Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

The time John Candy tried to bring 49ers' Joe Montana to Canada

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_...rs-joe-montana

I believe that this may have been talked about a little bit in the Toronto Star at the time. Montana missed the 1991 season because of injuries and served as a back-up to Steve Young in 1992. I believe that Mark Rypien (being a Canadian) was also discussed. I'm going to try to find the article from the Star archives that discussed the possibility of both coming to the Argos (they were separate rumors).

In the article about Dunigan signing with Winnipeg on May 7, 1992 the Star says that there "is the possibility that the Argos will now pursue Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien with greater intensity." This would have been immediately after the Redskins beat the Bills in the Super Bowl. The Star also had an article on May 22, 1992 stating that Rypien was to meet with the Argos. It seems that this flirtation lasted throughout the season as Rick Matsumoto states on November 6, 1992 that Rickey Foggie's struggles likely weren't helped by this flirtation.

Now to try to find something from that time connecting Montana and the Argos. I'm pretty sure I remember reading it at some point.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As I recall the Montana stuff gained no traction but the Rypien stuff got a lot of attention.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Mark Rypien is about as "Canadian" as Ted Cruz
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Rypien was at SkyDome for an early-season game in which Rickey Foggie led the Argos to a huge win (62-10, I think) over Sask. His presence didn't affect Foggie that night but I bet it didn't help, either. It's a storyline I intend to pursue in a future book.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I dont think Mark Rypien would have been a successful CFL QB , he would have been the second coming of Dan Manucci

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    I dont think Mark Rypien would have been a successful CFL QB , he would have been the second coming of Dan Manucci

Except unlike Manucci, Rypien had success in the NFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Except unlike Manucci, Rypien had success in the NFL.
    Point well taken, but i also think that Dan Marino would have been a terrible CFL QB

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Point well taken, but i also think that Dan Marino would have been a terrible CFL QB
    Well I have no way of proving otherwise, but with his quick release (quickest I have ever seen) I respectfully disagree. I'm sure everyone thought David Archer would have been terrible too, but he put up some pretty good numbers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Well I have no way of proving otherwise, but with his quick release (quickest I have ever seen) I respectfully disagree. I'm sure everyone thought David Archer would have been terrible too, but he put up some pretty good numbers.

Archer could scramble a bit plus had some NFL experience, and came into the CFL on an established team - Sacramento had been a successful team in the old WLAF or what-ever the ***& it was called. I thought he looked good in the CFL right away ( i was at the first ever American team in the CFL regular season game at Lansdowne and the Gold Miners almost beat the mostly sad sack Ottawa Rough Riders of those days)

And IMO - the great pure passing / pocket QBs of all time - guys like Marino or Manning - would do just fine to great in any football league - NFL, CFL, touch, lingerie football, etc. They might not be as suited for the CFL as mobile, scrambling QBs like Flutie or Dunigan, but the notion that a Marino would struggle in the CFL is laughable to me - guy had a great arm and was smart, and the CFL is a passing league. If an immobile under 6' guy like McManus could do well in the CFL with a good arm, a 6-5 Marino with a better arm would have no problem. Rypien was not even close to Marino's class though, but he had a strong arm and was similarly big and immobile. - i think he could have done fine in a good passing CFL offence.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I remember the 1992 home opener when the Argos played the b.c.lions and Mark rypien was at the sideline behind the Argo bench. Ricky foggie led the Argos that night to a 61-20 win that night I remember rocket Ishmail scroring a touchdown and coming afterwards to mark rypien to embrace each other. After the game I remember there was a crowd of reporters from all over the place asking Ricky foggie about what he thought on Mark rypien being there and he kept on saying no comment like a thousand times in a 5 min period.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can appreciate that Marino had a quick release, he also had an excellent offensive line in Miami, which was also very good when Dave Woodley was the starter in 1981-1982 just prior to Marino being drafted. Marino wasn't a scrambler, but could be elusive in the pocket. Put him behind a rock solid offensive line and I'd be fascinated to see what Marino could do in the CFL.

