statue might be easier to secure but I think it would still be tough.
    Don't think funding would be the problem. Main problem is the weak ownership group who has yet to stand up for this franchise and tell what direction the Argos are heading to. When you have ml$e saying there will be no Argos signage or any type of awareness that the Argos play at bmo field besides on game day and convincing tfc fans that it would be ok.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't understand what is unrealistic about having a statue(s) of John and/or Pinball. These are sports figures in this city that transcended their sports into our communities and our lives. Raising funds? C'mon, a few of John Candy's entertainment friends could make that happen in seconds (Martin Short and Tom Hanks) are the first two that come to mind, and there would be countless others, not to mention every Argo alumni. All we are talking about is finding the 5 square feet of space on the stadium grounds to put the statue and maybe goodwill from the city and MLSE to make it happen. If something like this isn't realistic, than the Argos are already dead in the water in Toronto. This is low hanging fruit.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Won't happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Won't happen.
    Accessing 5 sq. feet of space to erect a statue is impossible? Why?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I vote for DeRosario.

That's a joke, BTW. I don't actually want any statues there. I want a great venue that fans of both teams love going to without viewing the other team as the enemy, and I'm confident that's what we'll get. Candy and other Argo greats can and should be honoured in other ways.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I don't understand what is unrealistic about having a statue(s) of John and/or Pinball. These are sports figures in this city that transcended their sports into our communities and our lives.
    I didn't say that was unrealistic. What I said was putting those statue(s) outside BMO Field will not "mend bridges" with TFC fans as you put it. To think it would is unrealistic.

Raising funds? C'mon, a few of John Candy's entertainment friends could make that happen in seconds (Martin Short and Tom Hanks) are the first two that come to mind, and there would be countless others, not to mention every Argo alumni. All we are talking about is finding the 5 square feet of space on the stadium grounds to put the statue and maybe goodwill from the city and MLSE to make it happen. If something like this isn't realistic, than the Argos are already dead in the water in Toronto. This is low hanging fruit.
    Go for it then. It's your idea, make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I vote for DeRosario.

That's a joke, BTW. I don't actually want any statues there. I want a great venue that fans of both teams love going to without viewing the other team as the enemy, and I'm confident that's what we'll get. Candy and other Argo greats can and should be honoured in other ways.
    Actually DeRo and Pinball out there at the same time would be pretty cool. Living legends! Ultimately, I agree with you but unfortunately the animosity exists on both sides and I don't know if it will go away anytime soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I vote for DeRosario.

I am all for that. The Argos need a home. RC decked out in BJ banners, and signage everywhere, Ted statue, just has not been a proper home fitting of such a storied franchise rich in history and individuals that are part of the fabric of this city.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    Start with his home town where a statue is clearly deserved: https://www.facebook.com/John-Candy-...?tab=page_info

That Newmarket hasn't erected a statue is a little surprising.