Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
I was watching the end of the '76 Grey Cup again tonight and noted that is the only time, by my count, in modern CFL history that a Grey Cup has been decided by a last minute game-winning TD. We have had many close Grey Cups that have gone down to the final few plays but they have usually been decided by a game-winning FG (see '72, '81, '87, '89, '94, '98, '09), a missed FG (see '75) or a defensive play/offensive miscue in the final moments (see '71, '88, '00, '02, '05, '07). The only situations that have been close to Tony Gabriel's game-winning TD in the final minute in '76 was Cedric Minter's winning TD with 2:47 left on the clock in '83 and Brandon Banks' punt return TD that was called back in the final minute or so last year. I wonder if this will be the year when we finally see a last minute game-winning TD.
That was the game that made me a CFL fan for life. 9 years old growing up in Ottawa. Tony Gabriel was my sports hero. Moved to Toronto 2 years later. Argos finally became my 1A team in 1991 as John Candy was my comedy hero growing up watching Second City again in the 1970s.