Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    You can ask the Americans about the last part, I suppose. Don't really care who they hire.

When was the last time the CFL satisfied your ideal for having enough Canadians in those positions? The 50s?

I don't care who the Americans hire to coach their NFL or NCAA football teams either.

And there is no "ideal" here - CFL teams need to hire who they see fit to run their football teams - who or why that is I find interesting or questionable however. I'm pointing out some facts here that you and others don't like to hear. Do you care who the CFL hires? - maybe not; would you care if another Canadian business or organization favored mostly Americans and just said - we'll they\re better qualified and we prefer them? - say the police force of a Canadian city hired an American for Chief, and most of the senior officers he hired were Americans and then they went out and hired over 50% American policemen for their force. Would that be OK too?

I wasn't around to follow CFL football in the 50s, so don't really know what the CFL make-up was like, but I know guys like Frank Clair were running CFL teams. I started watching CFL football in the 60s and their have been many fine or successful or dedicated American football coaches in the CFL I believe, and that's swell. Ever heard of Teddy Morris ? If you like the current CFL that is run mostly by Americans and features a majority of American players (over 50% on game rosters and more on PRs), that's swell too. I prefer a CFL that has more Canadian content and because they are plenty of qualified Canadians for the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I guess you don't consider Tom Dimitroff Canadian because he was born in the States, even though he grew up and played collegiately in Canada? How about Chris Rossetti?

And why would it be as likely that American football programs would be looking for Canadians, when there are likey 50 times more people involved in football to choose from in the U.S.?

I don't have an issue with your supporting Canadian ball players and coaches/managers. My problem is that you seem to insinuate that it is purposely done because of a bias. Then you go and blow off hirings of Canadians (ie in Winnipeg and B.C.) and say that they have to fit in to the GOB club or their out. Almost as if you turn on them once they get the jobs you want them to get.

It's just an interesting way of looking at things, and (surprisingly?), there aren't that many that agree with that point of view.

You honestly BELIEVE there is no CFL bias in favor of American decision makers AND American players ??? - Really ? OK, whatever.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I

You honestly BELIEVE there is no CFL bias in favor of American decision makers AND American players ??? - Really ? OK, whatever.
    No I don't. I think teams hire the people they feel gives them the best opportunity to win. It is pro football, and if you don't do that, don't expect to have a job much longer.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No I don't. I think teams hire the people they feel gives them the best opportunity to win. It is pro football, and if you don't do that, don't expect to have a job much longer.
    ???

The owner of a football team will be out of a job if they don't win lots? What - the guy fires himself as owner?

Guys like Braley and Bob-O Young and Bobby Wetandall, yep, they're real super knowledgeable football people.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    ???

The owner of a football team will be out of a job if they don't win lots? What - the guy fires himself as owner?

Guys like Braley and Bob-O Young and Bobby Wetandall, yep, they're real super knowledgeable football people.
    Now I've heard it all. I honestly thought you were referring to management and coaches being bias against Canadians. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Now I've heard it all. I honestly thought you were referring to management and coaches being bias against Canadians. Now you are just being ridiculous.

Don't the owners hire who is going to run their football team? IF the owners only know or go with what they are told, and they know zip about football to begin with - the established CFL system of Americans first or mostly, that is what you are going to get.

Remember when Don Cherry was owner or in charge or whatever of an OHL team and he decreed he wanted mostly or only Canadian players on his team rather than the trend to bring in all sorts of European players? - not saying that is right or wrong, but it is an example of mindset of the ownership or management of a sports team affecting who gets hired or who plays. Look up Teddy Morris in Argo history to see another example of team leadership/ decision making thinking - now there was some bias - at the opposite end of the CFL scale.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I prefer a CFL that has more Canadian content and because they are plenty of qualified Canadians for the jobs.
    Well you're never going to get *that* CFL unless you have a concrete, realistic plan to make it happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Remember when Don Cherry was owner or in charge or whatever of an OHL team and he decreed he wanted mostly or only Canadian players on his team rather than the trend to bring in all sorts of European players? - not saying that is right or wrong, but it is an example of mindset of the ownership or management of a sports team affecting who gets hired or who plays.
    And that team was so bad, it took Cherry being out of the organization, and changing their stance before they every became decent. Meanwhile, the Brampton Battalion playing 7km away thrived from the beginning of their existence.

It's all about winning. You are not going to hire inferior people based on nationality. If a Canadian is the most qualified, he will get hired. And then apparently become a GOB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    And that team was so bad, it took Cherry being out of the organization, and changing their stance before they every became decent. Meanwhile, the Brampton Battalion playing 7km away thrived from the beginning of their existence.

It's all about winning. You are not going to hire inferior people based on nationality. If a Canadian is the most qualified, he will get hired. And then apparently become a GOB.

Yep - smart teams should not assume based on nationality; unfortunately, that is exactly what your typical CFL gob does all the time and it is a deeply ingrained, systemic CFL thing (Canadians don't play QB, Canadians don;t play D-half, and Canadians don't start at 16 positions (varies per team) per CFL team because the spots are reserved for imports only; and - always max number of imports and minimum number of NIs/Canadians on a CFL roster - these are the predetermined things and sometimes have next to nothing to do with "qualified"; just like getting a CFL coaching gig is often more about who you know and not coaching qualifications) - just IMO - of course you know that, and kudos to you for sticking with your no possible bias belief.

