Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanier

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just watched the game again. Difference I saw in the QBs was that O'Connor made his receivers look better, while his receivers made Cousineau look better, and that was with Cousineau operating in a cleaner pocket more often than O"Connor.

Almost all of Cousineau's deep passes were underthrown, and you could see his receivers slow down or take a step back and try to win jump balls, which I'm guessing they were coached to do because of Cousineau's weak arm. No way he can get away with those throws in the pro game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Just watched the game again. Difference I saw in the QBs was that O'Connor made his receivers look better, while his receivers made Cousineau look better, and that was with Cousineau operating in a cleaner pocket more often than O"Connor.

Almost all of Cousineau's deep passes were underthrown, and you could see his receivers slow down or take a step back and try to win jump balls, which I'm guessing they were coached to do because of Cousineau's weak arm. No way he can get away with those throws in the pro game.
    I agree with your analysis here. I was very impressed with Montreal's receivers because they were making excellent catches and making their QB look good.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Fun game and nice to see Marcus Davis have a great game. As I've mentioned watching this kid play against the Cowichan Bulldogs in minor football before his high school days was amazing. He played rb,db and was the pk and punter. It was a great game. For a 19 year old I think the UBC qb will start in the CFL one day.

Be interesting to see how O'Connor develops - has a lot already on his QB resume: was at a big US program and then comes back to Canada and wins a Vanier as a rookie QB; has the 6-5 size and seemingly very strong arm that pro scouts would be looking for. However - if his aspiration is to play in the CFL, he may have been wiser to stick it out in Div I US college ball and hope he got a shot to play there; because it is obvious that the current clique of CFL gobs have no use for top notch CIS QBs - there have been outstanding, record breaking, award winning, top passing stats, play-off winning CIS QBs before O'Connor who got dismissed or no look at all by the gobs. O'Connor has several years left in CIS ball to improve - he could win several Hecs, or Vaniers and re-write the passing records there and that is not going to automatically impress the gobs. Unless some change is coming to the make-up of CFL decision making and it happens big-time with a number of teams? - very doubtful IMO. Maybe Blake Nill gets a CFL HC gig by the time O'Connor graduates? - that is the type of thing it would take; like Kenty bringing in his college boy QB Matthews and handing him playing time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Be interesting to see how O'Connor develops - has a lot already on his QB resume: was at a big US program and then comes back to Canada and wins a Vanier as a rookie QB; has the 6-5 size and seemingly very strong arm that pro scouts would be looking for. However - if his aspiration is to play in the CFL, he may have been wiser to stick it out in Div I US college ball and hope he got a shot to play there; because it is obvious that the current clique of CFL gobs have no use for top notch CIS QBs - there have been outstanding, record breaking, award winning, top passing stats, play-off winning CIS QBs before O'Connor who got dismissed or no look at all by the gobs. O'Connor has several years left in CIS ball to improve - he could win several Hecs, or Vaniers and re-write the passing records there and that is not going to automatically impress the gobs. Unless some change is coming to the make-up of CFL decision making and it happens big-time with a number of teams? - very doubtful IMO. Maybe Blake Nill gets a CFL HC gig by the time O'Connor graduates? - that is the type of thing it would take; like Kenty bringing in his college boy QB Matthews and handing him playing time.
    OV, I'll give you credit for standing with your beliefs. I still think you put way to much stock into stats. It doesn't necessarily equate to pro ability.

I would be very disappointed if both O'Connor (down the road) and Andrew Buckley didn't at least get TC invites. Will Finch is another, but I haven't seen to many CIS QB's with their abilities the last year or so. Admittedly, streaming the games often isn't the best way to evaluate either.
    It's us vs the rest of the country