Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I'm not surprised that Argo interest is low in my demographic (18 to 34). Unfortunately, my peers have the attitude that it's cool to slam the CFL. It's too bad since a lot of "football fans" miss out on watching pro football in Toronto because they feel they can't go to the Argos in fear they will lose their coolness card. Being an Argos fan is actually a part of my identity amongst my friends and I even have the occasional "closet" CFL fan confide with me from time to time lol. Don't get me started on how my generation are a bunch of lemmings lol.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Useless is a bit strong. It's revealing insofar as a last place Leafs team is still more popular than a playoff contending Raptors team. The demographic breakdowns by age and gender also give teams an idea where they have the most growth potential and if their efforts at reaching out are having an impact. It also helps explain why TFC TV ratings are so low despite the fervour of their ticket buying core.
    I did say useless was in my opinion. Also to me, the Leafs thing over the Raptors isn't surprising at all. Leafs are untouchable as far as followers go in this market. In my life time, no one will compete with them. As for TFC ratings vs ticket buyers, it's similar to New York and Chicago with hockey. There really aren't a lot of fans of those teams that aren't already going to the games.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobythor View Post
    I'm not surprised that Argo interest is low in my demographic (18 to 34). Unfortunately, my peers have the attitude that it's cool to slam the CFL. It's too bad since a lot of "football fans" miss out on watching pro football in Toronto because they feel they can't go to the Argos in fear they will lose their coolness card. Being an Argos fan is actually a part of my identity amongst my friends and I even have the occasional "closet" CFL fan confide with me from time to time lol. Don't get me started on how my generation are a bunch of lemmings lol.
    The millennials I know would rather drive to party at a Bills game than stay close to home for the Argos. If the Fan Zone in the south end takes off, do you think it would pull in more of your friends?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I did say useless was in my opinion. Also to me, the Leafs thing over the Raptors isn't surprising at all. Leafs are untouchable as far as followers go in this market. In my life time, no one will compete with them. As for TFC ratings vs ticket buyers, it's similar to New York and Chicago with hockey. There really aren't a lot of fans of those teams that aren't already going to the games.
    The Blackhawks are second only to the Cubs in regional tv ratings; at least a couple-few years ago they were.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I have a 4 to 5 friends who are casual fans that have gone to games with me, gotten my seats when I couldn't use them or benefitted from my freebies. Generally, these friends will only go to games when prompted by me, the move to BMO has sparked their interest, a couple were looking into seasons and the others told me the will be going to a few games for sure. Most of the die hard haters haven't shown anymore interest as of yet but if it becomes cool I can see them going "remember they are followers". I do believe that the potential tailgate and fan zone will increase the chances of making the Argos a cool thing. If the Argos can win over liberty village millenials they will have a good chance of making it perceived as cool. I decided to up my social media post of good times at the games with hopes of getting friends and acquaintances interested.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad that people have to feel the need to be like sheep or lemmings just following the crowd. This is no different then when my former friends would joke about the Argos and this was 20 to 30 years ago. Those buttplugs haven't been my friends for about that long at this point. Not too much in the mainstream is cool to me. Yet most people need some sort of validation and think that certain things are cool because they are mass marketed to death. I've never given a crap what people think. If any of your buddies got a chance to meet NFL players and CFL players they'd think that the CFL players are cool, down to earth guys who have the time for average folks. I put money on the fact that NFL players on the whole would be DICKS!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    The millennials I know would rather drive to party at a Bills game than stay close to home for the Argos. If the Fan Zone in the south end takes off, do you think it would pull in more of your friends?
    This says a lot when one considers that it is over a two hour drive to get to the game/party and one then has to watch the Buffalo Bills. These people must really want to party.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    This says a lot when one considers that it is over a two hour drive to get to the game/party and one then has to watch the Buffalo Bills. These people must really want to party.
    I guess when one's team has missed the playoffs as long as the Bills all that's left is to get plastered and hope you end up in a deadspin article.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Too bad that people have to feel the need to be like sheep or lemmings just following the crowd. This is no different then when my former friends would joke about the Argos and this was 20 to 30 years ago. Those buttplugs haven't been my friends for about that long at this point. Not too much in the mainstream is cool to me. Yet most people need some sort of validation and think that certain things are cool because they are mass marketed to death. I've never given a crap what people think. If any of your buddies got a chance to meet NFL players and CFL players they'd think that the CFL players are cool, down to earth guys who have the time for average folks. I put money on the fact that NFL players on the whole would be DICKS!
    You bring up a good point, even 30-40 years ago when the Argonauts were getting 40-45k crowds I remember many comments intimating that the CFL was a substandard product to the NFL.
    Unfortunately the CFL stuck with the assinine blackout policy instead of exposing the game to as many fans as possible resulting in a couple of generations getting their football fix watching the NFL on TV.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions