Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
So - what type of coaching staff goes with that type of secondary and hopes or prays they can be good? A veteran Matt Black coulda been playing in the D backfield over that guy who slipped on a key play in the play-offs and was otherwise mediocre or hit & miss all year; the Argos could have also picked-up that DB (MacDonald i think?) who got let go by Ottawa and got picked-up and started for the Stamps - at least he has some experience and showed he could play for Ottawa (till they made the dumb decision, IMO, to cut him for some penalty problems) - smart teams observe other team's talent and jump on cast-offs - see Aston Whiteside.
Maybe the Argos didn't have the financial resources available to pick up a guy like MacDonald or they just didn't think he was an upgrade over what they had or they were concerned with his penchant for bad penalties which was already a problem for the Argos.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
I might buy your statement more if the secondary (and D in total) actually improved as the season went on but that didn't happen IMO.
So it's either inferior talent or a coaching issue, I suspect it has more to do with the talent level, Younger played in the league successfully for many years and should be able to teach the young guys the nuances of the CFL, either way Barker and the HC had better figure it out.
I thought that the defence as a whole, including the secondary, improved as the season progressed. Were they a championship-calibre group by the end of the year? No, but they were better than at the beginning of the season.