What are people's opinions about Joe Montana playing in the CFL? He definitely had the smarts, but I'm not sure how well suited his arm strength would have been for the league. Enough people complain about Ray and Harris' tendency to check down. Well, Montana loved to use Roger Craig and Tom Rathman out of the backfield.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I can appreciate that Marino had a quick release, he also had an excellent offensive line in Miami, which was also very good when Dave Woodley was the starter in 1981-1982 just prior to Marino being drafted. Marino wasn't a scrambler, but could be elusive in the pocket. Put him behind a rock solid offensive line and I'd be fascinated to see what Marino could do in the CFL.

What are people's opinions about Joe Montana playing in the CFL? He definitely had the smarts, but I'm not sure how well suited his arm strength would have been for the league. Enough people complain about Ray and Harris' tendency to check down. Well, Montana loved to use Roger Craig and Tom Rathman out of the backfield.

You seriously have some doubts about wether Joe Montana would have been good in the CFL ??? - wow - cause IMO he is maybe the all-time greatest NFL QB - smart with great vision & reads, super accurate passing arm (never heard his arm strength questioned by NFL fans, though he maybe didn't have a rocket for an arm like some QBs), plus he was mobile and just plain won = he would have been an all-time great CFL QB talent if he played up here - IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Archer could scramble a bit plus had some NFL experience, and came into the CFL on an established team - Sacramento had been a successful team in the old WLAF or what-ever the ***& it was called. I thought he looked good in the CFL right away ( i was at the first ever American team in the CFL regular season game at Lansdowne and the Gold Miners almost beat the mostly sad sack Ottawa Rough Riders of those days)

And IMO - the great pure passing / pocket QBs of all time - guys like Marino or Manning - would do just fine to great in any football league - NFL, CFL, touch, lingerie football, etc. They might not be as suited for the CFL as mobile, scrambling QBs like Flutie or Dunigan, but the notion that a Marino would struggle in the CFL is laughable to me - guy had a great arm and was smart, and the CFL is a passing league. If an immobile under 6' guy like McManus could do well in the CFL with a good arm, a 6-5 Marino with a better arm would have no problem. Rypien was not even close to Marino's class though, but he had a strong arm and was similarly big and immobile. - i think he could have done fine in a good passing CFL offence.

OV, we are in 100% agreement here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post

Montana could have played in any league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As I recall the Montana stuff gained no traction but the Rypien stuff got a lot of attention.

That's the way I remember it to. As to their level of success in the CFL, I think Montana's combination of street smart football and passing skills would have made him lights out. However, I have my doubts about Rypien having a high level of success.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    That's the way I remember it to. As to their level of success in the CFL, I think Montana's combination of street smart football and passing skills would have made him lights out. However, I have my doubts about Rypien having a high level of success.
    Can't disagree there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah, I remember Rypien being interviewed and CBC all thought he was coming the CFL for sure because Rypien said "I'm going to lose 20lbs out there!" Hadn't known about the Montana rumour though, that was a fun read.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    While I have no doubt about Montana's greatness, and the possibilities of his abilities in the CFL, I will still put it in the situation of we'll never know. To say he would have ripped the league apart may be true, but stranger things have happened. I think his replacement in San Fran would have been a better fit. But who knows, a whole bunch of stuff has to come together for some players to have success in the CFL, and not all of it is pure talent. Maybe having to spend time in crappy dressing rooms is enough for a star player to not really care enough to put up his best effort. It wouldn't be the first time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't recall much being said about Montana coming to the Argos in the early 1990s but I do remember seeing some reports in the late 1970s that suggested that he would be heading to Canada as he wasn't considered a great NFL prospect at that time.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I don't recall much being said about Montana coming to the Argos in the early 1990s.
    I don't remember any talk at all.