Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    It's not about marketing the team or league. It is about coverage and discussion as he has a sports radio show. Not talking Grey Cup when 5 - 6 million Canadians will be watching is an abdication of sports journalism. I just want him to do his job.
    Bravo! A clear, concise, coherent assessment. Sadly, the landscape of sports "journalism" has been gradually muddied/eroded by creeping personal and/or corporate agendae.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Radio talk shows are not journalism. They are entertainment programming.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Exactly.
    I hear no coverage of the Toronto Marlies or Mississauga Steelheads on Toronto sports radio.
    I hear little coverage of the Toronto Rock, Toronto FC, or Toronto Argonauts.

I hear over coverage of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Blue Jays.

There is no "responsibility" to cover sports.
    It's about ratings and catering to what generates higher numbers in that regard.
    If McCown/Sportsnet believe that they can generate equal or higher ratings covering certain sports, they will ignore others.

Personally, I rarely listen to Fan590 because imo 90% of their coverage is Blue Jays and baseball, and I am not a baseball fan.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Your point is fair enough as far as it goes, Paul. However, in an electronic/cybernetic age, it could also be argued that electronic media, even the "radio talk show", like print media, is a distinct platform capable of far-reaching influence that could be consumed/interpreted in a variety of ways. Moreover, I use the expression "eroded" to draw attention to a cumulative diminishing of substance all along the line, consistent with the artistic import of Paddy Chayevsky's film, "Network", in 1976.

That having been said, yes, all these products, sport and the talk of sport, exist to distract and entertain. I can't help but feel, however, that the Argonauts, their origin and history, their status in the community, extends beyond these trivial pursuits and is capable of journalism (electronic or otherwise) beyond beyond the "impressario" level commonly practiced by many in the business.

From a personal standpoint, I cite as an example, your masterly work on "Bouncing Back" which you thoughtfully, and no doubt strategically, showcased in both print and "talk show" format. Your project brought much, much more than mere entertainment value to me, my family and my friends. And I would suggest the impact of this project on you, to your credit as a bonafide journalist, extended well beyond the desire to merely entertain.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Johno27; 11-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I could see right thru McCown to tell he was a pompous little know-nothing about sports jerk-off from the very 1st time I saw him on Global TV Sportsline (or whatever they called it) way back when. He's a total joke; and Paul is right IMO about some sports media now being just pure entertainment - sort of like a soap opera for men who never played a sport or know zip about the sport/league/team they "follow". Fan-boys and wannabes make me puke, basically.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I could see right thru McCown to tell he was a pompous little know-nothing about sports jerk-off from the very 1st time I saw him on Global TV Sportsline (or whatever they called it) way back when. He's a total joke; and Paul is right IMO about some sports media now being just pure entertainment - sort of like a soap opera for men who never played a sport or know zip about the sport/league/team they "follow". Fan-boys and wannabes make me puke, basically.

In short, the "impressario". In the culture of, as you cite, "some sports media", Mr. McCown has plenty of company. Unfortunately, and I speak from personal experience, he enjoys a demi-god status that is unimpeachable to some listeners. My point is, Mr. McCown and his antics is a symptom of a deeper malaise that undermines reflection on the culture of sport by men and women in the community paid to do so.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Heavy...Real Heavy. In lay mans terms McClown is an ASSPLUG!!!! haha.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno27 View Post
    From a personal standpoint, I cite as an example, your masterly work on "Bouncing Back" which you thoughtfully, and no doubt strategically, promoted in both print and "talk show" format. Your project brought much, much more than mere entertainment value to me, my family and my friends. And I would suggest the impact of this project on you, to your credit as a bonafide journalist, extended well beyond the desire to merely entertain.

Cheers!
    Thanks for your kind words, Johno27. The book itself was a journalistic endeavour, based on research and interviews. The promotional efforts did not constitute journalism. I was interviewed by some journalists who treated the project as a subject worthy of reportage. I also did a few radio gigs that were more about entertaining an audience than about conveying any sort of journalism, per se.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno27 View Post
    Your point is fair enough as far as it goes, Paul. However, in an electronic/cybernetic age, it could also be argued that electronic media, even the "radio talk show", like print media, is a distinct platform capable of far-reaching influence that could be consumed/interpreted in a variety of ways. Moreover, I use the expression "eroded" to draw attention to a cumulative diminishing of substance all along the line, consistent with the artistic import of Paddy Chayevsky's film, "Network", in 1976.

