Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

2016 Top Twenty Draft List

New December top twenty draft list has been announced. The first 2 or 3 rounds appear to be good again this year. After looking it over I'm ready to make my first two round predictions.

Saskatchewan - DT David Onyemata (Manitoba)
    Winnipeg - (forfeit for foolishly using it on maybe a 3rd rounder)
    Montreal - DT Mehdi Abdesmad (Boston College)
    Vancouver - WR Tevaun Smith (Iowa)
    Toronto - OT Josiah St. John (Oklahoma)
    Hamilton - DB Arjen Colquhoun (Michigan St.)
    Calgary - RB Mercer Timmis (Calgary)
    Ottawa - OL Charles Vaillancourt (Laval)
    Edmonton - DT Mitchell Winters (Miami, Ohio)

Saskatchewan - OL Philippe Gagnon (Laval)
    Winnipeg - OL Jason Lauzon-Seguin (Laval)
    Montreal - DB Anthony Thompson (Southern Illinois)
    Vancouver - DB Taylor Loffler (UBC)
    Toronto - WR Llevi Noel (Toronto) Played Junior this year
    Hamilton - OL Dillon Guy (Buffalo)
    Calgary - DB Elie Bouka (Calgary)
    Ottawa - DE Trent Corney (Virgina)
    Edmonton - WR Juwan Brescacin (Northern Illinois)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    New December top twenty draft list has been announced. The first 2 or 3 rounds appear to be good again this year. After looking it over I'm ready to make my first two round predictions.

Saskatchewan - DT David Onyemata (Manitoba)
    Winnipeg - (forfeit for foolishly using it on maybe a 3rd rounder)
    Montreal - DT Mehdi Abdesmad (Boston College)
    Vancouver - WR Tevaun Smith (Iowa)
    Toronto - OT Josiah St. John (Oklahoma)
    Hamilton - DB Arjen Colquhoun (Michigan St.)
    Calgary - RB Mercer Timmis (Calgary)
    Ottawa - OL Charles Vaillancourt (Laval)
    Edmonton - DT Mitchell Winters (Miami, Ohio)

Saskatchewan - OL Philippe Gagnon (Laval)
    Winnipeg - OL Jason Lauzon-Seguin (Laval)
    Montreal - DB Anthony Thompson (Southern Illinois)
    Vancouver - DB Taylor Loffler (UBC)
    Toronto - WR Llevi Noel (Toronto) Played Junior this year
    Hamilton - OL Dillon Guy (Buffalo)
    Calgary - DB Elie Bouka (Calgary)
    Ottawa - DE Trent Corney (Virgina)
    Edmonton - WR Juwan Brescacin (Northern Illinois)

Reading up on O-lineman St, John - he has been with Oklahoma for 2 years and only has 4 starts over that time, and he was not starting in the game I saw towards the end of the year; maybe he is injured but if he lost his starting job in his senior year that is not a good sign IMO; and though it is a good sign that he has played on a top notch program = sign of talent, the scouts should be looking very carefully at this guy's actual play and not assuming; the Argos used a high pick on O-Lineman Joe Eppelle and he had very little college ball playing experience though I guess they assumed Div I program means a good pick. 1st round draft picks should IMO be proven or all-star or top stat type college ball players and not maybe type projects.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    the Argos used a high pick on O-Lineman Joe Eppelle and he had very little college ball playing experience though I guess they assumed Div I program means a good pick. 1st round draft picks should IMO be proven or all-star or top stat type college ball players and not maybe type projects.
    Eppelle was a good CFL player prior to getting injured.

Scouts also watch college practices, which are very competitive. Former super bowl winning QB Brad Johnson wan't a starter college either (started 6 games as a senior but was replaced by Casey Weldon at Florida State), but had a pretty good NFL career.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Eppelle was a good CFL player prior to getting injured.

Scouts also watch college practices, which are very competitive. Former super bowl winning QB Brad Johnson wan't a starter college either (started 6 games as a senior but was replaced by Casey Weldon at Florida State), but had a pretty good NFL career.

Disagree on Eppelle - he was not close to a good CFL O-lineman IMO, though he may have developed into one if he had got more time; Ben Hennan and Brent Jones are examples of proven, college ball all-star types who had almost immediate success in the pros - way better O-linemen than Eppelle. Vaiilancourt from this year's draft class has been a CIS all-Canadian, at guard, every year from a rookie on thru his entire college ball career (very rare territory is 4 straight national all-star teams - Fantuz is one other who did that i can name off-hand) = I'd tend to believe he might be the much more CFL ready player vs. St. John.

CFL scouts might get to watch some college ball practice and that is great - super, no stone unturned efforts should pay dividends; the CFL Combine tests and measurements are another tool; watching actual football games/play is still the best scouting tool by far IMO; and players who are on very good, winning programs get the extra experience of more playing time in the play-offs and against tougher competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    OVA give us your top 20 prospects for the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    OVA give us your top 20 prospects for the draft.
    I'd say it's very close to the recent (December) CFL Scouting Bureau list; especially after they added a previous glaring omission (slotback Brian Jones (Acadia) - big (6-4, 230 range), athletic receiver); they've also added UBC's kicker Van Glyswick and safety Loffler who were impressive in their run to the Vanier.

A number of good NCAA ball Canadians in this top 20. Might not seem like a real deep draft year, but some good top end talent perhaps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Reading up on O-lineman St, John - he has been with Oklahoma for 2 years and only has 4 starts over that time, and he was not starting in the game I saw towards the end of the year; maybe he is injured but if he lost his starting job in his senior year that is not a good sign IMO; and though it is a good sign that he has played on a top notch program = sign of talent, the scouts should be looking very carefully at this guy's actual play and not assuming; the Argos used a high pick on O-Lineman Joe Eppelle and he had very little college ball playing experience though I guess they assumed Div I program means a good pick. 1st round draft picks should IMO be proven or all-star or top stat type college ball players and not maybe type projects.
    Didn't know that about St. John not starting all the games. I caught an Oklahoma game back in September on TSN and I thought he played very well at Tackle. I think he would be an upgrade over Sewell.
    Also saw Dillon Guy play for Buffalo at left Guard , and wasn't surprised to see him drop in the ratings. Maybe he could play better at Center.

I have to disagree OV on Eppele. Don't forget he played on the DLine early in his College career before being switched to offence. I thought he was just coming into his own his last year with the Argos before his shoulder injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Would love for the Argos to end up getting that Beast Onyemata from Manitoba, but despite him only recently learning to play football, I suspect he will end up on an NFL PR at the very least.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I would love to see the Argonauts draft Josiah St John, the kid's a beast. Although, I suspect the top 5 rated players will get some NFL looks at the very least. Mitchell Winters and Quinn Van Gylswyk are also intriguing prospects.

Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Juwan Brescascin went to my highschool. One year younger. I was on Senior, he was the Junior QB. I was so excited of him playing QB next year on Sr. But he moved to the US for grade 11 to pursue basketball. Became a receiver at his American school and gave up on basketball. Made spectacular catches last year but kinda became a forgotten man on offence this season. Saw him play in Buffalo, got zero catches but blocked well. He might be viewed as a potential NFL TE and may try that before going to the CFL.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.