I guess you still don\t know who Teddy Morris was ? - if it's all about winning, he did just that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well you're never going to get *that* CFL unless you have a concrete, realistic plan to make it happen.

I don't see how any "plan" is going to make it happen. The CFL already mandates Canadian roster content, and that has been eroded over the years in favor of more American players and your typical gob will be periodically whine and cry-baby about"ratio problems" and lack of Canadian talent; do you think the new American Commish (who is there for supposed business acumen only) is going to campaign for more Canadian players, or try to institute a ratio for the coaching/management side? Don't think so / not a hope in hell there. If anything, changes will bring more American content, but that is not a real "plan", it just is the way the league has been set-up to evolve with mostly Americans running things.

Real change in that regard would have to come from the top down on an individual team. Some maverick or maybe Don Cherry xenophobe type owner or GM could make the changes if that was their plan. Very doubful that will happen, but certainly not impossible (maybe Teddy Morris gets reincarnated ? ;o) )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I guess you still don\t know who Teddy Morris was ? - if it's all about winning, he did just that.
    Sorry OV, references from 80 years ago aren't exactly relevant today. You really think Lionel Conacher would have played in both the CFL and NHL today?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Sorry OV, references from 80 years ago aren't exactly relevant today. You really think Lionel Conacher would have played in both the CFL and NHL today?

Maybe so; and Conacher probably would not have played in 2 big pro leagues of today; though both Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson played in both the big pro football & baseball leagues not too long ago.

And sorry, the Morris reference goes straight to the heart of the topic of Canadian content in the CFL today - it's a mind-set/choice matter of a key decision maker that can influence a team - but maybe you can't understand my point there. I was not meaning to suggest that football strategies or thinking from 80 years ago should be applied to today as some formula for success; though some of them might be interesting to see in the modern, same old standard look CFL of today.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't see how any "plan" is going to make it happen.
    So why are you complaining?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So why are you complaining?

Why is it a complaint and not an observation?; I might like to see the CFL change to way more Canadian content but I'm not about to file some paperwork in the CFL's complaints box and it would do no good even if they had one. If you want just to read just Argo or CFL cheerleading here, you are in the wrong place. Fans comment about all sorts of varied topics here; some like Ray better than Harris at QB or vice versa, or often disagree with the team's coaching decisions - are they just complainers ?

If i want to comment about Lapo as a CFL coaching choice as this thread was about and you don't like it, that's tough. Post your own comments explaining why you think he is so great and stop complaining about opinions you don't like to hear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I've seen your posts for 10+ years. Even Stevie Wonder can see it's a longstanding complaint as opposed to some random observation.

Going back to your point in an earlier post about foreigners working in Canada, Canadian organizations often do hire non-Canadians in senior management positions. The TTC currently has a CEO from England and previously had at least one American in that position. Universities consistently hire non-Canadian professors. The Leafs have had two American General Managers in a row, Burke and Lamoriello, and MLSE has a soon-to-be-departing American CEO. If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?
    That would be disastrous for the league IMO. Very few Canadian players would have jobs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    That would be disastrous for the league IMO. Very few Canadian players would have jobs.
    And so, what would be wrong with that? The clowns, er, fans, who believe they just want to see the best players get to play and are constantly trotting that thinking out to support no CFL ratio, would say that would be great for the league, wouldn't they? Wouldn't there be more talent in the league if only the gobs could hand more jobs and playing time to even more mediocre American players than we sometimes see now?

Yeah, great example to present that the Toronto Maple Laughs have had 2 American GMs in a row - hilarious.

If other Canadian institutions or businesses handed over control of their enterprises to foreigners and those foreigners said we'll hire or deploy mostly our "people" (well over 50%) and tough luck for you inferior Canadians, what the hell is wrong with that? Good for business? The bottom line rule$ doesn't it?

I've seen your posts for 10+ years. Even Stevie Wonder can see it's a longstanding complaint as opposed to some random observation.

Going back to your point in an earlier post about foreigners working in Canada, Canadian organizations often do hire non-Canadians in senior management positions. The TTC currently has a CEO from England and previously had at least one American in that position. Universities consistently hire non-Canadian professors. The Leafs have had two American General Managers in a row, Burke and Lamoriello, and MLSE has a soon-to-be-departing American CEO. If that's the system you want the CFL to emulate, then shouldn't you be a proponent of no CFL roster limits at all, whether National or International?
    \
    Hey - do any of these great Canadian organizations you're referring to have well over 50% foreigners in management/calling the shots and plus over 50% foreign employees as well ? The Maple Laughs ??? - what a well run Canadian institution; er, at least they make lot of money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think most of this stems from the fact that in a previous life OVA fought for British Canada in the War of 1812.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Which is why I'd be against it.

Hey - do any of these great Canadian organizations you're referring to have well over 50% foreigners in management/calling the shots and plus over 50% foreign employees as well ?.
    Don't know, don't care. Point is they're free to do so if they want to, assuming it's legally and practically possible.

Going back to your previous post again, a Canadian police force summarily firing half its officers is an example of something that would never happen because said force would get sued up the wazoo (and lose) for firing so many people without just cause. There also isn't a pool of unemployed AND competent American cops waiting somewhere who could seamlessly replace your fired officers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I like him, and am going to miss him on the TV broadcasts.
    I like his analysis of games on TV too, but not his coaching.