That having been said, yes, all these products, sport and the talk of sport, exist to distract and entertain. I can't help but feel, however, that the Argonauts, their origin and history, their status in the community, extends beyond these trivial pursuits and is capable of journalism (electronic or otherwise) beyond beyond the "impressario" level commonly practiced by many in the business.

From a personal standpoint, I cite as an example, your masterly work on "Bouncing Back" which you thoughtfully, and no doubt strategically, showcased in both print and "talk show" format. Your project brought much, much more than mere entertainment value to me, my family and my friends. And I would suggest the impact of this project on you, to your credit as a bonafide journalist, extended well beyond the desire to merely entertain.

Cheers!
    Well said

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Then explain to me why they are often referred to as "broadcast journalists"? McCowan has also written for the Sun in the past.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Actually, he knows baseball. That is all.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Then explain to me why they are often referred to as "broadcast journalists"? McCowan has also written for the Sun in the past.
    I don't know who describes them that way. If we were to call Bob McCown a journalist we'd need to call Jimmy Fallon one as well. Both talk to guests and utter commentary, but neither practises what I would consider journalism.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Actually, he knows baseball. That is all.
    He just barely knows baseball, as his claim to fame in the baseball world was getting into a dust-up with the Blue Jays first GM, Peter Bavasi. Bavasi must've been a good guy to accept that from a PA announcer or some PR rep or whatever McClown did in their first year of existence. He's been dining on that position for nearly 40 years.

Bobcat is becoming more irrelevant by the day, and his attitude certainly shows it on air. I stopped listening to Bobcat years ago, when he'd always excuse himself from answering a caller's question by saying, " I didn't watch the game, or hear his comments..." or "I was doing something else, or something better over the weekend than watch a ....(insert game)." If that's the way he feels, then why is working in Sportscasting. That may sound like entertainment to some, but to me, it sounds like a smug guy who doesn't need the gig, but thinks everybody else should hang on to his every word.

Notice how he conveniently forgets the fact that Cynamon and Sokolowski were being financed by Braley even during their tenure. Cynamon may have had some passion (former York U football player), but he was also a poor man's Jerry Jones, standing on the Argo sidelines during home games. Sokolowski was not passionate about football at all and was merely the bean counter who was not willing to take any risk, hence why the financial support from Braley who was acting as the owner and paying bills for C&S. When the league saw these guys were blowing smoke, they had to open themselves up to ridicule by announcing publicly that Braley was running 2 teams in some of their biggest markets and was in fact, the de facto owner of the Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't know who describes them that way. If we were to call Bob McCown a journalist we'd need to call Jimmy Fallon one as well. Both talk to guests and utter commentary, but neither practises what I would consider journalism.
    Paul, Bob himself on many occasions , makes comments such as, " Us in the Media" what does that mean then. He has spoken many times about not reporting or commenting on storys till all the facts are in because he has a responsibility as a media person. End of quote

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    He can call himself whatever he wants. I'm saying he's not a journalist. And "media" and "journalism" are two entirely different things.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Wikipedia page dos not come close to explaining the difference between actual journalism and entertainment programming, and (as is often the case with Wikipedia and similar sites) has some glaring inaccuracies. Anyone who wants to know more about the purpose of journalism and its best practices should check out The Elements of Journalism by Kovach and Rosenstiel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Wikipedia page dos not come close to explaining the difference between actual journalism and entertainment programming, and (as is often the case with Wikipedia and similar sites) has some glaring inaccuracies. Anyone who wants to know more about the purpose of journalism and its best practices should check out The Elements of Journalism by Kovach and Rosenstiel.

Hey - what year is that publication? - in my first year of Journalism at Carleton - eons ago it seems - they had us reading History of the Press in England or something along those lines - fascinating reading it was though ;o) - i gave up and switched to reading Hunter S Thompson and listening to Frank Zappa ("journalisms' kinda scary, and of it we should be wary").

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Hey - what year is that publication? - in my first year of Journalism at Carleton - eons ago it seems - they had us reading History of the Press in England or something along those lines - fascinating reading it was though ;o) - i gave up and switched to reading Hunter S Thompson and listening to Frank Zappa ("journalisms' kinda scary, and of it we should be wary").

OVA listening to Frank Zappa? Never would have guessed that. Rock on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    OVA listening to Frank Zappa? Never would have guessed that. Rock on.
    I'm sure he's just joking. He'd never listen to anything 'Merican!