Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Gotta love a db who can't back peddle or turn. I couldn't believe he face planted on that play. To me that was the game.
    The team needs significant upgrading including, of course, the secondary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The team needs significant upgrading including, of course, the secondary.
    I am not convinced that the secondary is that bad. It takes time for import defensive backs to learn the Canadian game and it is even more of a challenge when you have four of those players playing together for the first time. Bring in lots of competition and see what happens next year but I wouldn't be shocked to see much the same secondary next year play much better.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am not convinced that the secondary is that bad. It takes time for import defensive backs to learn the Canadian game and it is even more of a challenge when you have four of those players playing together for the first time. Bring in lots of competition and see what happens next year but I wouldn't be shocked to see much the same secondary next year play much better.
    It especially is difficult when you have rookies at HB. CB, is pretty much the same in all types of football, so it is easier to play rookies there. HB with the waggle is very difficult to start rookies. I also prefer HB's to be a little bigger than what the Argos had this year, so if the Argos are active in CFL free agency, I would like to see them look at veteran HB's.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I am with you Ravi, other then perhaps getting taller corners to better cover the deep men on the zero cover side.
    Otherwise, it's the overall scheme and again the philosophy of our current DC which as most of us have said requires replacement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It'll probably boil down to pragmatics. If we can find superior talent (known through TC competition), attempt replacement; if not, status quo.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    So - what type of coaching staff goes with that type of secondary and hopes or prays they can be good? A veteran Matt Black coulda been playing in the D backfield over that guy who slipped on a key play in the play-offs and was otherwise mediocre or hit & miss all year; the Argos could have also picked-up that DB (MacDonald i think?) who got let go by Ottawa and got picked-up and started for the Stamps - at least he has some experience and showed he could play for Ottawa (till they made the dumb decision, IMO, to cut him for some penalty problems) - smart teams observe other team's talent and jump on cast-offs - see Aston Whiteside.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I might buy your statement more if the secondary (and D in total) actually improved as the season went on but that didn't happen IMO.
    So it's either inferior talent or a coaching issue, I suspect it has more to do with the talent level, Younger played in the league successfully for many years and should be able to teach the young guys the nuances of the CFL, either way Barker and the HC had better figure it out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    So - what type of coaching staff goes with that type of secondary and hopes or prays they can be good? A veteran Matt Black coulda been playing in the D backfield over that guy who slipped on a key play in the play-offs and was otherwise mediocre or hit & miss all year; the Argos could have also picked-up that DB (MacDonald i think?) who got let go by Ottawa and got picked-up and started for the Stamps - at least he has some experience and showed he could play for Ottawa (till they made the dumb decision, IMO, to cut him for some penalty problems) - smart teams observe other team's talent and jump on cast-offs - see Aston Whiteside.
    Maybe the Argos didn't have the financial resources available to pick up a guy like MacDonald or they just didn't think he was an upgrade over what they had or they were concerned with his penchant for bad penalties which was already a problem for the Argos.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I might buy your statement more if the secondary (and D in total) actually improved as the season went on but that didn't happen IMO.
    So it's either inferior talent or a coaching issue, I suspect it has more to do with the talent level, Younger played in the league successfully for many years and should be able to teach the young guys the nuances of the CFL, either way Barker and the HC had better figure it out.
    I thought that the defence as a whole, including the secondary, improved as the season progressed. Were they a championship-calibre group by the end of the year? No, but they were better than at the beginning of the season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    While I'm not an Ansah backer whatsoever, he's not the first nor will he be the last player to slip on a play during a football game, key moment or otherwise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The loss of Pat Watkins a couple of years back when he followed Chris Jones to Edmonton was big.
    A couple of Watkins like clones are crucial for next year.